Anyone else enjoy Mike Bemevides on the TSN Panel?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought MB did a great job on the TSN Panel. He is fast talking, high energy and is a good fit imo.

The one segment where MB shows up at the "Coach's Corner" and then LaPolice comes on and says something like "Don't try and take my gig", and then MB waves his arms and walks away, made me lol.

I also liked the 3 Downs, 3 Questions segment where MB came up with an audible for Andrew Harris for half season MOP. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Still waiting for him to do chest bumps..........
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

not so much.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I thought MB did a great job on the TSN Panel. He is fast talking, high energy and is a good fit imo.

The one segment where MB shows up at the "Coach's Corner" and then LaPolice comes on and says something like "Don't try and take my gig", and then MB waves his arms and walks away, made me lol.

I also liked the 3 Downs, 3 Questions segment where MB came up with an audible for Andrew Harris for half season MOP. :thup:
I thought he was good as well and these guys usually only get better as they get more used to the timing, structure and feeding off each other. These panels are timed to fit certain slots and I'm sure that it takes getting used to be able to get your key thoughts in quickly.

I don't want them to focus him too much into just defensive comments as I like the panel looking at all aspects of the game and let Lapo get into the plays.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I don't mean to read too much into it but the question in the thread title sounds a bit loaded, lol. As in, being on the panel means he's no longer on the sidelines.

Not trying to insinuate anything negative on your part, Dano, but that interpretation just kind of came out at me in a read-between-the-lines kind of way, even if this wasn't the intent.

I heard Angus Reid on 1040 last week kicking around with his co-host (name forgotten) the possibility of, "Would he be interested in such a gig?" He didn't rule it out by any means but at the same time he conceded that such opportunities don't open up all that often as there's not a whole lot of turnover with the guys who already have these jobs. Once they're sitting in the chair and have proven their live broadcast mettle it's a comfortable seat.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Angus Reid is a case in point where he's gotten better and better and more insightful versus just spewing what he used to and that was just more of the Wally speak. Now he's more objective and it's better in that role.

I used to think Chris Burns was just okay but in the last couple of seasons it's really hitting home how his experience in a variety of CFL teams and good and bad situations helps. Now I look forward to his insights.

I honestly don't think MB is going to be any different than a Kavis Reed. Both these guys are best at non HC roles as they don't have the focus, vision, and understanding of the distinction in roles between a HC and an assistant as well as what players and a team needs in the heat of the game. You can't have wild ranting and running at the mouth like these guys as you're supposed to be one of the coaching top guys who keep their heads while around them others are losing theirs. To me that is the thrill of a HC being both in the moment but thinking strategically ahead of where you are in the game and your situation. Running mouths that never stop pretty soon lead to player tune out.

The Austin TSN video where the players spoke as well as Austin said it best. He doesn't have a story for the team everyday but when he speaks everyone in the room is listening! That is leadership.

When I coached men some of whom were ex pros and some were CFLers - past and present - back in my mens' soccer coaching days - it was the pros who said players even at that level don't listen to long talks. I ran even my post game reviews pre-practice on the simple adage - if we're talking we're not improving as we're not playing. I got across the key learning points - good and bad and we worked on this. But what a coach needs is that same clear message on how our team plays our game. You don't need to repeat the specifics of the big picture message leaving room for specifics like who is where, when and where you focus in that game is to be.

Mike is like Kavis - rah rah, battle and yap yap yap. Mike mic'd up in preseason was ranting at refs an entire game. PRE = Freaking SEASON rantings.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Very happy Bene is there and not in BC as a coach.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Angus Reid is a case in point where he's gotten better and better and more insightful versus just spewing what he used to and that was just more of the Wally speak. Now he's more objective and it's better in that role.

I used to think Chris Burns was just okay but in the last couple of seasons it's really hitting home how his experience in a variety of CFL teams and good and bad situations helps. Now I look forward to his insights.

