Fred Stamps traded to Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://cfl.ca/article/end-of-an-era-esk ... mps-to-als

I'm thinking Montreal wins on this one.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's been an interesting couple of days of trades in the CFL, with Calgary sending WR Maurice Price to Ottawa and Edmonton sending Fred Stamps to Montreal. Both receivers had big contracts and diminishing roles on their old clubs but they're young enough that they can still be prime contributors in the right situation. Montreal could lose Duron Carter and S.J. Green to free agency, so the acquisition of a veteran slotback makes sense. Price has been injured throughout his time in Calgary and was drawing a huge salary for a part-time player. In Ottawa he could end up taking a starting WR spot with another oft-injured receiver, ex-Lion Kierrie Johnson.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is this due to his unhappiness with his role or money?

If you sign a big contract in the CFL you won't stay with that team long.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Is this due to his unhappiness with his role or money?

That is the problem with football contracts, they are made for the team and allow an incompetent GM to cover his tracks. I will never understand why the players union never struck a deal to have binding contracts. That said, Stamps was at best number 2 in Edmonton and that doesn't sit well with a top receivers mindset. Not sure that he is that goto guy anymore, and not sure that Montreal really needs a Geroy Simon type season out of him, as they always seem to have a good pipe line to finding a new receiver.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess this is insurance since the Als look poised to lose Carter and potentially Green. He is inked to TC and then if for some reason they don't lose Carter and/or Green, they can set him adrift. If they do lose both however, then they have a handle on a good receiver that just may have another season or two in him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard that the Als made a lucrative offer to keep SJ Green. Wonder if he's going give the NFL another shot ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Heard that the Als made a lucrative offer to keep SJ Green. Wonder if he's going give the NFL another shot ?
I heard that Ottawa wants Green and has the cap room to sign him. The Als' offer was reportedly $600,000 over three years, which would be at or near the top of the pay scale for CFL receivers. He and Stamps would give Burris some sure-handed weapons, which they didn't have last year. I don't know if Burris's arm will hold up for another season, though. He'll be 40 in June.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Is this due to his unhappiness with his role or money?

That is the problem with football contracts, they are made for the team and allow an incompetent GM to cover his tracks. I will never understand why the players union never struck a deal to have binding contracts. That said, Stamps was at best number 2 in Edmonton and that doesn't sit well with a top receivers mindset. Not sure that he is that goto guy anymore, and not sure that Montreal really needs a Geroy Simon type season out of him, as they always seem to have a good pipe line to finding a new receiver.
BCF - incompetent GM or tricky GM that is the question.

Things do change. They sign the guy to huge dollars which seems fine and then they get cheaper guys.

There are times when I honestly question if the team signing a post season bonus is ever intended to be paid out as the team dumps the guy before it is due and we fans all say - yes, the GM did it as his production was done or in Wally's case - 'Wally knows best' and he's got rid of the guy before his best before date to prevent skills deterioration.

The team has to be able to trade or release but the SMS sure dictates this sort of movement of players. There is not much loyalty as the bucks aren't there in the CFL. The game has to be grown.

I know two players who had good CFL careers - both out of SFU. One chose to seek income maximization and a starting role so he moved teams frequently and went for the dollars. He was moved due to contracts at times but mostly he went to grab dollars. His friend wanted to stay in BC and while he made good money in the good part of the 80s he wasn't an income maximizer and stayed entirely in BC for his long career.

Lui P. could be said to be similar and while I know Lui well as I hired him he is not the player in my prior paragraph.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy