Lions @ Stampeders -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Just wondering who was responsible for Becks protection on that hit he took to end his game/ Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
peeby
Starter

Really enjoyed the game regardless of the loss. Pretty good effort against a good football team. I guess you wouldn't accept good effort if they lost too many times, but at least there were a number of positives. You couldn't say that a while ago.

Chris Rainey was terrific again. Great pick-up. Jennings looks like he should continue playing, interceptions or no interceptions. Cody Husband took Dean Valli's spot and got a similar number of penalties. I prefer Hawkins and Burnham over Courtenay Taylor.

Manny seems to be one of the guys that gets the most love and most hate on the forum. He is fast and if he gets in the clear, he can be dangerous. However, there was one long bomb where he was covered all the way. When the play happened, you just saw the QB go back, the line block, then the ball in the air, and of course, the play being broken up by the Stampeder DB. The replay was instructive to me. They had a camera on Manny right from scrimmage. He made no head fake, no body fake, no speed shifts. He just ran up the field. To me, the chances of his getting clear on long plays is more dependent on a DB losing focus than it is on anything Manny does other than run fast. Just think the Lions could do better.

The new DT, McFarland, looked like he knew what he was doing. Pretty sure this puts Chris Roh on the practice list once Brooks returns.

Didn't think they missed Elimimian until last night. Wasn't enamoured of the linebacking.

Deluded as I may be, I can see the possibility of a win over Edmonton. Jennings will be better. There won't be that fumble between him and Hariis, for instance. If there was a sack or two on Reilly, who knows what could happen?

Sack? Now that is delusional.
dupsdell1
Champion

Belize City Lion wrote:I think what we saw last night was proof that Tedford had lost the locker room. On the pre game show the guys were talking about how difficult it is for players to play well when they don't believe the coaches have prepared a game plan that can be successful. For weeks we have been questioning the schemes and personnel decisions of the Lions coaching staff. You don't think the players have not been doing the same? There have been enough "unsubstantiated rumours" of dissent to convince me there has been a very real problem behind closed doors. In Belize we say "if dat not so, dat nearly so". Or where there's smoke there's fire.

When Jennings entered the game there was an instant improvement in effort, enthusiasm and hustle. I don't think this was just a case of teammates rallying around the rookie, but rather a statement from the players of "OK, this is what we have been waiting for. Time for us to step up and show the coaches we were right and they were wrong".

Beck getting hurt might have saved Teddy's job. If Jennings had subbed in for a healthy Beck and the results had been the same I have no doubt that stubborn Teddy would be going back to Beck against Edmonton. But that does not look like Teddy will have that option. So the players will get what they want. Now they have the opportunity to show up their coach by putting together a few wins behind Jennings. If they can do that Teddy's hands will be tied. If not it will be "Beck to the future" as Teddy rides out his remaining few games as HC of the BC Lions.

I agree if Jennings turns this team around and we start winning what does that say about the organization I bet you wally comes out and admits we should have gone with Jennings in the Ottawa games were Beck was not performing hopefully this wakes them up.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Just wondering who was responsible for Becks protection on that hit he took to end his game/ Thnx BB
Not sure who will take the blame but there was miscommunicaton between Olafioye and Harris. Calgary showed six-man pressure so Olafioye blocked down, perhaps expecting Harris to pick up the DE. Harris probably read the middle linebacker. When he didnt come, Harris released out of the backfield. In the end, neither Olafioye nor Harris blocked anyone.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It was a treat watching Jennings.

And Rainey is at the Banks/Williams level as a game breaking kick returner. Obviously very talented.

Was it brilliant management or coaching that brought these guys to the fore? Can't really say that. Jennings was riding the pine behind a career backup, John Beck, who had shown no signs of being able to lead a team. And Rainey was picked up as an unemployed free agent.

But they have given our team a spark.

I really like what I see with Jennings. He is a gunslinger. Unafraid. Mobile. Strong arm. Can see the field. The Ints do not bother me at this point. He loosened up the D. He "attacked" all over the field. He transformed our moribund offence. He gave a spark to Andrew Harris and our O Line. He gave a spark to Arceneaux.

But we see the difference between a top level organization and one that is floundering.

We floundered around with Craig Roh playing inside. We floundered around with Jabar Westerman playing outside. We floundered around with John Beck as our #2 quarterback. We floundered around for years failing to develop National O Line talent. We have floundered around with the draft. At times our organization has seemed rudderless. But Wally hangs in there, and eventually we have tended to get the right pieces in the right spots. Crazy notions get set aside, eventually. It is a long list of crazy notions.

Excitement is back, with Jennings and Rainey. At least for the time being. Solidity of the franchise? No. Not yet. We have to embrace multidimensional football. The modern age. Both on offence and defence. Detailed, variable planning against each opponent. And we must attack, on both offence and defence.

