Canadian Quarterbacks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am

The way the QBs are counted these days there's no benefit or need for a Canadian QB - sadly.

Always has me thinking of the Waylon Jennings song for Canadian QBs:

"Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."

Insert QBs for cowboys and that's about how it works.

Maybe this agreement with the CFLPA will change that for teams to count a Canadian QB as a National for the starting ratio - not much of a change.
What I find perplexing about the "ratio" when it comes to QBs is that while there is no mandate that says or encourages a team to have one there is nothing in the roster rules that is a roadblock either. A team could have NATs holding all 3 QB spots if they wanted to.

Myself I want the 3 QBs on my favourite team to be :
Starter - a QB capable of leading the team to a championship in the very near future
Backup - a QB who has developed to the point where if the starter goes down he can come in and hold his own. I don't expect him to be on par with the starter but hope he can at least "hold serve" for a few games until the starter is healthy and is a year or at most 2 away from fitting my starter criteria.
#3 - a development QB who by end of 2nd year shows he's ready to step up into backup role. If not then it's road map and apple time...….Canadian or not.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.