The Gadget Play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zeppo
Starter

Cute! But I don't really want to see the team's number one quarterback running downfield as a receiver.
It worked this time, but it could just as easily have ended in disaster. When Jennings caught the pass,
he was between two Riders, and was fortunate to have avoided being hit by the safety. In future
games, Cortez would be smart to refrain from calling this play again, at least with Jennings as
a receiver.
prj
Starter

Agreed.

Just for reference, supposing that had been Travis at QB, would ANYBODY have approved of that play call?

Doubt it. He would have gone for the catch even harder!
aklawitter
All Star

You would seem to fit in with Wally's philosophies.
JohnHenry
Champion

This is about setting the tone for the team with the coach showing confidence in his players, high risk high reward, winning at any cost. If they're worried about injuries, they should stay home and watch on TV (although 2/3rd's of all injuries happen in the home :shock: )
The_Pauser
Legend

Loved the play call and the creativity. Let the boys have some fun.

This is a play they've practiced almost every week. Didn't quite get it done when I saw it last week, but it looked great in the game. Predictable? Not at all.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The TSN guys pointed out that even if the Lions never run that play again it now becomes something that the opposition plans for. It might be nice to run it again some time but throw it to someone else while drawing a defender into covering Jennings on the play.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Its more than just risky for our QB, in a game where the outcome was NOT in jeopardy, you DON'T tip your hand for other teams to now be aware of. That might have been a play that was needed on the road in the playoffs. Coaches know, never tip your hand unless you have to.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
zeppo
Starter

JohnHenry wrote:This is about setting the tone for the team with the coach showing confidence in his players, high risk high reward, winning at any cost. If they're worried about injuries, they should stay home and watch on TV (although 2/3rd's of all injuries happen in the home :shock: )

The Lions were way ahead at that point in the game. There was no reason to play "high risk" football.
When Jennings made the catch I jumped out my seat the same as everybody around me.
However, when I watched the replay, and saw Tristen Jackson coming downhill on Jennings, who
was stretched out to catch the football, I felt more than a little uneasy. It appeared that Jackson
played the ball rather than the receiver, but he could have opted instead to put his shoulder into
Jenning's ribs, or to his head.

Far too high risk for me, especially in a game that was already won.
zeppo
Starter

DanoT wrote:The TSN guys pointed out that even if the Lions never run that play again it now becomes something that the opposition plans for. It might be nice to run it again some time but throw it to someone else while drawing a defender into covering Jennings on the play.
Or use it as a misdirection play by having Harris and Collie run past each other, but with Harris keeping the ball.
Or having Harris flip the ball to Collie, who could stop, and pass it back to Harris on the fly.
peeby
Starter

Supposing it was when Travis was playing, would anyone call that play? I would have. As a matter of fact, I would have called it over and over till they dragged poor Travis's inert body off the field. Then, it would have been Beck's turn. Basically, I think I'm amongst a large group of Lions fans who wanted to move on to Jennings right at the beginning of the year and not have to go through the pain of watching Buck Travis once again. Travis Pierce? Ahhhh.. great guy, but him then Beck was just that ridiculous conservatism that befits losing football.
zeppo
Starter

peeby wrote:Supposing it was when Travis was playing, would anyone call that play? I would have. As a matter of fact, I would have called it over and over till they dragged poor Travis's inert body off the field.

But I bet you loved him when he brought the Lions back in the first Riders game this season, and when he beat the
Eskimos with that beautiful touch pass to Harris.
Despite his injuries and struggles this season, Travis does not deserve to be shown such disrespect.
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Its more than just risky for our QB, in a game where the outcome was NOT in jeopardy, you DON'T tip your hand for other teams to now be aware of. That might have been a play that was needed on the road in the playoffs. Coaches know, never tip your hand unless you have to.
I doubt it's something that would be used in a playoff game. Or when any game is on the line. If so, why wouldn't they have run that play last week in Edmonton?
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was hugely impressed by that play for the absolutely purrfect execution. Not sure which impressed me more; the way Jennings ran the route like a veteran receiver finding the seam or the way Collie delivered a purrfect pass like a veteran QB into what was a fairly small opening between defenders. Usually on these plays the ball goes out like a half wounded duck.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I love the play. Can't believe that only a few weeks ago posters were *beeotch* and whining about the bland and predictable offence. Now people are complaining that it's a high risk play. When you have a team down that is not the time to play conservative. Remember 2 weeks ago in Edmonton ? Lions had a comfortable lead and they went into a conservative mode and allow the Eskimos come back and win it. All plays have an inherent risk. There was a buzz in the stands after the play. You can see the excitement of both the fans and the players.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As noted there was a heavy shot coming at Jennings just after he caught the ball. Have not looked closely, but it looked like the DB let him off the hook. He had him lined up. Could have really nailed Jennings. From memory I do not know if Jennings made the guy miss.

It is not as if he was ignored. There was a guy close to him, trying to stay with him. Nice play. It worked. Most of the fans liked it. The pass was good enough. Jennings did well with it.

I can't say it really fooled the Riders. Enough to get Jennings a step or so behind the DB.

This fan does not like putting QBs at risk. Running -- OK. They can get down. Receiving? Big target.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.