The reality ... We are 4 and 7, at risk of missing the playoffs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dupsdell1
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:It was a treat watching Jennings.

And Rainey is at the Banks/Williams level as a game breaking kick returner. Obviously very talented.

Was it brilliant management or coaching that brought these guys to the fore? Can't really say that. Jennings was riding the pine behind a career backup, John Beck, who had shown no signs of being able to lead a team. And Rainey was picked up as an unemployed free agent.

But they have given our team a spark.

I really like what I see with Jennings. He is a gunslinger. Unafraid. Mobile. Strong arm. Can see the field. The Ints do not bother me at this point. He loosened up the D. He "attacked" all over the field. He transformed our moribund offence. He gave a spark to Andrew Harris and our O Line. He gave a spark to Arceneaux.

But we see the difference between a top level organization and one that is floundering.

We floundered around with Craig Roh playing inside. We floundered around with Jabar Westerman playing outside. We floundered around with John Beck as our #2 quarterback. We floundered around for years failing to develop National O Line talent. We have floundered around with the draft. At times our organization has seemed rudderless. But Wally hangs in there, and eventually we have tended to get the right pieces in the right spots. Crazy notions get set aside, eventually. It is a long list of crazy notions.

Excitement is back, with Jennings and Rainey. At least for the time being. Solidity of the franchise? No. Not yet. We have to embrace multidimensional football. The modern age. Both on offence and defence. Detailed, variable planning against each opponent. And we must attack, on both offence and defence.

The reality ... We are 4 and 7, at risk of missing the playoffs.

Yes but if we can Beat Edmonton come back and beat Saskatchewan and Winnipeg ( back to back sat night games at home ) we are right back in it. But if we lose to Edmonton , I think that is it write the season off and develop for next year.

I know I am throwing this out there and getting ahead of myself but if Jennings turns this team around gets us into the playoffs , gets us at least to the western or eastern final with the cross over here is our next franchise QB release Lulay or give him a back up position and cut Beck for next year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have to say it, I am glad Beck got hurt, not because of anything against him as a person but because I do not think that Tedford would have inserted Jennings without the injury to Beck. Tedford seems as slow or slower than Wally when he was a HC in making changes.

The Lions need to 6 game Beck, who AFAIK as a second year player does not have a guaranteed contract, and then work out an injury settlement and cut him. It will create some cap room. With Jennings getting playing time now and by next season Jennings and McGhee will be entering their second training camp, and with the new QB, Archer (former Seahawk?) now a practice player, there is no chance Beck is a Lion next year. Actually the way this coaching staff makes puzzling player personnel decisions I guess there is a chance that Beck returns. :dizzy:

I also want to see Lokombo ahead of Hoffman-Ellis on the depth chart and playing time as I think he is a better LB regardless of nationality.

One other strange thing from the strange Lions coaching staff is that when Jennings got into the game we saw an improvement in play calling. Harris got the ball more, Jennings was partially rolled out and did it effectively on his own when the pocket broke down. We also saw an effective mis-direction shovel pass. What a rare thing for the B.C. Lions to do.
dat
Rookie

My thoughts on the game against the Stamps. You won't win many games when you don't score an offensive touchdown. Having said that there were a lot of positives. It appeared Olafioye made a gaffe when the defensive end ran in untouched and smoked Beck. As the outside guy you have to use your peripheral vision and check both sides of you. He didn't get a block on anyone on that play. I think Husband or whoever else is better than Valli and for the most part the O-Line looked OK. If Jennings had some of those interceptions back it would have been a much closer game. I was impressed with his athletic ability and how he was able to scramble and extend plays. Unlike one poster I thought Lavelle Hawkins played very well. He made some good catches and got open twice on deep patterns but was overthrown by Jennings. The offence at least generated some first downs and wasn't afraid to throw deep. For a guy playing his first game I think Jennings did pretty well. Defence played fairly well but a bit of poor tackling by the DB's seems to have come back. Maybe except for Fraser who made a nice tackle on Cornish. What can you say about Chris Rainey, he looked great with his two TD returns. Good effort by the ST's tonight. Hopefully a week of practice will help Jennings and the offence next week.

dat
David
Team Captain

The Positives from last night:
* In the 90's we had Cory "Quick Six" Philpot at running back. We now have Chris "Quick Twitch" Rainey returning kicks.

* Jennings, mistakes and all, gave the club life and the fan base hope. He'll have an entire week of first-team reps. Mind you, Chris Jones will have an entire week to study him. Don't let old-schooler Cortez and NFL-er Tedford get to you, kid. It's okay to use your legs once in a while after going through your progressions. Leave the pocket. Run with it. Better than throwing into double coverage.

* Thought the receivers, to a man, seemed to fight much harder. Mind you, almost any kind of response was an improvement over last week. Most of the team seemed to just go through the motions at home against Ottawa.

* Minter and McFarland were stout in the middle. Kind of what we've been screaming for all season. Size. Girth. Cornish was mostly a non-factor.

