Lions vs. The Als Thursday, Sept. 3rd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

I just finished talking with a friend who lives in Montreal and stays in close contact with the Als front office. He mentioned to me that the Als are PUMPED to play the Lions this week, and yesterday's and today's practices saw the team, under Jim Popp, FIRED UP and apparently talking a lot about the Lions, Arceneaux, etc. The Als are a different team under Popp and sky high after their victory in Hamilton, or so I am told.

As I mentioned earlier today, this is a game that the Lions had better be pumped up and ready for coming off of the bye because the Als are looking to lay a beating on the Leos! This is one of those "make or break" games for the Lions under Tedford IMO, if they go into MTL and get pasted it could have a horrible effect on the players and the rest of the season.

We will see...

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:I just finished talking with a friend who lives in Montreal and stays in close contact with the Als front office. He mentioned to me that the Als are PUMPED to play the Lions this week, and yesterday's and today's practices saw the team, under Jim Popp, FIRED UP and apparently talking a lot about the Lions, Arceneaux, etc. The Als are a different team under Popp and sky high after their victory in Hamilton, or so I am told.

As I mentioned earlier today, this is a game that the Lions had better be pumped up and ready for coming off of the bye because the Als are looking to lay a beating on the Leos! This is one of those "make or break" games for the Lions under Tedford IMO, if they go into MTL and get pasted it could have a horrible effect on the players and the rest of the season.

We will see...

MLF
Here's hoping for something better than what we got when we came off our mid-season bye a year ago, in Ottawa. Don't think anyone here needs a history lesson on how that night shook down.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I just finished talking with a friend who lives in Montreal and stays in close contact with the Als front office. He mentioned to me that the Als are PUMPED to play the Lions this week, and yesterday's and today's practices saw the team, under Jim Popp, FIRED UP and apparently talking a lot about the Lions, Arceneaux, etc. The Als are a different team under Popp and sky high after their victory in Hamilton, or so I am told.

We will see...

MLF
Here's hoping for something better than what we got when we came off our mid-season bye a year ago, in Ottawa. Don't think anyone here needs a history lesson on how that night shook down.
Right now I'd be happy with a touchdownless 7-5 victory as the Lions are currently in a race to the bottom with those pesky Riders who refuse to give up the race. Both teams are train wrecks right now and for both teams it is coaching that is the biggest deficit.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Arceneaux better be wearing ear plugs because there's going to be a lot of trash talking coming his way.
maxlion
Legend

We will see...

MLF
Als may be sky high now, but are still very beatable, imo. Sometimes too much confidence can be a bad thing. Still, Lions better come out ready to play if they want to keep their post season hopes alive.

Arseneaux's comments were foolish and disrespectful. I'd be embarrased if I were one of his teammates.

It will be interesting to see if Rainey and Hawkins can make an impact. Both have some speed and playmaking ability, which has been lacking. Will they get some blocking on returns? Will Lulay be able to get them the ball in open space? Will the play calling give them an opportunity to succeed?

With the lack of experience at qb on mtl, we should be able to put some pressure on and take advantage. A weak offense run by a 3rd string qb should not be able to romp all over us. Time for the D to step up if it is ever going to.

Definitely the biggest game of the year for both teams.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:

We will see...

MLF
Als may be sky high now, but are still very beatable, imo. Sometimes too much confidence can be a bad thing. Still, Lions better come out ready to play if they want to keep their post season hopes alive.

Arseneaux's comments were foolish and disrespectful. I'd be embarrased if I were one of his teammates.

It will be interesting to see if Rainey and Hawkins can make an impact. Both have some speed and playmaking ability, which has been lacking. Will they get some blocking on returns? Will Lulay be able to get them the ball in open space? Will the play calling give them an opportunity to succeed?

With the lack of experience at qb on mtl, we should be able to put some pressure on and take advantage. A weak offense run by a 3rd string qb should not be able to romp all over us. Time for the D to step up if it is ever going to.

Definitely the biggest game of the year for both teams.
While I don't share your optimism about the Als game (other than Cato is suffering some and starting to look like a rookie often does) I can't agree more that Arseneaux's comments putting the Arse into Arceneaux should be just as you say:

Viewed as "foolish and disrespectful. I'd be embarrased if I were one of his teammates."

But not one person in the Lions organization has uttered a peep on this and his teammates and even a coach have supported his doubling down on his comments on twitter.

I also agree that being mile high in practice is not always translated into game day play.

The Lions don't exactly excel when they play in Montreal and I'm expecting the same outcome for BC as they got their last game - an ugly L.

I was thinking yesterday if the question of a thread was "What is the one positive you see for BC heading into the Als game this week?" how would I reply to that? What is the one positive thing I've picked up since the last game from the media, coaches' statements or what I saw from the listless lifeless Lions in the last few games?

The only positive thing I can think of is that they got a week's rest and a party at Tedford's house.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: The Lions don't exactly excel when they play in Montreal and I'm expecting the same outcome for BC as they got their last game - an ugly L.

I was thinking yesterday if the question of a thread was "What is the one positive you see for BC heading into the Als game this week?" how would I reply to that? What is the one positive thing I've picked up since the last game from the media, coaches' statements or what I saw from the listless lifeless Lions in the last few games?

The only positive thing I can think of is that they got a week's rest and a party at Tedford's house.
I was a lot more pessimistic last year. Under Bene, Jones, and Glenn, it was obvious we weren't going anywhere. With all of the changes this year, I expected some growing pains, and of course there is no guarantee that things will get better. But I recognize that there are different routes to being successful. Tedford's way might be different than Hufnagel or Austin or Jones. Anyways, the jury's still out and, like everyone else, I'm waiting to see improvement. But at least this year I have some hope.

