QB Development Timeline

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

There has been lots of discussion on how the lions have handled the QBs this year, and specifically on whether or not Jennings should have been starting games sooner than he did.

Out of interest, I looked up the starting QBs in the last 20 grey cup finals, and looked at how they developed. The data is below:

Player/# of times in final/Year named starter
Allen 4 Yr 5
Dunigan 6 Yr 2
Austin 2 Yr 4
McManus 5 yr 6
Ham 3 Yr 2
Flutie 4 *Yr 1
Slack 1 Yr 5
Garcia 1 Yr 3
Dickenson 3 Yr 3
Calvillo 7 *Yr 1
Crandell 1 Yr 4
Jones 1 Yr 4
Ray 4 *Yr 1
Pierce 2 Yr 4
Joseph 1 Yr 1
Glenn 2 Yr 4
Burris 2 Yr 4
Durant 3 Yr 4
Lulay 1 Yr 3
Mitchell 1 Yr 3
Collaros 1 Yr 3
Omit Garza, Dinwoodie

Of the 21 QBs included, only 4 were named starters in their first year: Flutie, Calvillo, Ray, and Joseph. Flutie started as backup to Paopao, eventually winning the #1 job. Calvillo, after being #1 in yr 1, went back to being a back up for 6 seasons before earning a #1 spot again. Ray won the #1 job after Maas got injured partway through his rookie year. Joseph is the only QB in recent history who was named #1 straight out of his first training camp and had continued success as a #1.

Typically, successful QBs will serve as backups/3rd stringers for a couple of years before earning a chance at the #1 spot.

What does this say about Buono/Tedford/Cortez' decision to be patient with Jennings in his development? In my opinion, it suggests that they have a lot of experience and knowledge in developing QBs and are bringing this to bear for the Lions this year. It makes sense to bring QBs in slowly if you want them to go on to have successful careers.
JohnHenry
Champion

Interesting stats, maxlion. The Lions brought along Lulay fairly quickly, in about 2 1/2 years, becoming the full-time starter. Of course Travis had NFL (signed by Seahawks 3 times and N.O.) and NFLE experience. Flutie was a 6-yr pro when he came to the CFL (and threw 73 Int's his first 3 reg. seasons). I wonder if injuries to the starter was a major factor in the ascension of some rookie QB's? I'd venture there were many more failures than successes with rookie starters. Just look at the amazing list of failed Bomber QB's over the past 15 years or so.

I was one poster who suggested before the start of the season they should stick with Jennings. He was regarded as the best QB through training camp and preseason. That should count for something, keeping the momentum rolling. Lulay and Beck were also not 100% healthy to start the season. But I'm sure Tedford, Cortez (who was the Bills QB coach when the Ticats hired him as HC) and Buono know much more about developing QB's than us peanut gallery pundits. :wink:
maxlion
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Interesting stats, maxlion. The Lions brought along Lulay fairly quickly, in about 2 1/2 years, becoming the full-time starter. Of course Travis had NFL (signed by Seahawks 3 times and N.O.) and NFLE experience. Flutie was a 6-yr pro when he came to the CFL (and threw 73 Int's his first 3 reg. seasons). I wonder if injuries to the starter was a major factor in the ascension of some rookie QB's? I'd venture there were many more failures than successes with rookie starters. Just look at the amazing list of failed Bomber QB's over the past 15 years or so.

I was one poster who suggested before the start of the season they should stick with Jennings. He was regarded as the best QB through training camp and preseason. That should count for something, keeping the momentum rolling. Lulay and Beck were also not 100% healthy to start the season. But I'm sure Tedford, Cortez (who was the Bills QB coach when the Ticats hired him as HC) and Buono know much more about developing QB's than us peanut gallery pundits. :wink:
Thanks for the comments. Most of these successful qbs were brought along slowly because they were behind a strong starter. As the numbers show, there are very few successful qbs who did not follow this path. I think that the Lions are trying to follow this path with Jennings, but I'm not sure it works the same way if your starters are weak. Bringing up the Bombers is a a good point. They are stuck in a cycle of never being able to develop a starting qb because they can't find a competent starter to get started with. We're trying to avoid that by starting veterans, but I don't really know it that is the answer here.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Quarterback is a pivotal position (no pun intended). There are very few quarterbacks that comes out of college and start in the pros and have an immediate impact without a couple of season learning and understanding the game. To rush the quarterback into the lineup is often a recipe for disaster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great stats. I think it normally takes a young QB longer to develop in the CFL than the NFL because they have t get used to the rules, including the extra man, extra motion, size of the field field and having one less down to work with.

Having said that, I'd like to see Jennings as the starter for the remainder of this year. Lulay can mentor him from the sidelines and step in if he falters. Jennings gives the team the best chance to win.