Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Jeff Tedford said Monday he has a great relationship with Wally and leaned on him a lot this year but expects to exert more authority next year in the final year of his contract (and Wally's). That's a natural evolution for a first-year head coach who has been out of the league for so long. Change will happen naturally without Wally losing his job.
“I was in a position in my first year to do a lot of listening,” said Tedford after returning to the CFL for the first time since he worked both with, and later under, Buono as an offensive assistant in Calgary (1989-91). “I can impart many more of my ideas and opinions on things, but I’d be foolish to think that all my opinions and ideas were the right way to do things without talking with someone who has been here for so long.”
Province article
Thank god....... it looks like Tedford will feel he has to do less listening to Wally next year. :beer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

maxlion wrote:CardiacKid nailed it in the cleaning house thread: there needs to be a viable alternative.

Buono is likely nearing the end of a long and hugely successful career. I am sure that he has thought long and hard about a succession plan, and suspect that he will willingly step down when he is confident that the franchise is in good hands moving forward. Personally, I feel comfortable with Buono making that call provided that there are signs that we are moving towards a succession.

This posturing gets mentioned time and again by a select few fans...fire the HC? Who would replace him? There's nobody out there available. Fire Washington, Cortez or McMann? There's nobody out there available.

This is nonsense, period. Over the past 20 years no other component of professional football has grown more than coaching. It starts down at the high school level and works its way up. There are a number of qualified CFL position coaches that would make excellent coordinators UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES! There a tons of extremely bright US coaches that might take a coordinator position in Canada to speed up their "timeline". Bright and capable coaches and GMs are available to replace what we have here, but they won't succeed unless the coaching staff are ALL on the same page and under the total control of the HC. Clearly, Tedford was "given" Washington and McMann as two of his coordinators, and "selected" George Cortez to run his offence when he had fired him in California! Tedford did NOT have carte balance as HC in his first season and ONLY when he took active control of his various "teams" did they show signs of improvement.

For me, if Tedford (or whomever our HC is next year) does NOT get full control over this football team, my time as a Lion's fan will be done.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Jeff Tedford said Monday he has a great relationship with Wally and leaned on him a lot this year but expects to exert more authority next year in the final year of his contract (and Wally's). That's a natural evolution for a first-year head coach who has been out of the league for so long. Change will happen naturally without Wally losing his job.
“I was in a position in my first year to do a lot of listening,” said Tedford after returning to the CFL for the first time since he worked both with, and later under, Buono as an offensive assistant in Calgary (1989-91). “I can impart many more of my ideas and opinions on things, but I’d be foolish to think that all my opinions and ideas were the right way to do things without talking with someone who has been here for so long.”
Province article
Thank god....... it looks like Tedford will feel he has to do less listening to Wally next year. :beer:

I'm not sure I get the same sense of anticipation as you do Blitz over reading this. I am not aware of a single successful HC in the history of professional football who spoke (speaks) like this...
“I can impart many more of my ideas and opinions on things, but I’d be foolish to think that all my opinions and ideas were the right way to do things without talking with someone who has been here for so long.”
If you, as a HC, don't understand the CFL game then don't take the job! And who in their right mind hires a HC with this much personal insecurity about being the person in control? This is the CFL and professional sports in Vancouver...you can't afford to give a HC or team a Mulligan. Tedford needed to be ready to take full control from day one with the Lions, and he still doesn't sound like he will. "Leaning" upon Wally won't get it done Jeff, the CFL game started to pass him by back in 2008! When it smells like it, looks like it and tastes like it...it probably is...

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I don't buy that Wally is the root of all the Lion's problems. Get rid of him and "poof" we'll be back on the winning track. I doubt it's that easy and who would the Lions hire to replace him? Somebody new and exciting I guess, who might know what they're doing...but then again might not. Should we gamble and find out? Maybe we could be more like the Bombers? Is anybody better than Buono and his meddling in the coach's affairs? He's only the winningest coach in CFL history with a tremendous track record in developing outstanding players, especially QB's. As a coach his teams finished in 1st place 13 times in his 22 years as head coach. But that's ancient history I guess?