I expect the Lions to win and play well against the Als. Cortez has had a lot of success, and I think the changes to the offensive personnel were made to play to his strengths. The new players should add some excitement and energy.

Another L and another boring game would be very disappointing.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: The Lions don't exactly excel when they play in Montreal and I'm expecting the same outcome for BC as they got their last game - an ugly L.

I was a lot more pessimistic last year. Under Bene, Jones, and Glenn, it was obvious we weren't going anywhere. With all of the changes this year, I expected some growing pains, and of course there is no guarantee that things will get better. But I recognize that there are different routes to being successful. Tedford's way might be different than Hufnagel or Austin or Jones. Anyways, the jury's still out and, like everyone else, I'm waiting to see improvement. But at least this year I have some hope.

I expect the Lions to win and play well against the Als. Cortez has had a lot of success, and I think the changes to the offensive personnel were made to play to his strengths. The new players should add some excitement and energy.

This may be not much of an original thought but if we lose this game I'll be absolutely shocked if end up making the playoffs. In fact if I get the chance I'll submit that one to Sekeres's Tell Me I'm Wrong tomorrow. Four points out of a berth with 6 of 9 remaining games to be played against what are clearly right now the four top teams in the league, having already lost 2 of 3 games already played against these same four opponents. Even with a win it won't be easy.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

^^^^You just said what I was thinking.

The way I look at it, if BC can't win at least 1 game each vs MTL and OTT (go 0-2 in the season series vs both), they can forget about making the playoffs, and should be making moves to get ready for next season.

The biggest priority is try to develop a new QB.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
maxlion wrote:

This may be not much of an original thought but if we lose this game I'll be absolutely shocked if end up making the playoffs. In fact if I get the chance I'll submit that one to Sekeres's Tell Me I'm Wrong tomorrow. Four points out of a berth with 6 of 9 remaining games to be played against what are clearly right now the four top teams in the league, having already lost 2 of 3 games already played against these same four opponents. Even with a win it won't be easy.
\

SJ, I just took a look at the Lions remaining games and its looks like 3-7 to me, which would put the Lions at 6-12, out of the playoffs and still without the #1 overall pick. Tough schedule ahead for the Lions. And I agree with the other poster that MTL is not unbeatable, but after beating HAM in HAM...we couldn't do that...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
InUrFace
Rookie

We will see...

MLF
All I will mention is ...With Lulay as QB we are doomed ..his accuracy and inconstancy is catching up in every game.
With the same play book schemes nothing will happen and with the D Washington uses well we will be run over with the run game again and they will mix it up on us. We wont know what will come ... and their D has multiple packages and looks, specially with their blitz. So I feel like you said if Lions aint pumped and roaring on that field then they will be leaving the field with their tale between their legs looking not like King of the Jungle but the prey for Mont feasting.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dinner on David Braley and the Lions stink out the place at Tim Hortons Field, party at Jeff Tedford's..............
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Oh the Als are beatable all right...just not by the Lions at this point.

Unless we see a Tedford influence and a change in the play calling on O and a more aggressive scheme on D, than we can expect pretty much the same results in the second half of the season as the first half and maybe worse.

I am hoping (but not expecting) that Tedford took the opportunity during the bye week to read the riot act to his OC and DC much like Wally getting Chaps to change his play calling in 2011 or risk being unemployed in December.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I was thinking yesterday if the question of a thread was "What is the one positive you see for BC heading into the Als game this week?" how would I reply to that? What is the one positive thing I've picked up since the last game from the media, coaches' statements or what I saw from the listless lifeless Lions in the last few games?

The Lions have finally shown that they are willing to juggle their lineup to remove underperforming players. Inserting Burnham and Hawkins as starting receivers and moving Arceneaux around will at least keep the Als off guard, and inserting Minter and perhaps Parker and Dickson on defence could plug the holes that the Als and other opponents have freely exploited.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish offers more details on the addition of Lavelle Hawkins and on Jeff Tedford's efforts to get faster on offence:
With the additions of Hawkins, Burnham and returner/running back Chris Rainey, who joined the team last Friday for the first practice following a bye week, Tedford is endeavouring to load up on players he terms “fast-twitchers and ankle-breakers.”

Speed, and moves that can make prospective tacklers stagger like frat boys on a Friday night, are welcomed concepts for a sluggish Lions offence that relies heavily on Andrew Harris and, too often, a fling and a prayer.

“We’re trying to be more dynamic on offence, trying to get guys in certain positions,” Tedford explained. “Making guys miss, yards after catch, those (plays) provide a boost for your team. I know what Hawkins can do (Tedford coached him for three seasons at Cal). He can provide explosion, if we get him the football.”
Lions turn to speedy receivers to liven up struggling offence

I don't know how fast Hawkins really is. He didn't stand out at mini-camp or on the first day of training camp before he broke his arm. He ran a 4.57 40 at the 2008 NFL combine, which ranks among the times of the other international receivers on the Lions roster. Canadians Shaquille Murray-Lawrence and Shawn Gore ran faster times in their CFL draft years, as did the recently released A.C. Leonard in the 2014 NFL combine. Hopefully Hawkins will be able to draw on his NFL experience to get open and can be the "fast-twitcher" that Tedford is seeking to make people miss in the open field.