Norm Fieldgate article in Vancouver Courier

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The local weekly freebie Vancouver Courier printed an article on NF today, mostly reminiscing on his playing days (unfortunately the name of Annis Stukus is misspelled throughout), with some Empire Stadium historical info thrown in. I haven't been able to find an online version of it on their website but it may surface there eventually. For now appears in today's print edition on pages A52 & A53, entitled " A Lion named 'Mouse' ".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
goldenalcid
prospect

This is the link to the online version of the article: http://www.vancourier.com/sports/cfl-hi ... -1.2121415
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Courier has now posted the article online — with the Stukus misspellings uncorrected:

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/cfl-hi ... -1.2121415

Excerpt:
At six-foot-two and 205 pounds, one of the toughest linebackers in Vancouver’s football history answered to the improbable nickname of “Mouse.”

“When I was a kid in Regina I was just a little guy, and they called me Mouse,” said Norm Fieldgate, who was 22 when he became the first player signed to the B.C. Lions.

“When I came to Vancouver to play football, nobody knew that. But soon a few of my buddies came out and they called me that again.”

Hunting his half-back prey off the line of scrimmage got Fieldgate named to the 1959, 1960 and 1963 Western All-Star teams and to the CFL All-Star team in 1963. The next year, he won the Grey Cup with B.C., dropping Hamilton 34-24 in Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium by holding off a come-back from the Tiger-Cats who had defeated the Lions a year earlier.
Edit: huh, weird, for some reason the other post before mine didn't appear when I posted the above earlier this morning.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.