Lions sign Austin Collie

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

That is a fairly big FA signing...a National to boot.

LIONS SIGN NFL VETERAN RECEIVER AUSTIN COLLIE

The BC Lions Football Club announced this afternoon that veteran NFL receiver Austin Collie has signed with the team.

Collie spent five seasons in the NFL most notably with the Indianapolis Colts who drafted the BYU standout in 2009. Establishing himself as one of the league’s top rookies that year, he hauled in 60 receptions for 676 yards while also becoming a prime target of quarterback Peyton Manning. He capped the year with a 123-yard performance in the AFC Championship and also notched 66 yards on six catches in the Super Bowl versus New Orleans.

“Austin has an established football resume and will add depth, speed and experience to our roster,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “He is an exciting player that I know our fans will enjoy watching this season.”

In total, Collie played in 42 games over four seasons for the Colts catching 173 passes for 1,845 yards and 16 touchdowns. In 2013, he signed with the New England Patriots where he made seven regular season appearances with six receptions for 63 yards.

“I’m excited to be joining the Lions and very much look forward to playing in the CFL,”said Collie from his home in Salt Lake City. “The wide-open play of the Canadian game and the passion of fans across the league is going to be a lot of fun to experience.”

Under provisions of last year’s new CFL collective bargaining agreement, the Hamilton-born Collie will qualify as a National on the Lions’ roster.

Thank you for your support as a BC Lions season ticket holder!
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A great signing especially since he is a Nat., born in Hamilton when his dad played for the TiCats.

I thought some injury problems ended his career in the NFL. Possibly concussion related and if so he might still be a ??? Does anyone know for sure as I am just guessing/going from a faulty memory.
David
Team Captain

This is a big signing. :thup: Everyone was commending the Als when it was reported that they had signed him (premature as it turns out.....perhaps they had a change of heart when they had to back-up the Brinks truck to sign Green?).

This off-season is already turning out much better than last year when it was one doom-and-gloom story after another.

So, one problem solved (and we likely won't be drafting a receiver in the early rounds), but just one question. Who's going to throw him the ball? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If I'm Poblah, I'd be a little worry
Upward
prospect

Any guesses at what the starting receivers might be?
Areceneaux, Jackson (if he signs?), Taylor, Gore, Collie?
Or go with 3 Nationls?
Other back ups Burnham, Tuinei, Iannuzzi
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:If I'm Poblah, I'd be a little worry
Better get in line to be a little worried
- M. Ianuzzi and S. Gore
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Been nice having you on the team, Marco.
aklawitter
All Star

arceneaux, taylor, jackson, collie, haidara, tuinei, ianuzzi/gore/other

i'm ok with that
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:A great signing especially since he is a Nat., born in Hamilton when his dad played for the TiCats.

I thought some injury problems ended his career in the NFL. Possibly concussion related and if so he might still be a ??? Does anyone know for sure as I am just guessing/going from a faulty memory.
Yes he does have a history of concussions.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From his 2009 draft year ...
3. Austin Collie (WR, Brigham Young): Contrary to popular belief, Vaughn Martin wasn't the first Canadian chosen in the 2009 NFL Draft. That honour belongs to Collie, the Indianapolis Colts fourth rounder, who was born in Hamilton, Ontario while his father Scott was catching passes for the Tiger-Cats. Unfortunately, Collie doesn't qualify as a
non-import under the CFL's current rules.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Skipped his senior year at BYU. Drafted in the 4th round with the NFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/4/27/8 ... -nfl-draft
2009 Indianapolis Colts NFL Draft Grades: WR Austin Collie

By Brad Wells  @StampedeBlue on Apr 27 2009, 5:02p 21

Pretty much everyone and their mother thought the Colts were going to take a wide receiver with their first pick in the draft on Saturday. With the departure of Marvin Harrison, and with solid receiver like Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks available in the late-first round, it appeared obvious that the Colts would go WR and add yet another first round blue chip to their already impressive receiving corps.

As we now know, they didn't draft a WR in Round One. In fact, the waited all the way till the Fourth Round before they finally took WR Auston Collie out of BYU. Unlike Britt, Nicks, or even Darrius Heyward-Bey, the Colts took Collie not because they expect him to play on the outside. They took Collie because, in the mind of Bill Polian, the kid is a clone of Brandon Stokley, who was once one of the best slot receivers this league has ever seen.

20071109134948__mg_5080_medium

Marvin Harrison-like?

Photo: www.danransom.com

Collie is one of these guys were should have done a draft report on. I mean, it is OBVIOUS how much he matches the kind of WR the Colts love to draft. From one scouting report:

Collie is a sharp, precise route runner who knows how to get open. His football speed is a tad faster than his 40 yard time (ran a slow 4.55 at the Combine). He has quick feet and is more athletic than many believe. Excelling at selling fakes, Collie has very good hands. He lacks prototypical size, but doesn't get shoved off his routes; he gets up and grabs anything thrown his way. He has a good demeanor.

He runs great routes and catches what is thrown to him. He doesn't have great size (6'0, 200 pounds), but as we have long maintained here at Stampede Blue, height and weight are over-rated when evaluating a player. This is especially true of receivers.

Collie's strengths seem to be geared towards him playing the slot receiver position when the Colts go 3 wide. From Bill Polian:

If you think Brandon Stokley, that’s [Collie's] style. Let’s hope he turns out to be as good (as Stokley). He has good hands, (runs) great routes and is a good slot receiver, a very good runner after the catch. He has kickoff return ability as well.

So, to be clear, drafting Collie was not a move to "replace" Marvin Harrison. Marvin's successor as the primary receiver in Indy's offense is Reggie Wayne. Replacing Reggie as the #2 receiver is Anthony Gonzalez, who was always better playing outside than he was playing slot receiver.

Now, it seems like Collie will battle with Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon from the slot receiver spot.

Regardless of whether Collie wins the job or not, he will likely spend a lot of time on special teams, regardless. But that doesn't seem to bother Collie. He seems like yet another high character guy who is willing to play anywhere:

"I’m anywhere the Colts need me to be. I can play whatever position as far as inside at the slot or outside. I definitely think I run exceptional routes and have good hands. I think that’s kind of the personality of the Colts wide receiving corps. They’re guys that are technicians and guys that know how to get open, and guys that can make plays. I definitely think that this is the best fit for me. I can play anywhere they want me to play."

Seems like Polian has found yet another WR that can grow and mature in this offense.

DRAFT GRADE: Solid

Some video if Collie making some absolutely SICK catches:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1273775

Very detailed report ...

Sounds like lots of intangibles. Great hands. Can get open. Strong, although not big. Fast enough, but no burner. Smart player. Goes up for the ball. Runs great routes.

A great signing for us. Bonus.

We are having a pretty good off season. Yup.

And we would certainly like to hit some home runs in the draft.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Been nice having you on the team, Marco.
I'd keep him to return kicks.
JohnHenry
Champion

6' 0", 205 is ideal size for the CFL.