* Holding penalties aside (including a brutal one on Husband that extended a Calgary drive which led to a TD), I thought the O-line played quite well. At least I didn't see constant pressure in the face of Beck/Jennings, and Harris had some holes to run through.

* Eric Fraser is quickly becoming one of my favourite Lions.

The Negatives from last night:
* Still no pass rush. Too slow. Like a car going through a car wash slow. As mentioned, we got very good results from the 3 and 1 tech (at least against the run), but still need an outside pass rusher. Like we've been saying for weeks now, move Craig Roh to DE. He played that position at a small school you may have heard of? University Of Michigan?? He also led the team with 4 sacks despite playing out of position! Khreem Smith, God Bless him, has reached his best before date. There just aren't many 36-year old pass rushers in football anymore.

* Do I take the one misdirection play (fake jet sweep shovel pass) as a positive? Playbook seemed to open up for Jennings (and I LOVED his pump fake), but we can still be a hell of lot more creative.

* I'd like to see a little more size in the defensive backfield. We just seem really small and not overly aggressive when it comes to tackling (Eric Fraser's play notwithstanding), and slightly over-matched against 6'3" / 6'4" receivers, which CFL teams seem to be moving towards.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
zeppo
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote: Neither of the big guys was able to collapse the pocket but that was not their role. Minter had one good bullrush that may have hurried a throw.
I disagree. Their role last night was to stop the run, and provide a push up the middle when rushing the passer. Minter and McFarland were
better at the first job than the second.
zeppo
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote: Not sure who will take the blame but there was miscommunicaton between Olafioye and Harris. Calgary showed six-man pressure so Olafioye blocked down, perhaps expecting Harris to pick up the DE. Harris probably read the middle linebacker. When he didnt come, Harris released out of the backfield. In the end, neither Olafioye nor Harris blocked anyone.

Good analysis of the play. A couple of other observations:
- Beck surely must have seen the Stampeder coming, and should have stepped up in the pocket or bailed out. Instead, he
just stood there in passing position. Brave for sure, but not too smart.
-The Stampeder lead with his helmet and should have been penalized.
zeppo
Starter

dat wrote: Unlike one poster I thought Lavelle Hawkins played very well. He made some good catches and got open twice on deep patterns but was overthrown by Jennings.
Hawkins was OK. He was open three times on deep post patterns, and, as you said, Jennings overthrew him twice. The third pass was flat out dropped.
On his long completion down the sideline, I was surprised that a Stampeder caught him from behind, as I thought he was faster than he actually is. But,
to his credit, he appears to be a good route runner.
dupsdell1
Champion

zeppo wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: Not sure who will take the blame but there was miscommunicaton between Olafioye and Harris. Calgary showed six-man pressure so Olafioye blocked down, perhaps expecting Harris to pick up the DE. Harris probably read the middle linebacker. When he didnt come, Harris released out of the backfield. In the end, neither Olafioye nor Harris blocked anyone.

Good analysis of the play. A couple of other observations:
- Beck surely must have seen the Stampeder coming, and should have stepped up in the pocket or bailed out. Instead, he
just stood there in passing position. Brave for sure, but not too smart.
-The Stampeder lead with his helmet and should have been penalized.

It is shameful that it had to come to a injury to put our new Franchise QB in , Could imagine what this teams future this
zeppo
Starter

David wrote:The Positives from last night:

* Don't let old-schooler Cortez and NFL-er Tedford get to you, kid. It's okay to use your legs once in a while after going through your progressions. Leave the pocket. Run with it. Better than throwing into double coverage.
Well said. Running with the ball once in a while will open up even bigger holes for the B.C. receivers to run into.
David wrote: Size. Girth.
Yeah, gotta love that good girth. :wink:
chewiesrevenge
Rookie

I don't think Jennings overthrew Hawkins. He is a big guy and isn't that speedy. Thought he was brought in for speed. Or was it for the Tedford Tightend experiement? Either way, I'm more a fan of Nik Lewis' style. Even as a stocky (slightly chubby) receiver, he gets open, has great hands, and is a mule to take down in the open field. The Cal defender caught up to Hawkins and almost supassed him. If he had kept running at full speed he would have got there. And when he DID get to the pass on the other throw, it was dropped. Which happens. But still.

Great point about Manny not head faking or juking on his routes. Definitely a satisfactory receiver for CFL, but he doesn't play consistent. And is a distraction. Overrated in my eyes. But for some reason treated like the Club's #1 receiver. (Although it might unfortunately be true). And poor Gore. It always looks like he is trying so hard to run but his wheels are spinning in mud. Lol. He's kinda the forgotten guy. Speaking of which... it was nice to see Ianuzzi get some time too.

And nice to see E Jackson and N Moore find success on their respective teams. Hopefully Burnham will pay dividends in the future.