Buono's playoff record is less than stellar for the winningest coach in CFL history.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:I don't buy that Wally is the root of all the Lion's problems. Get rid of him and "poof" we'll be back on the winning track. I doubt it's that easy and who would the Lions hire to replace him? Somebody new and exciting I guess, who might know what they're doing...but then again might not. Should we gamble and find out? Maybe we could be more like the Bombers? Is anybody better than Buono and his meddling in the coach's affairs? He's only the winningest coach in CFL history with a tremendous track record in developing outstanding players, especially QB's. As a coach his teams finished in 1st place 13 times in his 22 years as head coach. But that's ancient history I guess?

Buono's playoff record is less than stellar for the winningest coach in CFL history.

And now, so is his regular season record. If Stubler doesn't take over the Defence after game 7 in 2011 and if Chapdelaine didn't get the freedom to run his "Chap ball" offence, what would everyone be saying (league wide) about Wally's Lions since 2008???

Albert Einstein
maxlion
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
maxlion wrote:CardiacKid nailed it in the cleaning house thread: there needs to be a viable alternative.

Buono is likely nearing the end of a long and hugely successful career. I am sure that he has thought long and hard about a succession plan, and suspect that he will willingly step down when he is confident that the franchise is in good hands moving forward. Personally, I feel comfortable with Buono making that call provided that there are signs that we are moving towards a succession.

This posturing gets mentioned time and again by a select few fans...fire the HC? Who would replace him? There's nobody out there available. Fire Washington, Cortez or McMann? There's nobody out there available.

This is nonsense, period. Over the past 20 years no other component of professional football has grown more than coaching. It starts down at the high school level and works its way up. There are a number of qualified CFL position coaches that would make excellent coordinators UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES! There a tons of extremely bright US coaches that might take a coordinator position in Canada to speed up their "timeline". Bright and capable coaches and GMs are available to replace what we have here, but they won't succeed unless the coaching staff are ALL on the same page and under the total control of the HC. Clearly, Tedford was "given" Washington and McMann as two of his coordinators, and "selected" George Cortez to run his offence when he had fired him in California! Tedford did NOT have carte balance as HC in his first season and ONLY when he took active control of his various "teams" did they show signs of improvement.

For me, if Tedford (or whomever our HC is next year) does NOT get full control over this football team, my time as a Lion's fan will be done.
This thread and my comments were about Buono's future. Who would you replace him with? (not saying he can't or never should be replaced, just interested in your opinion).
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:

5 cups and 9 appearances in the finals over 22 years is pretty good. In fact, pretty much the best in history.
Blitz
Team Captain

Don Mathews was an outstanding defensive coordinator and Head Coach for a long time (and he was a coach HC and not a 'manager HC) but his time arrived as everyone's time does, no matter what their past record.

Wally has never developed a quarterback in his career. He had his assistants develop them.

Tedford was supposed to succeed Wally as GM and HC as part of the succession plan. That is probably why Tedford is stuck listening to him.

Like MLF, I have found it frustrating that Tedford did not assume stronger leadership of this Leo team sooner. Its been a very conservative approach that seemed to change some towards the end of the season and hopefully Tedford, with a rep as an offensive innovator, will increase his leadership next year.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is a pretty amazing divide ...

* Those that want Wally to remain, and point to his record over the years. Patience and loyalty stand out.

* Those that are critical of our results, and see responsibility for those poor results at Wally's desk, seeing his effectiveness fade in the face of changes in the league. There is impatience with ultra conservative football on offence, defence and special teams. "What have you done for us lately?"

Dunno how Sekeres' poll turned out. At one point it was 65-35 wanting Wally to retire.

It looks, based on the Sekeres interview, like Wally is staying. He asks: "Why should I leave?"

So he stays at least one more year.

Do we expect our record to improve next year?

How is it possible that Jeff Tedford took a hands off approach this year? He took the year to watch and learn. That is astonishing. It would certainly seem to indicate a heavy dose of what Wally wants with coaches, systems, personnel, everything. I side with Blitz and MLF regarding this. It is a head shaker. New Head Coach is in listen and learn mode. Just a head shaker.

To me this is organizational dysfunction. Who is in charge? It seems like Wally was in charge.

So it seems that through this off season, those loyal to Wally can be happy that he is back for at least one more year.

And those restless for a change can continue to be restless.

Will we see a more attack oriented football team next year? Ummmm ... The odds are that we will see more of the same.

Will we see support for the team grow? I doubt it very much. We will probably lose Lulay as a player, if not altogether. We will probably lose Andrew Harris. Manny Arceneaux? I would guess it is about 45-55 against his returning.