I honestly don't think MB is going to be any different than a Kavis Reed. Both these guys are best at non HC roles as they don't have the focus, vision, and understanding of the distinction in roles between a HC and an assistant as well as what players and a team needs in the heat of the game. You can't have wild ranting and running at the mouth like these guys as you're supposed to be one of the coaching top guys who keep their heads while around them others are losing theirs. To me that is the thrill of a HC being both in the moment but thinking strategically ahead of where you are in the game and your situation. Running mouths that never stop pretty soon lead to player tune out.

The Austin TSN video where the players spoke as well as Austin said it best. He doesn't have a story for the team everyday but when he speaks everyone in the room is listening! That is leadership.

When I coached men some of whom were ex pros and some were CFLers - past and present - back in my mens' soccer coaching days - it was the pros who said players even at that level don't listen to long talks. I ran even my post game reviews pre-practice on the simple adage - if we're talking we're not improving as we're not playing. I got across the key learning points - good and bad and we worked on this. But what a coach needs is that same clear message on how our team plays our game. You don't need to repeat the specifics of the big picture message leaving room for specifics like who is where, when and where you focus in that game is to be.

Mike is like Kavis - rah rah, battle and yap yap yap. Mike mic'd up in preseason was ranting at refs an entire game. PRE = Freaking SEASON rantings.

Yeah but MB is in his element on the TSN Panel, so yap away Benny.
CardiacKid
Legend

I very much enjoyed it when he gave Stegal that somewhat dismissive wave of the hand... Stegal is easily the weakest link on that panel in terms of insight provided, his sometimes harebrained take on things and his stumbling on camera. Way too often those guys let BS slide from their colleagues; it was refreshing to see him show his true opinion of Milt's opinion on "winning ugly".
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I very much enjoyed it when he gave Stegal that somewhat dismissive wave of the hand... Stegal is easily the weakest link on that panel in terms of insight provided, his sometimes harebrained take on things and his stumbling on camera. Way too often those guys let BS slide from their colleagues; it was refreshing to see him show his true opinion of Milt's opinion on "winning ugly".

The thing I like about Milt is that he is a contrarian, at least to some extent, and he is unpredictable.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:I very much enjoyed it when he gave Stegal that somewhat dismissive wave of the hand... Stegal is easily the weakest link on that panel in terms of insight provided, his sometimes harebrained take on things and his stumbling on camera. Way too often those guys let BS slide from their colleagues; it was refreshing to see him show his true opinion of Milt's opinion on "winning ugly".

The thing I like about Milt is that he is a contrarian, at least to some extent, and he is unpredictable.
True, he does elicit a response from the other panel members from time to time.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Milt never won a Grey Cup; his perspective on how much the ugliness of a win matters is therefore irrevocably tainted.

Sometimes I think when these guys debate contentious issues and league goings-on, they stage fake disagreements for the sake of supposedly making better television. Get some conflict happening, however manufactured. Sensationalise the proceedings, rather than ever have everyone boringly agree on anything. They probably even draw lots beforehand off camera with every issue to see who has to be the one defending the unpopular opinion, *this* time, or maybe have them assigned in some sort of rotation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Milt is respected for a ton of reasons and he too has gotten better and better. He's not the loose cannon he was at first.

That he didn't get a GC should not be a blemish. He could easily have FA'd himself out of Wpg and I commend him and the Bombers for how they treated this guy vs. dumping Charles Roberts to BC in a trade for joe smith.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Milt is respected for a ton of reasons and he too has gotten better and better. He's not the loose cannon he was at first.

That he didn't get a GC should not be a blemish. He could easily have FA'd himself out of Wpg and I commend him and the Bombers for how they treated this guy vs. dumping Charles Roberts to BC in a trade for joe smith.
I don't hold his lack of rings against him as a player; he had a heck of a career. But I could understand how his never having won the big one might colour his views of whether the How matters as much as the How Many.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sekeres just announced that Bene will be appearing on his 1040 show from 12-12:45p tomorrow. Given the sudden heightened speculation on Tedford's future pending tonight's result this could be interesting.