Argos and Riders trade - Emry for Foley

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

That Ricky Foley does get around, doesn't he. Homesick again maybe, he's been traded back to Toronto for Shea Emry. Have to think the Argos get the better part of that deal; Emry was a standout in Montreal but didn't perform up to snuff in Toronto. Yes he had some good-appearing statistic, but he seemed to get noticed more for being caught out of position and taking spectacularly bad penalties.

http://riderville.com/article/riders-ac ... -shea-emry
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Foley is older than Emry but I agree that he's the better of the two players. It's a great trade for the Argos, especially after Foldy was so emotional about winning the 2012 Grey Cup in his hometown.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

This is probably a win-win for both. Riders have had a gaping hole at MLB for a couple years now and their DL is getting long in the tooth. Emry is an upgrade on everybody they currently have on the roster who might be able to play MLB. Foley on the other hand turns 33 in June. Best case scenario is he can continue at the same level for another year or two but his play could also start to decline. Much like the Lions the Riders do have an aging DL with Foley, Chick and George all being 32+. Riders get younger on D and fill a big need without changing their ratio.

The Argos did sign former draft pick Cory Greenwood late last season and have 5 other NAT LBs on the roster not counting Emry. While they had a lot of NAT depth at LB they were very thin on the DL. They have a pretty good NAT DL in Cleyon Laing with nobody really to back him up other than journeyman Ivan Brown. Greenwood had been playing in the NFL as a backup MLB with KC and Detroit prior to that. For the Argos it looks to me like they were needed to improve their NAT DL depth and with Greenwood had the MLB depth to move Emry. They can still have a NAT starter at MLB while making it easier to start a NAT on the DL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Riders just re-signed Foley, so I wonder how the ever tempermental Foley is taking the trade considering that he could have went to any team he wanted to.

Riders need someone who can play MLB and Emry is going to help, but I do know that Foley did fit, as far as Emry, well it may be a fit, but he is an unknown to their system. For a position that is an International generally, I would think that the Riders could have scouted for talent this off season and keep Foley in the mix.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

It's amazing how Foley's stock has risen, after nobody wanted him as a free agent when he left Toronto. The Riders signed Foley to a reported $85,000 contract. I had strongly suggested the Lions sign him when he was available, despite his couple of down years with the Argos. With his recent resigning, he's probably earning much closer to his original $150k contract in Toronto, the deal which caused Foley to leave the Lions at the alter (with a $130k offer). Now Foley's been traded straight up for Emry? I think Barker pulled off another "Let's Make a Deal" getting the inspirational Foley back with the Argos behind Door No. 1...and Emry to Regina, the boopie prize.
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:It's amazing how Foley's stock has risen, after nobody wanted him as a free agent when he left Toronto. The Riders signed Foley to a reported $85,000 contract. I had strongly suggested the Lions sign him when he was available, despite his couple of down years with the Argos. With his recent resigning, he's probably earning much closer to his original $150k contract in Toronto, the deal which caused Foley to leave the Lions at the alter (with a $130k offer). Now Foley's been traded straight up for Emry? I think Barker pulled off another "Let's Make a Deal" getting the inspirational Foley back with the Argos behind Door No. 1...and Emry to Regina, the boopie prize.
I would have signed Foley too, when we had another opportunity and instead he went to the Riders. He got 12 sacks last year and he is a ratio buster. But of course there are some who would not have wanted him back here but I wasn't one of them Canadian rush ends who can get the job done are not a dime a dozen.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:It's amazing how Foley's stock has risen, after nobody wanted him as a free agent when he left Toronto. The Riders signed Foley to a reported $85,000 contract. I had strongly suggested the Lions sign him when he was available, despite his couple of down years with the Argos. With his recent resigning, he's probably earning much closer to his original $150k contract in Toronto, the deal which caused Foley to leave the Lions at the alter (with a $130k offer). Now Foley's been traded straight up for Emry? I think Barker pulled off another "Let's Make a Deal" getting the inspirational Foley back with the Argos behind Door No. 1...and Emry to Regina, the boopie prize.
I would have signed Foley too, when we had another opportunity and instead he went to the Riders. He got 12 sacks last year and he is a ratio buster. But of course there are some who would not have wanted him back here but I wasn't one of them Canadian rush ends who can get the job done are not a dime a dozen.
funny you suggest that Foley wouldn't be welcome by some here. I am a staunch supporter of the keep Geroy out of BC for a while, but I would have welcomed Foley back if he had some kind words. Maybe it is my soft touch for Canadian's, but I don't think that he ever said anything negative about BC, just got the change of heart for TO at the time. Not as bad as what Casey Printers did to the Als, changing teams while on route.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Foley apparently was on his way to the airport to Vancouver to officially sign his contract when Barker called and suggested he stop by the Argos training facility on his way. Foley was then offered essentially a $150k guaranteed contract by the Argos. Although Foley had verbally accepted the Lions offer and really wanted to sign here, he couldn't turn down the Argos deal. But he eventually chaffed at his role in Chris Jones' defence, which included him dropping back into pass coverage and was anxious to move on. I don't believe the Lions had any interest in Foley in 2013, nor many other CFL teams. He signed for a reported $85k to $95k with the Riders in 2013.
Roughriders sign Ricky Foley
February 25, 2013
A CFL source confirmed Monday that the Roughriders had signed non-import defensive end Ricky Foley, who was named the most outstanding Canadian in the Toronto Argonauts’ 2012 Grey Cup victory over the Calgary Stampeders.
The source suggested Foley — a 30-year-old product of Courtice, Ont., who became a free agent Feb. 15 — is to receive an annual salary of between $85,000 and $95,000 in Saskatchewan. - See more at: http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2013/02/25/ ... mz68o.dpuf
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He is a ratio buster. And he is a very talented athlete. Great motor.

Although he seems to be kind of a strange character, it seems to me he is a low maintenance athlete, and a good teammate.

At his pay scale he is a huge bargain.

Back home near the farm. :thup:

A verbal agreement is binding, but in some cases the aggrieved party just lets the other one walk. And a team really does not want an unhappy camper.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.