So there we are ... I would say it is status quo in the organization, with the possible loss of Neil McAvoy as well. He does a huge amount of managerial work. Contracts. Organizing. Personnel work. If he is a candidate for GM somewhere else, it would seem logical that he should be a candidate here also. But that is not likely with Wally remaining, one would think.

For myself, I am resolved ... Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. Humble times, it would seem. Are we ready to compete with Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton, even Ottawa and Toronto? Ummm ... One could say: Sure. Or one could say: Where is the proof? We are 7 and 11.

Hooray. Status quo. One thinks we can look forward to many inspirational words in the off season. After Hawaii, at any rate.

Ya know ... This is the cyclical nature of football, et cetera.

Just IMO, as a fan of the Lions and of the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
almo89
Legend

Blitz wrote:Tedford was supposed to succeed Wally as GM and HC as part of the succession plan. That is probably why Tedford is stuck listening to him.
Although not official, I always thought that might be the case. Tedford probably biting his tongue all season long. Hopefully he gets more control next season
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

5 cups and 9 appearances in the finals over 22 years is pretty good. In fact, pretty much the best in history.
His record could even be better except for some questionable decision. One that comes to mind is his decision to start a rusty Dave Dickenson in the Grey Cup over MOP Casey Printers. Printers didn't enter into the game til late in the 4th quarter.
Blitz
Team Captain

[/quote] Buono's playoff record is less than stellar for the winningest coach in CFL history.[/quote]

5 cups and 9 appearances in the finals over 22 years is pretty good. In fact, pretty much the best in history.[/quote]

His record could even be better except for some questionable decision. One that comes to mind is his decision to start a rusty Dave Dickenson in the Grey Cup over MOP Casey Printers. Printers didn't enter into the game til late in the 4th quarter.[/quote]

That was actually the WDF in 2005. Printers never saw the field in the 2004 Grey Cup game, after winning the MOP.
Blitz
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
Blitz wrote:Tedford was supposed to succeed Wally as GM and HC as part of the succession plan. That is probably why Tedford is stuck listening to him.
Although not official, I always thought that might be the case. Tedford probably biting his tongue all season long. Hopefully he gets more control next season
I'm kinda imagining the first meeting with Tedford and Wally, after Wally hired Tedford by phone.

Tedford: "Do you want me to call you Wally or Pasquale?
Buono: Just call me "The Legend"

Tedford: How is this going to work?
Buono: You've been away from the CFL for a long time...I'll mentor you.

Tedford: Are you sure you have the time for that as GM?
Buono: No problem. I did it for Benevedes and Chap. Wrote notes for them to use after every practice.

Tedford: Why are neither here anymore?
Buono: Unfortunately they were HUMANS and frail and wanted to try their own ideas. It never works.

Tedford: I was thinking I would like to use an H Back Tight End system
Buono: I already have a playbook for you to use...its the one I developed in Calgary in 1990

Tedford: Huh? (thinking that Huff and himself developed it) That was 25 years ago...it still works?
Buono: Works like a hot dam....all you gotta do is get the players to EXECUTE.

Buono goes over to his filing cabinet and pulls out a play book and hands it to Tedford

Tedford: My god, this looks like the original copy. (Tedford looks at the cover and Hufnagel/Tedford's names are crossed out and Buono's name is over written)
Buono: Yes, it is. All of my offensive ideas are still there.

Tedford: Are all players under contract for next season
Buono: Nope. I'll need to get rid of some vets.

Tedford: Any specific reasons?
Buono: Yup, they are easy to sign for their first contract because they just want to make the team and their second contract is fairly easy because they want to start but their third contract is a *beeotch* because they start thinking about their families and how well they played and they want more money.

Tedford: Why don't you pay them?
Buono: Because I get to keep 50% of every dollar that I bring the budget lower than the SMS. And besides, do you know what I got paid back when I played? Do you realize how expensive erasors are these days? Do yo realize the costs of photocopying? (Tedford now figures out why Huff and his name were crossed out on the cover of the original play book)

Tedford: Sounds kinda cold.
Buono: Its one of my many strengths.

Tedford: I've looked at the tape and we could use a free agents.
Buono: They are hard to sign here.

Tedford: Why is that?
Buono: Numerous reasons. Its hard to compete with Hamilton because its the Steel City and cars are cheaper to buy there. Some go to Montreal because they want to learn French. But Winnipeg is the toughest place to compete for free agents. That city has a lot of culture that attracts free agents and autumn is beautiful there in late fall.

Tedford glances at the quote written on Wally's wall behind his desk..."Control isn't everything...its the only thing"

Tedford: How about my coaching staff?
Wally: Well, you're lucky there. You'll have Washington and McMann. I mentored them myself. Washington even played for me. Cortez is available for your offensive coordinator. I know you fired him at one time but he knows the playbook. He still uses it everywhere he goes. He was trained in the Wally Way so you can't go wrong. Khari used the play book last season but he couldn't get them to EXECUTE it so make him your receivers coach for next season.

Tedford: Sounds like you have everything figured out.
Buono: I'm not the Legend for nothing.

Tedford: How about the media?
Buono: Let me handle most of it. Tell them you're busy getting up to speed in the CFL.

Buono: We'll meet here after practice each day and I'll suggest who should be starting. Rely on my experience.
Tedford: Its going to be different.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
almo89 wrote:
I'm kinda imagining the first meeting with Tedford and Wally, after Wally hired Tedford by phone.

Tedford: "Do you want me to call you Wally or Pasquale?
Buono: Just call me "The Legend"

Tedford: How is this going to work?
Buono: You've been away from the CFL for a long time...I'll mentor you.

Tedford: Are you sure you have the time for that as GM?
Buono: No problem. I did it for Benevedes and Chap. Wrote notes for them to use after every practice.

Tedford: Why are neither here anymore?
Buono: Unfortunately they were HUMANS and frail and wanted to try their own ideas. It never works.

Tedford: I was thinking I would like to use an H Back Tight End system
Buono: I already have a playbook for you to use...its the one I developed in Calgary in 1990

Tedford: Huh? (thinking that Huff and himself developed it) That was 25 years ago...it still works?
Buono: Works like a hot dam....all you gotta do is get the players to EXECUTE.

Buono goes over to his filing cabinet and pulls out a play book and hands it to Tedford

Tedford: My god, this looks like the original copy. (Tedford looks at the cover and Hufnagel/Tedford's names are crossed out and Buono's name is over written)
Buono: Yes, it is. All of my offensive ideas are still there.

Tedford: Are all players under contract for next season
Buono: Nope. I'll need to get rid of some vets.

Tedford: Any specific reasons?
Buono: Yup, they are easy to sign for their first contract because they just want to make the team and their second contract is fairly easy because they want to start but their third contract is a *beeotch* because they start thinking about their families and how well they played and they want more money.

Tedford: Why don't you pay them?
Buono: Because I get to keep 50% of every dollar that I bring the budget lower than the SMS. And besides, do you know what I got paid back when I played? Do you realize how expensive erasors are these days? Do yo realize the costs of photocopying? (Tedford now figures out why Huff and his name were crossed out on the cover of the original play book)

Tedford: Sounds kinda cold.
Buono: Its one of my many strengths.

Tedford: I've looked at the tape and we could use a free agents.
Buono: They are hard to sign here.

Tedford: Why is that?
Buono: Numerous reasons. Its hard to compete with Hamilton because its the Steel City and cars are cheaper to buy there. Some go to Montreal because they want to learn French. But Winnipeg is the toughest place to compete for free agents. That city has a lot of culture that attracts free agents and autumn is beautiful there in late fall.

Tedford glances at the quote written on Wally's wall behind his desk..."Control isn't everything...its the only thing"

Tedford: How about my coaching staff?
Wally: Well, you're lucky there. You'll have Washington and McMann. I mentored them myself. Washington even played for me. Cortez is available for your offensive coordinator. I know you fired him at one time but he knows the playbook. He still uses it everywhere he goes. He was trained in the Wally Way so you can't go wrong. Khari used the play book last season but he couldn't get them to EXECUTE it so make him your receivers coach for next season.

Tedford: Sounds like you have everything figured out.
Buono: I'm not the Legend for nothing.

Tedford: How about the media?
Buono: Let me handle most of it. Tell them you're busy getting up to speed in the CFL.

Buono: We'll meet here after practice each day and I'll suggest who should be starting. Rely on my experience.
Tedford: Its going to be different.

Absolutely brilliant...and likely true...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the chuckles, Blitz.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.