Lions Are a Team in Peril As We Face Calgary and Edmonton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our B.C. Lions had 5 (count 'em) 5 first downs in the first 50 minutes against Ottawa. As our Leos face Calgary and the return of Jon Cornish (talk about great timing) Ed Willes says our Leos are a team in peril.

We are going to need to play well in these next two games. Hopefully the spotlight on George Cortez has done something to get him out of his black and white rigid thinking. Hopefully Tedford worked with the offence this week, after working successfully with special teams last week. Hopefully Mark Washington will come up with some defensive strategies that work, rather than just character clichés. Hopefully, going with four International lineman, including the return of Draheim, will benefit our offence.

Hopefully Brooks and Minter can continue to shore up the inside. Perhaps our Leos will consider putting our defensive sack leader on the field, Roh, at defensive end, instead of the aging Smith and the undersized Bazzie but don't hold your breath at this common sense idea.

An upset win, on the road, against the reigning Grey Cup champs would be huge for this Leos team. But its going to take more than character to make that happen. Its also going to require great game planning and play calling on both sides of the football, as well as very inspired play. It hasn't happened so far this season. If there is a time for it to happen, its now.
Willes: Beleaguered Lions have to turn this around

Negatives far outnumber positives as club faces crucial matchups in Calgary and Edmonton

By Ed Willes, The Province September 16, 2015

Willes: Beleaguered Lions have to turn this around

Lions head coach Jeff Tedford says the locker room is edgy, but ‘dissension is a whole different thing, and that’s not what it is.’ — The Canadian Press

Here’s a list of the positive stories around the B.C. Lions these days.

— Their rookie kicker, Richie Leone, is having a helluva year.

— Chris Rainey, who’s now played two games, has been dangerous as a kick returner.

Now here’s a list of the not-so positive stories around the Lions.

— On Sunday, they dropped a 31-18 decision to the Ottawa Redblacks in a game in which they ran for 11 yards and produced minus-one yard of net offence in the first quarter. In three of their last four home games they’ve lost to Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.

— Not co-incidentally, attendance is at its lowest point since 2002.

— On Tuesday, Sportsnet’s Arash Madani posted a tweet that reported the Lions’ veteran leaders have talked to head coach Jeff Tedford about discontent in the locker room. “Real tension there,” according to Madani.

— That same day star running back Andrew Harris talked publicly about his frustration over his limited role in the Lions’ offence over the last four weeks.

— The Lions are currently 4-6 and in the midst of a dogfight for a CFL playoff spot. Their next two games are on the road in Calgary and Edmonton. Two straight losses and suddenly the Lions will be 4-8. It isn’t a stretch to say their season is riding on those two games.

Sorry. Leone is having a great year. But it isn’t enough to push those other stories out of the papers.

With a Friday meeting looming with the Stampeders in Calgary, the Lions are in a dangerous place. They are in a spiral. Virtually every talking point around the team is soaked in angst and negativity. Where are the fans? Where is Tedford? Why is the offence so inept? What’s with Harris?

Individually, those stories can erode a team’s will. Collectively, they become a wave that threatens to overwhelm the entire organization. If you’ve spent any time around professional sports you learn to recognize the warning signs of a team in peril.

Right now, that’s the B.C. Lions.

Winning is one thing. But this team has to offer some hope to their following and to themselves; some sense that they’re not the incompetent bunglers they’ve appeared to be too many times this season.

The defence, for the most part, hasn’t been the problem. But the offence has been a catastrophe. Tedford came to the Lions with a reputation as an offensive mastermind; someone who’d install an exciting, wide-open attack that would thrill the masses.

Instead, the Lions’ offence has been dull, predictable and unproductive, and it’s sucking the life out of the team. On Sunday, the defence played hard for three quarters but eventually folded because they were on the field for three-quarters of the game. Literally.

The Redblacks had the ball for 41 minutes and 45 seconds. The Lions’ time of possession was 18:15. With John Beck making his first start at quarterback, they also produced five first downs over the first three-and-a-half quarters.

Five first downs in 50 minutes of football. How can this be?

Somehow, some way the Lions have to find a spark, and that’s the responsibility of the head coach because, well, that’s the way it works in pro football. Tedford came to town with an impeccable resumé. He also understands the criticism, the frustration and the unease that surround the team; just as he understands the danger they pose.

