Lions vs. Redblacks Sept. 13 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are going with the same set of receivers for a second straight game, with John Beck at QB for the injured Travis Lulay and Greg McGhee on the roster as third stringer.

There is only one roster change on defence. Darious Lane, who has been on the practice roster all season, is added as an extra DB. LB Jojo Dickson is moved to the practice roster. That could help defend against Ottawa's passing game. If the Lions can get the same kind of pressure on Henry Burris that they applied to Tanner Marsh last week, they should do well.
David
Team Captain

Also B.C.FAN, it looks (on the depth chart anyway) that Dean Valli has drawn in ahead of T-Dre Player at guard for this one. Maybe he's nicked up, but Player really seems to have fallen out of favour since the Hamilton debacle. Anyone aware of Matt Norman's status? That knee injury is really puzzling.

As predicted, no Tommie Dreheim. The way he was hobbling around on the sidelines in civvies last home game (vs Montreal), I knew he'd be several weeks away (from returning to the line-up).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
peeby
Starter

I notice some changes in the depth chart for the game. I think the depth charts are fairly accurate from what I've seen in the past.

Dean Valli listed ahead of Player at guard. I was hoping Player would be a.. player (sorry), but if he can't beat out Valli, then that kind of explains our continuing OL issues.

Rwabukamba behind Parker who's behind Fraser at safety. Good thing there's only 2 other CDN DB's. Could get downright embarrassing for the guy, otherwise.

Darius Lane coming in as a back-up DB while Cord Parks remains on the 1 game injury list. As wrong as I might be, I think that list is a place to sit guys who could, if needed, suit up. To me, this means Cord Parks is slipping to Rwabukamba levels.

Chris Roh still listed as a back-up DT. Probably won't dress. Personally, I've never seen enough from Alex Bazzie to justify his taking a spot. Not Gary Butler and wouldn't necessarily cut him, but why not Roh in to share DE with Smith? Maybe for at least one game to see if can get any rush from the outside position.
Rodu
Champion

I'd like to see Roh at DE
pennw
Legend

Rodu wrote:I'd like to see Roh at DE
I agree , he has shown some pass rush skills and has good size... for a DE .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions are going with the same set of receivers for a second straight game, with John Beck at QB for the injured Travis Lulay and Greg McGhee on the roster as third stringer.

There is only one roster change on defence. Darious Lane, who has been on the practice roster all season, is added as an extra DB. LB Jojo Dickson is moved to the practice roster. That could help defend against Ottawa's passing game. If the Lions can get the same kind of pressure on Henry Burris that they applied to Tanner Marsh last week, they should do well.
I suspect too that the MW defence will want to elevate their game to their last effort. I liked how they worked and it seemed everyone was there to make plays versus what we'd seen before - just do their job and not make an error.

OTT's Jason Maas no doubt will have some ideas for Burris though and who knows which Henry will show up this week or how effective Redblacks will be on the long trip to BC. It is a weird game time for BC though but the home crowd might help them. I sure can't see much leadership in this team from the HC on down.

On the offensive side of the ball, who know what personality the team will come with and maybe you could describe their entire OFF as enigmatic and inscrutable - words from Mike Beamish's column re their rec. Lulay is the captain of this ship but this season there's not been as much to cheer about and he's gone. Will their receivers step up their games for Beck? I'd like to say yes, but I'd not bet on it. Beck clearly is a better choice as a pocket passer but a 34 year back up with a body of work less than Rakeem Cato or Brett Smith - hardly impresses the media even let alone us fickle fans - of which I've become one with this version of the lions - a first where I no longer care how they do - other than be healthy at the gate as I don't want the CFL to fail anywhere.

And I don't blame Wally for all things evil on this team. Wally would get way more out of this lot as he is play or be gone. JT seems to run a country club with little accountability in his coaches or players. I'm very down on the lack of leadership from the HC but firing him is not what I want either. Just lead and do your job with the fans too - even this part sucks.

Great story by Steve Ewen of The Province on Beck's coaching the now injured QB at his old univ and expectations of a QB.

Beck says he learned a lot teaching and coaching and for a QB that is likely very true. He sure hasn't had a chance to learn as a player starting every game. His character as a team leader shows in how others speak of him in this story and also how he speaks!

Copyright laws suggest you go to the link for the full story.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
“As a quarterback, you have to handle those things. You have keep the right perspective. Team situations change. You can be on a team where things are working. You can also be on a team where it’s hard. You can be the same player, but it’s more difficult to have the outcome you want in the harder situation. How do you deal with that? Can you motivate your players the right way? Can you put too much expectation on a situation and make it nearly impossible to achieve? All those things play into it, and the fact that I’m able to talk to and be around the best at what they do, I see how they handle it and how they approach it.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers are now tied with the Lions with 8 points following their win over Saskatchewan tonight. Must game for the Lions
Alputt
Champion

I was critical of Manny last game but really he wasn't utilized... Sunday much more so let's see the show!
CardiacKid
Legend

Just on the ferry heading over and there are a LOT of Lions' fans on board. Just might make up for those wussy Lower Mainland fans who don't like Sunday afternoon games. :tease: :tease: :tease:

It will be interesting to see what the final attendance will be in comparison to the Western Division tilts. I can't believe Ottawa is a big draw, maybe on a par with Toronto? But it looks promising at least for the Island representing...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

What is the kick off time? I need to wake up very early for this one.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:What is the kick off time? I need to wake up very early for this one.
Schedule says 1pmPT.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:What is the kick off time? I need to wake up very early for this one.
Schedule says 1pmPT.
Yes. Thanks. I never know if that is Pre-game show or what..
I can use the extra sleep haha.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Schedule says 1pmPT.
Yes. Thanks. I never know if that is Pre-game show or what..
I can use the extra sleep haha.
Go back to bed Greg...you have time
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1:00 kickoff. Pregame meal or post game victory dinner ???
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:1:00 kickoff. Pregame meal or post game victory dinner ???
The RedBacks record is better by one TLK....

They have a lot of pride, and momentum on their side, they will not be easily beat today...bear this in mind as we approach post game.

This should be like a playoff game for us, because as it stands now, how they fair will affect our chances at a cross over, unless we can unleash the the true Lion in us, and rise and peak at this pivotal point in our season. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis