Benevides Fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

jmc24 wrote:Please give up on the Dave Dickensen idea. He is simply NOT coming here. Having said that , I have no idea who is. Lapo? No thanks. Time to go off the board and get someone fresh. Surprise the hell out of us Wally
Have some inside info? Has Dickenson told you so?

If you are seriously interested in a guy you inquire and see. Chances of Dickenson coming here? VERY slim, but slim is not the same as nothing....
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:It looks like there will be no further moves until a new coach is in place:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports ·
Been told the new coach will decide the fate of the rest of the coaching staff. No more firings.
That is an indication that Wally is seriously looking at new blood for the team, I will cross my fingers on that front. Still if I am Khari Jones, I may be writing up a new resume, regardless of who attains the newly open position of HC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Benevides does have a 33-21 regular season win/loss record, which probably puts him near the top of the career coaching list. The Lions didn't have their starting QB for 18 games this season, and lost their starting RB and No. 1 receiver for most of the year...along with a revolving door on the OL. The assistant coaches were also pre-selected for MB. I think Mike might have done better if he had prior HC experience at some level, rather than just moving up in the ranks of Wally's regime. But this boils down to "can the coach sell tickets?" Like Don Mathews who was fired mid-season by Joe Galat because of Don's caustic relationship with the press which supposedly caused Lions ticket sales to dwindle.
Big Time
Champion

This move had to be done. This was just like the Kavis Reed situation last year in Edmonton. When you have a coach who has lost emotional control, as Benevides clearly had, there's no coming back. Once your credibility is gone, it's only a matter of time before the coach is let go. MB may have been put in a difficult position but he was given the tools to succeed. He failed to measure up. If fans are commenting on how embarrassing it is to see someone so exasperated on the field, you can only imagine what the players were thinking. The comments from Marsh and the other veterans all indicate a lack of respect for the authority in MB's program. There were too many times this year where it appeared that MB has no idea what to do with the team. The lack of discipline, lack of adjustments, inability to get results. This move was a no-brainer.
Rammer
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
jmc24 wrote:Please give up on the Dave Dickensen idea. He is simply NOT coming here. Having said that , I have no idea who is. Lapo? No thanks. Time to go off the board and get someone fresh. Surprise the hell out of us Wally
Have some inside info? Has Dickenson told you so?

If you are seriously interested in a guy you inquire and see. Chances of Dickenson coming here? VERY slim, but slim is not the same as nothing....
Like I said in another thread, if DD isn't bumped up by Huf this season, he may see the writing on the wall in having Cornish to count on when you need the O to gain some yards. If that is the case he has some ties that make BC more interesting than anywhere else in the CFL.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think that those who feel that DD as HC is not an option are judging too soon. Yes, Huff could move himself upstairs to secure Dave, but a lot will depend on what happens over the next 2 weeks. I think personally that CGY is in tough against EDM this Sunday and if they do lose, will Hufnagel have the fortitude to move himself up and turns things over to someone else??? I doubt it...

As for DD NOT wanting to leave CGY...think again, he still has a house in White Rock, and a plane flight is 55 minutes to and from...plus Montana is still very close to BC. It is VERY "do-able" for DD. The key would be money and CONTROL. DD would want TOTAL CONTROL over on field decisions, including naming his own staff and rosters...plus he would want assurances from Wally that NO COMMENTS were made in public about the state of the team DURING the season! Now, would Wally do this? Would DD feel comfortable enough with this arrangement to leave CGY? I don't know, but it will come down to the type of relationship the two men have with one another!

But certainly, the decision to fire MB now relates directly to the fact that Wally has SOMEONE targeted who is coaching this weekend...that's a certainty...as I said before, Ritchie Hall would be an excellent option as well...Ritchie knows that he took too much on last time in EDM and needed better Assts. He will do much, much better the second time around as he is a very smart guy...I could see Ritchie taking Barron Miles with him and going after someone like Jeff Garcia for the offence...we will see what happens...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Big Time
Champion

I'm not sure why people are so sure Dickenson wouldn't come to BC. He is well respected in BC, has a great legacy, and has a long history with Wally. I could easily see him coming to BC under the right circumstances. Hell, even if he gets elevated to HC in Calgary, my second call would be to John Hufnagel to see if he wants to jump ship. Everyone is fair game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:It looks like there will be no further moves until a new coach is in place:
Been told the new coach will decide the fate of the rest of the coaching staff. No more firings.
That is an indication that Wally is seriously looking at new blood for the team, I will cross my fingers on that front. Still if I am Khari Jones, I may be writing up a new resume, regardless of who attains the newly open position of HC.
Dorazio better be too unless Wally likes not being able to develop quality Canadian offensive lineman. Maybe we can play with 4 or 5 internationals up front next season?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
That's a obvious approach. Buono has to give MB's replacement autonomy to make the call on the rest of the staff. There's nothing to gain by cleaning out the rest of the staff now and if he were to impose some of the incumbents on the new guy he's likely to be told thanks, but no thanks. Gotta leave those decisions up to the new guy. Giving him the autonomy to do so makes the position much more attractive than if he were to be saddled with the old staff.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
New coach. I like the sound of that.

And a new coach means change of staff. With respect for the hard work of our coaches, we need new blood.

I would not be surprised if Hufnagel does move himself upstairs. IMO he would serving his own interest, not the interest of the Stampeders, by allowing Dave Dickenson to come back to the Lions.

Let me re-phrase that. Hufnagel would not, IMO, put his own interests ahead of the Stampeders, and he might decide, at his age, to keep a top guy like Dickenson. If Hufnagel lets Dickenson go, then Hufnagel feels he himself is game for a few years yet.

Dickenson has already had offers. He can be a Head Coach pretty much any year he wants.
X2

We need fresh blood. This sounds like Buono won't be putting on a second hat, which IMHO would be a disaster if he did as he'd likely just continue with everything else unchanged. We need more than just a new HC and only a newly hired outsider would make the necessary extra changes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
The_Pauser
Legend

Big Time wrote:I'm not sure why people are so sure Dickenson wouldn't come to BC. He is well respected in BC, has a great legacy, and has a long history with Wally. I could easily see him coming to BC under the right circumstances. Hell, even if he gets elevated to HC in Calgary, my second call would be to John Hufnagel to see if he wants to jump ship. Everyone is fair game.
Why would Hufnagel want to jump ship when he's the GM in Calgary? Makes no sense.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Big Time wrote:I'm not sure why people are so sure Dickenson wouldn't come to BC. He is well respected in BC, has a great legacy, and has a long history with Wally. I could easily see him coming to BC under the right circumstances. Hell, even if he gets elevated to HC in Calgary, my second call would be to John Hufnagel to see if he wants to jump ship. Everyone is fair game.
For that to happen Wally would either have to let himself go or punt himself further upstairs. Huf would have to come over as HC & GM just for it to be a parallel move.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

I wonder if Benevides keeps this t-shirt?
JohnHenry
Champion

There's also these former head coach's available: Greg Marshall, Marcel Bellefueille, Kavis Reed, Richie Hall, Joe Pao Pao, George Cortez, Paul LaPolice, Rich Stubler. Or assistant coaches who should rate consideration: Dave Dickenson, Craig Dickenson, Tom Condell, Noel Thorpe (as long as they don't mind having their assistant coaches already in place :wink: ).
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Benevides does have a 33-21 regular season win/loss record, which probably puts him near the top of the career coaching list. The Lions didn't have their starting QB for 18 games this season, and lost their starting RB and No. 1 receiver for most of the year...along with a revolving door on the OL. The assistant coaches were also pre-selected for MB. I think Mike might have done better if he had prior HC experience at some level, rather than just moving up in the ranks of Wally's regime. But this boils down to "can the coach sell tickets?" Like Don Mathews who was fired mid-season by Joe Galat because of Don's caustic relationship with the press which supposedly caused Lions ticket sales to dwindle.
Mathews was fired for no other legit reason than joe galat was an idiot.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back