On Wednesday, he answered all the questions honestly and directly, including the ones about the team’s internal strife. It’s what you’d expect from a professional, a leader.

But will it translate to the field?

“There’s no negativity on this team,” he said. “We can’t put credence into someone’s opinions that are really misinformed. Is the locker room a little edgy? Of course. And that’s the way you want it to be when you don’t win. But dissension is a whole different thing, and that’s not what it is.

“For somebody — and this is the last time I want to talk about this because it’s not really worth talking about — who doesn’t know and there’s no responsibility to put it out there, it’s nonsense to have to deal with.”

It would be brilliant if somehow this turned into a rallying point for the Lions; if they’ve become fed up with all the manure kicked in their faces over the last month and used that as their motivation. True, you would have liked to see evidence they’re capable of turning their season around, but stranger things have happened.

Tedford has had significant success everywhere he’s gone. Beck was a second-round pick in the NFL. Harris, Bighill, Phillips, Olafioye, Gore. You know these guys. You know they can play.

“I can tell you in this locker room the guys are driven,” said Tedford. “Of course they’re edgy because we all want to win. There’s nothing worse than losing.”

And that’s the one point concerning the Lions on which we can all agree.

ewilles@theprovince.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

To make matters even tougher, Michael Brooks, who has played well for us, is out with injury and Jarious McFarland will start in his place.

Valli is injured and right now it looks as if we will start Cody Husband at right guard and not player or an International.

Austin Collie is also injured, which means Iannuzzi will get his first start of the season as the wide side wide out.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Too be honest, I'm not sure an upset win is in our best interests. Maybe short term but long term there are some real rot issues with this team. I am not expecting lightening to strike in the next two games especially with Cornish and Reilly back and playing on their respective turfs. This is likely to be the beginning of the end our our season and any hopes of the post season. We are heading into the toughest part of our schedule and at this juncture, if we win 2 games of those coming up, we will probably be doing well.

We face in the remaining part of the season.
Calgary 2x
Edmonton 2x
Hamilton
Toronto
Winnipeg
Sask.

Out of 8 games we are probably the underdog in 7 of them and who knows with the Riders. I don't think we will go 0-8 but it isn't beyond possible.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dusty
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:Too be honest, I'm not sure an upset win is in our best interests. Maybe short term but long term there are some real rot issues with this team. I am not expecting lightening to strike in the next two games especially with Cornish and Reilly back and playing on their respective turfs. This is likely to be the beginning of the end our our season and any hopes of the post season. We are heading into the toughest part of our schedule and at this juncture, if we win 2 games of those coming up, we will probably be doing well.

Calgary 2x
Edmonton 2x
Hamilton
Toronto
Winnipeg
Sask.

Out of 8 games we are probably the underdog in 7 of them and who knows with the Riders. I don't think we will go 0-8 but it isn't beyond possible.
I think that it is very possible to go 0-8 for the remainder of the season if there are no changes in the schemes, use of players and play-calling. All these teams have good QB's back in operation so barring an injury, these teams should be improving. Over the course of the season, our Leo's have NOT been improving. A losing attitude is very infectous... as it moves along, it picks up speed. The most positive thing I can say is that anything can happen and that's why the games are played....
InUrFace
Rookie

Blitz wrote:To make matters even tougher, Michael Brooks, who has played well for us, is out with injury and Jarious McFarland will start in his place.

Valli is injured and right now it looks as if we will start Cody Husband at right guard and not player or an International.

Austin Collie is also injured, which means Iannuzzi will get his first start of the season as the wide side wide out.
Wow thisis great from Collie to Iannuzzi ..why not use Steve He has bigger body and speed and nice hands. Iannuzzi is garbage.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

— On Tuesday, Sportsnet’s Arash Madani posted a tweet that reported the Lions’ veteran leaders have talked to head coach Jeff Tedford about discontent in the locker room. “Real tension there,” according to Madani.

— That same day star running back Andrew Harris talked publicly about his frustration over his limited role in the Lions’ offence over the last four weeks.

