Lions @ Stampeders -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:The great news for STs - is no penalties on the returns for TDs. They just let the guy make the play. All teams should do the same as penalties aren't worth the risk. Ask Hamilton's returner.
I ws surprised that Westerman did not get a flag on Rainey's kick-off return for pushing the Calgary player to the ground from behind. That would have been crushing...
Bosco
Team Captain

B.C. Lions fans...welcome to the Johnathon Jennings era! :good:

For the first time in a long time, we saw a QB who was no doubt, a bit of a gunslinger - but was able to throw the ball down the field and actually provide some exciting moments. The Lions offense throughout the season has been unwatchable, but Jennings showed glimpses of what the offense "could" be.

This team was going nowhere with Lulay and Beck. With Jennings, at least there's hope for the future.
dupsdell1
Champion

Bosco wrote:B.C. Lions fans...welcome to the Johnathon Jennings era! :good:

For the first time in a long time, we saw a QB who was no doubt, a bit of a gunslinger - but was able to throw the ball down the field and actually provide some exciting moments. The Lions offense throughout the season has been unwatchable, but Jennings showed glimpses of what the offense "could" be.

This team was going nowhere with Lulay and Beck. With Jennings, at least there's hope for the future.

Well said and if beck and Lulay get Healthy and Jennings is wining games They better not put those guys inn and Jennings becoming our starter for the rest of the year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:The great news for STs - is no penalties on the returns for TDs. They just let the guy make the play. All teams should do the same as penalties aren't worth the risk. Ask Hamilton's returner.
I ws surprised that Westerman did not get a flag on Rainey's kick-off return for pushing the Calgary player to the ground from behind. That would have been crushing...
I thought the same thing, but initial contact may have come at the shoulder from the side and then the Stamps player sort of twisted and fell down...or the officials could have just missed it.
CardiacKid
Legend

I haven't seen the game yet (it is on the PVR) but I am really curious as to what the consensus is regarding McFarland's play?
chewiesrevenge
Rookie

Defense is playing marginally better...

Except for Phillips. The dude is softer than a pillow and has lost a step. Afraid to tackle. He may be sound positionally, but time to get a younger, tougher player. He's become a noticible liability on many plays.

Seeing Jennings play decently with good football instincts and a sharp throw make you wonder why the Lions kept going with Beck. :/ Sucks that he never won a game he started professionally... but Jennings is clearly the better athlete and player. Why were they holding him back in favour of a 34 year old who just seemed average?

Hawkins... not sold on him. Big, yes. But slow. And doesnt seem to have any moves in the open field. Guy is built like a linebacker. A few 'over' throws I thought were 'under' ran routes. And he should have had that drop.

Same with Manny. He runs his mouth and is overrated. Clearly quit on a play too this year. As a pro. He doesnt come back to the ball soon enough when tracking it like a premier receiver would - like say Tasker or Dressler. I'd argue that every team has at least one receiver better than he is at his position. Drop the salary too.

Burnham. Impressed. Guy plays hard. Gotta give him credit. Forming into a dependable asset.

Nice to see Harris involved in the play more. Actually like most of the play calling and return of some run game.

Would like to see C Taylor back too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I thought he played well. The defence held Jon Cornish to only 37 yards.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

chewiesrevenge wrote: Seeing Jennings play decently with good football instincts and a sharp throw make you wonder why the Lions kept going with Beck. :/ Sucks that he never won a game he started professionally... but Jennings is clearly the better athlete and player. Why were they holding him back in favour of a 34 year old who just seemed average?
Someone liked him at tryout camp last year.

Someone still liked him this year.

Judgment error in my opinion.

Beck is a very nice man. Good arm mechanically.

Playing instincts. Low. Low. Low. Play it safe mentality. Even his long throws are just that --> throws. Slim chance to be caught. Slim chance to be intercepted.

Mobility. Low. Low. Low.

Leadership. Low. Rally the troops? No.

Scare the defence? No.

Make the players around him better? No.

But somebody liked him. Probably somebody with influence. LOL Who? I dunno ... Actually it might have been Benny. And Wally. Play it safe types. Bring in the guy with years of experience, and good mechanics, but sadly missing in gamer qualities.

Jennings has gamer qualities. All over the place.

Maybe McGhee does too.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Some good news on the post game. Lions are thinking of moving Craig Roh to his natural position defensive end in place of Khreem Smith. First he has to lose some weight.
I hope this potential move towards playing guys in their natural positions continues. And maybe we can see Maxx Forde play for Westermann at end? I have been rooting for Minter to get some time, then McFarland gets some as well...only guy left on my wish list is Forde. Let's see what he can do....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:The patient is not dead yet.

We showed many signs of life tonight.

John Jennings.

Chris Rainey.

Running lanes for Andrew Harris.

Some spirit from Manny Arceneaux.

Is Jeff Tedford, after a hands off, laid back start to the year, beginning to exert his control and influence?

Nice effort from the defence.

I love this Jennings. He has sparked the team. Along with Rainey of course.

Credit to Tedford. No panic. Making do with what he has.
One game with a change up at QB is hardly enough to think anything about Tedford's control and influence. What we saw tonight was some young guys bringing some enthusiasm to the team. That can be infectious but I need to see more than part of one game before I begin to think that we have maybe turned a corner.

Jenkins seems to throw a nice ball, seems to have some legs (I wish he had used them instead of passing a couple of times) but he does seem to have some tools.

The D has again played marginally better. Like other's in this thread was not especially impressed with Phillips tonight. For being the experienced guy on that level, he sure looked like a rookie on that pass out. Couldn't close to the receiver, overran the play and so on.

Bad mistakes and some bad luck too. It seemed as though bounces were definitely going the Stamps way on the fumble by Jenkins. Was only one Stamp player who could possibly have recovered that one and the ball drops right in front of him. All he had to do was fall on it. We missed a couple of chances for turnovers as well. I believe Biggie missed a fumble and the Yell missed a shot at a pick as well.

A story of mistakes and missed opportunities. By contrast, after the Lions tie the game, Calgary starts with a great ko return and then promptly marches a short field to the end zone.
Next Lions drive, we fumble and a couple of plays later, the Stamps are 2 TD's ahead. The difference between a good team and us.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

chewiesrevenge wrote:Defense is playing marginally better...

Except for Phillips. The dude is softer than a pillow and has lost a step. Afraid to tackle. He may be sound positionally, but time to get a younger, tougher player. He's become a noticible liability on many plays.

Seeing Jennings play decently with good football instincts and a sharp throw make you wonder why the Lions kept going with Beck. :/ Sucks that he never won a game he started professionally... but Jennings is clearly the better athlete and player. Why were they holding him back in favour of a 34 year old who just seemed average?

Hawkins... not sold on him. Big, yes. But slow. And doesnt seem to have any moves in the open field. Guy is built like a linebacker. A few 'over' throws I thought were 'under' ran routes. And he should have had that drop.

Same with Manny. He runs his mouth and is overrated. Clearly quit on a play too this year. As a pro. He doesnt come back to the ball soon enough when tracking it like a premier receiver would - like say Tasker or Dressler. I'd argue that every team has at least one receiver better than he is at his position. Drop the salary too.

Burnham. Impressed. Guy plays hard. Gotta give him credit. Forming into a dependable asset.

Nice to see Harris involved in the play more. Actually like most of the play calling and return of some run game.

Would like to see C Taylor back too.
Great post chewiesrevenge!

Don't want to keep harping on negatives when they played hard last night but it shows how dysfunctional this organization has become when an athletic 24-year-old with a live arm who is willing to throw the ball downfield was somehow behind a pedestrian like 34-year-old who has done nothing in this league and never will. Absolutely ridiculous it took an injury to Beck to finally get Jennings on the field. I'm with BC FAN and others, give him the keys to this offensive ahead of Beck AND Lulay and let him drive.
I can live with the interceptions and the growing pains as long as I know there is tremendous upside which simply isn't the case with other two.

Lokombo should be a full-time starter ahead of Hoffman-Ellis. Is our best young national with lots of upside. Keep him on the field and think long and hard on the off season who it would work with Team #100 or trade one of those two for help elsewhere.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:I haven't seen the game yet (it is on the PVR) but I am really curious as to what the consensus is regarding McFarland's play?
I mentioned earlier that McFarland and Minter plugged their gaps and gave Cornish no running room between the tackles. That's a successful debut, especially with Cornish held to less than 3.5 yards a carry. McFarland had two tackles, on gains of 2 and 3 yards by Cornish, and also had a pass knockdown at the line. Neither of the big guys was able to collapse the pocket but that was not their role. Minter had one good bullrush that may have hurried a throw.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think what we saw last night was proof that Tedford had lost the locker room. On the pre game show the guys were talking about how difficult it is for players to play well when they don't believe the coaches have prepared a game plan that can be successful. For weeks we have been questioning the schemes and personnel decisions of the Lions coaching staff. You don't think the players have not been doing the same? There have been enough "unsubstantiated rumours" of dissent to convince me there has been a very real problem behind closed doors. In Belize we say "if dat not so, dat nearly so". Or where there's smoke there's fire.

When Jennings entered the game there was an instant improvement in effort, enthusiasm and hustle. I don't think this was just a case of teammates rallying around the rookie, but rather a statement from the players of "OK, this is what we have been waiting for. Time for us to step up and show the coaches we were right and they were wrong".

Beck getting hurt might have saved Teddy's job. If Jennings had subbed in for a healthy Beck and the results had been the same I have no doubt that stubborn Teddy would be going back to Beck against Edmonton. But that does not look like Teddy will have that option. So the players will get what they want. Now they have the opportunity to show up their coach by putting together a few wins behind Jennings. If they can do that Teddy's hands will be tied. If not it will be "Beck to the future" as Teddy rides out his remaining few games as HC of the BC Lions.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Apparently Beck has a right pectoral muscle injury, but having dislocated my shoulder a couple of times , his posture and body language sure looked like that. I'd be surprised to see him back throwing this season.
CardiacKid
Legend

Was Tedford coaching the special teams again this week?