Riders @ Lions -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jennings :thup:

Some of us have liked what we saw from the get go.

He liberates Harris.

Draheim :thup:

Can't get too high, though, can we?

Two ST screwups in a row. :thdn:

Stats and more later.

Menard. :thup:

This is the CFL. QBs make all the difference. And it looks like we have a very, very promising one in Jennings.

We could have had Nick Demski in the draft. Where is our guy?

15 points by the Riders in the 4th Q.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. JENNINGS 19/25 364 4 0
A. COLLIE 1/1 21 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
L. HAWKINS 5 93 0 51
E. ARCENEAUX 4 137 2 82
B. BURNHAM 4 57 1 33
C. RAINEY 2 57 0 33
S. GORE 2 15 1 10
A. HARRIS 2 5 0 6
J. JENNINGS 1 21 1 21

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 10 81 0 23
J. JENNINGS 5 40 0 17

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
R. LEONE 1 1 0 0
A. HOFFMAN-ELLIS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

R. LEONE
3/4 42 3/5 13

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. LEONE 2 48.5 88 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. RAINEY 5 36 7.2 11 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. LEONE 10 655 70 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 2 42 21.0 23 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
T. LEE 5 0 0 0
A. HOFFMAN-ELLIS 4 0 0 0
D. MENARD 3 2 0 0
R. YELL 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 3 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 2 2 1 0
R. PHILLIPS 2 0 1 0
A. BIGHILL 2 0 0 0
B. LOKOMBO 2 0 0 0
K. SMITH 2 0 0 0
C. ROH 2 0 0 0
C. RWABUKAMBA 2 0 0 0
S. CLARKE 2 0 0 0
E. FRASER 1 0 0 0
R. CURRAN 1 0 0 0
Z. MINTER 1 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 0 0 0 1
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 15/21 185 0 2
B. SMITH 3/4 37 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 5 56 0 27
R. SMITH 4 80 0 50
W. DRESSLER 3 22 0 10
N. DEMSKI 2 17 0 10
N. ROOSEVELT 1 21 0 21
R. BAGG 1 16 0 16
A. ALLEN 1 7 0 7
S. MOORE 1 3 0 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 8 29 0 10
A. ALLEN 4 8 0 6
K. GLENN 2 13 0 8
B. SMITH 1 6 0 6
R. BAGG 1 3 0 3

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
K. GLENN 1 1 0 0
K. MACDOUGALL 0 0 1 1

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

P. MCCALLUM
1/2 28 0/0 4

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. EARLY 6 43.8 227 51

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
N. DEMSKI 1 9 9.0 9 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. EARLY 3 153 70 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. JACKSON 6 185 30.8 48 0
N. DEMSKI 2 65 32.5 33 0
A. ALLEN 2 48 24.0 26 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. MONROE 4 1 0 0
J. KNOX JR. 4 0 0 0
T. BRACKENRIDGE 4 0 0 0
V. HARRIS 4 0 0 0
T. JACKSON 4 0 0 0
J. MERTILE 3 0 0 0
M. WEBSTER 2 0 0 0
J. CHICK 2 0 0 0
M. GREEN 1 0 0 0
D. CLARK 1 0 0 0
S. MOORE 1 0 0 0
C. BEST 1 0 0 0
D. UNAMBA 1 0 0 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Qtr Time Team Pos D/Y Play
4 1:52 BC S28 2/4 (1:52) S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE Run (2 yds), Tackle: D. UNAMBA
4 2:17 BC S34 1/10 (2:17) A. HARRIS Run (6 yds), Tackle: A. MONROE
4 2:39 BC S39 2/3 (2:39) A. HARRIS Run (5 yds), Tackle: D. UNAMBA
4 2:47 BC S46 1/10 (2:47) A. HARRIS Run (7 yds), Tackle: K. REGIMBALD-GAGNE
What a difference Jennings makes. To our running game.
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 13 99 0 23
J. JENNINGS 5 40 0 17
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 1 2 0 2
01:30 left in the game.

Brooks, Menard with two sacks, two sacks. How was Dan Dorazio's pass protection?

maxlion
Legend

Outstanding performance by Jennings. The most exciting and positive qb performance in bc in a long time. Strong game by Harris as well. Is Draheim that important to this team? Seems like it! Can't see anyone faulting Cortez' playcalling in this game.

Special teams were inept. Missed fg and converts, gave up multpile big returns, lost on side kick, blocked punt against, no holes for Rainey, botched kick off...

Dline was strong. Chris R got burned a couple of times. D got turnovers. Glenn played awful. Riders #1 offense nowhere in sight this game.

A dominant win to put us back in the playoffs! Very exciting to see Jennings' take over the #1 QB position once and for all!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Is the most exciting young QB since Casey Printers 11 years ago helping this much maligned organization at last turn corner? Maybe but I haven't felt this good about this team in a long time thanks to #10.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Jennings may remind us of the excitement of Printers on the field but off field he is a totally different cat. In a very good way.
peeby
Starter

Great effort by the offence and defence, but, and it's a big but, Saskatchewan is absolutely appalling. I'm trying not to get too wound up over what I saw (which was pretty fabulous). Would like to see the Lions continue to make this kind of effort against the Blue Bombers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Is the most exciting young QB since Casey Printers 11 years ago helping this much maligned organization at last turn corner? Maybe but I haven't felt this good about this team in a long time thanks to #10.
Jennings completed five passes of 30 yards or more in this game. It took until the sixth game of the year to reach that total under Lulay. Jennings opens up the offence and makes plays. A lot of it is by scrambling on his own and finding receivers open downfield, then hitting them on the fly. The Lions have lived and died with a short-passing possession offence for years. It requires purrfect execution to move the ball successfully, and it's easy for defences to cheat by stacking the box against the run and committing eight pass defenders to stopping the short passing game.

Lulay could once do a lot of the things that Jennings has been doing but Lulay has never had the arm strength and accuracy of Jennings and he can no longer throw on the run. The comparison between Jennings and Printers is obvious. On the postgame show on TSN 1040 the commentators kept alluding to Printers without naming him. Everyone knows that didn't end well. For now, the Lions just have to ride Jennings as long and far as he will carry them.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ok, time to eat some :crow:

I gave Arceneaux a pretty hard time a couple of weeks back but I also said I would give him credit when it was due and IMO it was due tonight. He has played pretty decently in the last couple of games and his 82 yard TD was pretty darn nice especially with the YAC yards. So here is to you MA. You had a very good game tonight and you deserve the credit.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: Jennings completed five passes of 30 yards or more in this game. It took until the sixth game of the year to reach that total under Lulay. Jennings opens up the offence and makes plays. A lot of it is by scrambling on his own and finding receivers open downfield, then hitting them on the fly. The Lions have lived and died with a short-passing possession offence for years. It requires purrfect execution to move the ball successfully, and it's easy for defences to cheat by stacking the box against the run and committing eight pass defenders to stopping the short passing game.
Yes.
Lulay could once do a lot of the things that Jennings has been doing but Lulay has never had the arm strength and accuracy of Jennings and he can no longer throw on the run. The comparison between Jennings and Printers is obvious. On the postgame show on TSN 1040 the commentators kept alluding to Printers without naming him. Everyone knows that didn't end well. For now, the Lions just have to ride Jennings as long and far as he will carry them.
Yes, again.

Without naming Printers? LOL ... He brought us to a Grey Cup. He didn't get to play in it. Some fans still remember him with affection. Always good with the fans, it seems to me. And could he ever play. Oh yes. Jennings is seemingly equally effective, but somehow less spectacular, quieter. Same results, different style. Jennings is so calm, he almost shows no pulse. Like a good surgeon. LOL

Boy, did we score with this guy. NFL, keep your mitts off. He does not look anything like Russell Wilson. :wink: Ummm ... in fact ...

These smaller, mobile, very, very effective QBs used to be the prerogative of the CFL. Those days are past.

CardiacKid
Legend

An absolutely entertaining game and pretty much what I was hoping for when Tedford made his proclamation upon his hiring as to how the Lions were going to play. Hopefully we will continue to see this style of play; no more playing to protect the lead, keep it aggressive and smart (very few flags, don't know if there were any that could be characterized as selfish or stupid).
Jennings was a treat to watch and from our seat in the stands, he appeared to be very calm regardless of when he was flushed from the pocket and stayed within himself. Namely all those adjectives we have heard used to describe him came into play. Very enthusiastic about the young man but have to temper that...have to remember that Rakeem Cato was being hailed after beating Calgary. Things haven't gone entirely swimmingly for him since then.

Perhaps Tedford only truly shines as a coach if he has a young quarterback he can mentor?

It was also great to see the D-line shine at home and especially pleased for David Menard. Also great to see Manny fight for balls and YAC yards. Also loved to see Hawkins extend himself for that non-catch...tremendous effort. Loved seeing Harris have a solid game without having to be the hero for a change....maybe, just maybe, he can return to the form he is capable of if the opposition is distracted by another Lion.

Ultimately it was great to see the team play like they were having fun. Play loose and good stuff happens.

Yes, it was the Riders and not the Stamps. But I will bask in the warm glow of this for several more hours.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Ok, time to eat some :crow:

I gave Arceneaux a pretty hard time a couple of weeks back but I also said I would give him credit when it was due and IMO it was due tonight. He has played pretty decently in the last couple of games and his 82 yard TD was pretty darn nice especially with the YAC yards. So here is to you MA. You had a very good game tonight and you deserve the credit.
I concur. Arceneaux has played well last two games since he stopped tweeting. He's now allowing his play to speak for him.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jon Jennings ...

OK, Yeah, I am a little bit excited. Nah, not that much. Just another day at the office. OK, we got some good yards. And I caught a TD pass. Threw for 4 TDs. OK, not bad. I might not look it, but I am a little bit excited.

Very, very Cool Cat.

Ballistic Bob
Legend

What is wrong with Leone. Two missed converts a blocked punt and an easy missed field goal.BB
Wear orange or wear nothing