With a Friday meeting looming with the Stampeders in Calgary, the Lions are in a dangerous place. They are in a spiral. Virtually every talking point around the team is soaked in angst and negativity. Where are the fans? Where is Tedford? Why is the offence so inept? What’s with Harris?

Individually, those stories can erode a team’s will. Collectively, they become a wave that threatens to overwhelm the entire organization. If you’ve spent any time around professional sports you learn to recognize the warning signs of a team in peril.

Right now, that’s the B.C. Lions.

Winning is one thing. But this team has to offer some hope to their following and to themselves; some sense that they’re not the incompetent bunglers they’ve appeared to be too many times this season.

Instead, the Lions’ offence has been dull, predictable and unproductive, and it’s sucking the life out of the team. On Sunday, the defence played hard for three quarters but eventually folded because they were on the field for three-quarters of the game. Literally.

The Redblacks had the ball for 41 minutes and 45 seconds. The Lions’ time of possession was 18:15. With John Beck making his first start at quarterback, they also produced five first downs over the first three-and-a-half quarters.

Five first downs in 50 minutes of football. How can this be?

Somehow, some way the Lions have to find a spark, and that’s the responsibility of the head coach because, well, that’s the way it works in pro football. Tedford came to town with an impeccable resumé. He also understands the criticism, the frustration and the unease that surround the team; just as he understands the danger they pose.

On Wednesday, he answered all the questions honestly and directly, including the ones about the team’s internal strife. It’s what you’d expect from a professional, a leader.

“There’s no negativity on this team,” he said. “We can’t put credence into someone’s opinions that are really misinformed. Is the locker room a little edgy? Of course. And that’s the way you want it to be when you don’t win. But dissension is a whole different thing, and that’s not what it is.

“For somebody — and this is the last time I want to talk about this because it’s not really worth talking about — who doesn’t know and there’s no responsibility to put it out there, it’s nonsense to have to deal with.”

Thanks again Blitz...and thanks to Wiles for writing such a direct piece, BUT the answers that Tedford gave him about the internal dissension weren't "honest and direct", it was more of the same rhetoric he has spewed since week one. During TC Tedford was open and direct, since week one he has hidden and LIED. These are simply more lies attempting to downplay the disaster that is hovering above this franchise like a dark cloud. Players are NOT STUPID, most football players that I have played with and encountered are SMART, they understand what is going on with this team. They can see the strengths and they know the team's weaknesses all too well. And they are more than capable of knowing that roster decisions and lineups have hurt this team (like Westerman outside and Roh sitting on the bench), just as the coaches are unimaginative and uninspiring!

I honestly believe that as big as any other problem that this franchise has, the fact that they are a PASSIVE and BORING team is equally disasterous. Players are uninspired from playing tentative football, there is little passion when all you do as a defender is back pedal and then attempt to make a shoe string tackle. Defenders WANT to smash somebody in the mouth, its the nature of the beast. Receivers want to make big catches in seams and then explode downfield. Kick returners want to hit the corner of that picket line fence and then sail to freedom. WE DON'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS! Winning, IMO, is NOT everything. Football is a fun game to play and a fun game to watch, except if you are a player or fan for the BC Lions. How has this franchise gone from Casey Printers running around BC Place in 2004 hitting a wide open Geroy Simon to this crap??? Where are Nick Hebeler and Rick Klassen meeting at the QB, and celebrating over his pummelled body???

This team is B-O-R-I-N-G and predictable, and football should NEVER, ever be these things. Its an aggressive game played by aggressive people who want to succeed. Both our OFF and DEF play like they are graduate students at Eastern Washington working on the theory of shutting down the passing game in the CFL...101.

Mark Washington WASN'T QUALIFIED to possess the job he has...he is replacing the likes of Rich Stubler, Dave Ritchie and Don Matthews...he isn't close to this level of excellence...and whatever George Cortez was, he isn't NOW! And as for Chuck McMann, well, I've said enough...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Too be honest, I'm not sure an upset win is in our best interests. Maybe short term but long term there are some real rot issues with this team. I am not expecting lightening to strike in the next two games especially with Cornish and Reilly back and playing on their respective turfs. This is likely to be the beginning of the end our our season and any hopes of the post season. We are heading into the toughest part of our schedule and at this juncture, if we win 2 games of those coming up, we will probably be doing well.

Calgary 2x
Edmonton 2x
Hamilton
Toronto
Winnipeg
Sask.

Yikes.

6 games against tough opposition. 2 only against "weak" opponents.

I guess we better be ready to "execute." Beat 'em with that old style football. Solid and conservative. Well, conservative anyway.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Best thing for the Lions is two crushing defeats by Calgary and Edmonton. Maybe, just maybe it will jolt Buono into making some changes.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Best thing for the Lions is two crushing defeats by Calgary and Edmonton. Maybe, just maybe it will jolt Buono into making some changes.

For starters the problem is Buono retiring is the change that needs to be made.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Best thing for the Lions is two crushing defeats by Calgary and Edmonton....
Looking at the upcoming schedule has left me feeling the best thing to possibly happen from the rest of the year?....That the guys can acquit themselves in such a way that they can finish with a modicum of pride. I am beyond caring about my attitude towards the team and any hopes I had for the year being a positive experience for fans in general....I just want the players to have some joy in being a member of the BC Lions.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Best thing for the Lions is two crushing defeats by Calgary and Edmonton. Maybe, just maybe it will jolt Buono into making some changes.

I was sort of feeling the same way.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
VictoriaFan
Starter

I bet my wife 2 bucks B.C. would lose to Ottawa....I could come out of this season with some coin in my pockets.
peeby
Starter

As bad as the Lions are, I could see them going 2-2 in the next four games. Even though Wpg beat the Lions last time out (I think), I've watched them since and they are pretty beatable. To me, they look sloppy with or without Nichols at QB. The Lions, Bombers and SK appear to be the worst teams in the league, and as such, there'd be no real reason why the Lions couldn't be the team to win 2 games with these opponents. Especially, when Wally takes over after the 2 Alberta losses!!

If the Lions do go 2 and 2 in the next 4, then they might win a couple more based on confidence and home field. Not sayin' this'll happen, but it's as easy to see as going 0-8.

Still think that a few more wins or 8 straight losses isn't what the rest of the season should be about. They should be playing both Jennings and McGhee to see if they are CFL QB's.
Blitz
Team Captain

Our inability to sign free agents here in B.C. is a real indicator of the 'esteem' Buono is held by CFL players.

We have a beautiful city, a great climate, and an excellent stadium to play in and yet free agents will sign for less money to play in Winterpeg, where the mosquitos are the size of birds and fall weather can dip to well below freezing, the winds are brutal, and the Bombers record over the past number of seasons indicates the chances of a playoff spot and playoff money are slim.

Good free agents have not wanted to sign here in B.C. when Wally was coaching or just GM and when we've been a winning team. While a team needs to build from the draft and recruiting down south, the sprinkling in of a key free agent or two can make a huge difference. Look at Ottawa this season. They changed their entire receiving corps and they are a different team. In the meantime our free agent receivers leave. The previous season we targeted a number of free agents and didn't get one of them. This season we tried to get two different punt returners to sign here as well as Winnipeg's Westerman, who leads the CFL in sacks and we couldn't get him, even with his brother on our team.

There is a notion that we don't get free agents to sign here because Wally is cheap. The reality is that they just don't want to come here, even when we offer more money. Its easy to forget that was not the case when Ackles was here. Dickenson chose to come to B.C. in 2003, as did others.

The 'Wally Way' is not attractive to players who have a choice and its another reason why we are a franchise that is not getting better.
David
Team Captain

A little surprised it's been a month since the "Meltdown In Steeltown," and we've added just 4 players to the PR roster, only 1 of whom has been activated: RB Chris Rainey (an excellent signing!), LB JoJo Dickson, RB LaVance Taylor, and QB R.J. Archer (who could be a good one).

A little surprised a big deep threat receiver hasn't been brought in. I know they're high on Lavelle Hawkins, but we need to get better in this area. (*crickets*)

What about defensive linemen?.....I said "defensive linemen".....d-e-f-e-n-s-i-v-e-l-i-n-e-m-e-n....Bueller??

NFL rosters are set. There must be a vast pool of talent from which to choose. I can't believe every single one of them are either sitting around waiting for that phone call from an NFL GM, don't have a passport, aren't good enough to crack our roster, or whatever other excuses Neil McEvoy chooses to serve up!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar