Top Ten Runs of 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CFL has posted a video of its Top 10 running plays of 2014. And for Number One they selected... a PASS?!? Granted the yards gained were pretty much all YAC from a shovel pass, by a high-profile RB, but still...

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/107723

The plays were all TDs — which seems to have been one of the main selection criteria. Otherwise I might have expected to see on the list Dan LeFevour's 63yd gallop against us here in Week 7 — which was the longest QB rush of 2014, although it fell short of the endzone as did ultimately the drive of which it was part. While BC did not appear among the defences on the list (not that this absolves the team of its 2014 shortcomings), Harris's TD in our first game against Ssk made the cut, as it should have IMO.

The top 10 were:

10. Chevon Walker (Ott), 65yd TD @ Edm, Week 3
9. Zach Collaros (Ham), 28yd TD @ Tor, Week 16
8. Jon Cornish (Cgy), 79yd TD vs Tor, Week 12
7. Anthony Allen (Ssk), 15yd TD vs Wpg, Week 10
6. John White (Edm), 36yd TD vs Ssk, Week 14
5. Jeremiah Johnson (Ott), 25yd TD vs Ham, Week 19
4. Brad Sinopoli (Cgy), 26yd TD vs Ham, Week 4
3. John White (Edm), 58yd TD @ Mtl, Week 7
2. Andrew Harris (BC), 58yd TD @ Ssk, Week 3
1. Jon Cornish (Cgy), 78yd TD vs Edm, Week 22 (WF)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A shovel pass is a still pass. I loved what Cornish did with it but Harris's run stands as the real top rushing play of the year.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think that simpoli did the best with avoiding what looked like a sure tackle for a loss. Specially since he isn't the fastest runner.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A shovel pass is a still pass. I loved what Cornish did with it but Harris's run stands as the real top rushing play of the year.
Agree, Harris' run gets my vote.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A shovel pass is a still pass. I loved what Cornish did with it but Harris's run stands as the real top rushing play of the year.
but it is top ten runs, not top ten rushing plays. yac yards are runs.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:yac yards
*Eye twitch*
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions4ever wrote:
*Eye twitch*
Nice try at being redundant except that there are other body parts that twitch besides an eye.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

imgres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
I think runs are understood to be rushing plays. No other passing plays with a lot of YAC appeared on the list. Besides, if we're going to allow such plays — and as someone who has no love for the Riders, I HATE to admit this — I'd rank Weston Dressler's catch-and-run 60yd TD in Week 13 against Ott ahead of the Cornish play and perhaps even the best YAC play of the year. Cornish on his run after catch eludes a couple of would-be tacklers near the first down marker but nobody else ever really threatens to lay an hand on him the rest of the way.

Dressler did more than just outrun defenders on his play to reach the end zone. Here's a link to the play:

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/103235

He's wide open as he takes the pass from Sunseri just five yards over LOS right at midfield and encounters two Ott defenders (#6 Antoine Pruneau and #24 Jerell Gavins) near the Ott40 who look to have him dead to rights. Pruneau gets one hand on him to slow him up and even spin him around, but ends up lying almost prostrate on the turf. Gavins barely touches him and gets himself out of position, by which time Getzlaf arrives to keep him out of the play and Dressler turns himself around to continue upfield, leaving them both behind.

Shortly thereafter another would-be tackler (#2 Jovon Johnson) arrives to meet Dressler at the Ott32 but he completely sidesteps the lunge of Johnson to leave him behind as well and proceeds toward the near sideline as he continues his run.

Two more Ott defenders (#5 Eddie Elder above and #14 Abdul Kanneh below) arrive on the scene near the Ott05 with fairly good pursuit angles, but Kanneh times his diving attempt at Dressler's legs too early and falls short, barely touching him, while Elder gets in front of Dressler, but Dressler slows himself down just long enough to let Elder's momentum take him out of bounds, allowing Dressler an easy last couple of (backward) strides into goal.

If Cornish's YAC is good enough for the list then so is Dressler's. But they're both passing plays so neither should be included.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
*Eye twitch*
Nice try at being redundant except that there are other body parts that twitch besides an eye.
I don't think he was going for an equally redundant phrase in his response, rather just registering his reaction to the initial redundancy.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I don't think yac yards is redundant. Yards after catch is just one type of yards, as opposed to rushing yard, kick return yards, passing yards, fumble return yards, etc.

Is cash money redundant?? just wondering
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
I think runs are understood to be rushing plays. No other passing plays with a lot of YAC appeared on the list. Besides, if we're going to allow such plays — and as someone who has no love for the Riders, I HATE to admit this — I'd rank Weston Dressler's catch-and-run 60yd TD in Week 13 against Ott ahead of the Cornish play and perhaps even the best YAC play of the year. Cornish on his run after catch eludes a couple of would-be tacklers near the first down marker but nobody else ever really threatens to lay an hand on him the rest of the way.

Dressler did more than just outrun defenders on his play to reach the end zone. Here's a link to the play:

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/103235

He's wide open as he takes the pass from Sunseri just five yards over LOS right at midfield and encounters two Ott defenders (#6 Antoine Pruneau and #24 Jerell Gavins) near the Ott40 who look to have him dead to rights. Pruneau gets one hand on him to slow him up and even spin him around, but ends up lying almost prostrate on the turf. Gavins barely touches him and gets himself out of position, by which time Getzlaf arrives to keep him out of the play and Dressler turns himself around to continue upfield, leaving them both behind.

Shortly thereafter another would-be tackler (#2 Jovon Johnson) arrives to meet Dressler at the Ott32 but he completely sidesteps the lunge of Johnson to leave him behind as well and proceeds toward the near sideline as he continues his run.

Two more Ott defenders (#5 Eddie Elder above and #14 Abdul Kanneh below) arrive on the scene near the Ott05 with fairly good pursuit angles, but Kanneh times his diving attempt at Dressler's legs too early and falls short, barely touching him, while Elder gets in front of Dressler, but Dressler slows himself down just long enough to let Elder's momentum take him out of bounds, allowing Dressler an easy last couple of (backward) strides into goal.

If Cornish's YAC is good enough for the list then so is Dressler's. But they're both passing plays so neither should be included.
I agree that as far as I can remember, Dressler's yac yards on this play is the best of the season. Maybe it has to do with whether or not the receiver got the ball before or past the LOS
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I don't think yac yards is redundant. Yards after catch is just one type of yards, as opposed to rushing yard, kick return yards, passing yards, fumble return yards, etc.

Is cash money redundant?? just wondering
The redundancy in "YAC yards" is in the use of the word yards when the letter Y to denote yards is already incorporated into YAC. Strictly it should either be AC yards, or just YAC. And to be clear, while your statement might give a different impression, they fall under passing yards, they're not recorded (if at all, officially) as a fully separate category.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I agree that as far as I can remember, Dressler's yac yards on this play is the best of the season. Maybe it has to do with whether or not the receiver got the ball before or past the LOS
It shouldn't. Those plays both went into the books as passing plays.