Penalty info and Bo Levi Mitchell

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Childress
Rookie

For those who are interested, I have just finished posting the top 159 penalty takers, or everyone with four or more. Some interesting info for a stats geek like me. Check it out here:

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/stats.html

Also, for those fans of the CFL and not just the Riders, we have a 90 minute interview with Bo Levi Mitchell on our radio show.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014.html
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, Childress. The J. Johnson dilemma can be resolved by poring through the Post-Game Statistics at cflmedia.ca. They list players by number and name. For example, 23 Josh Johnson and 28 Jamall Johnson each took one penalty last week against Winnipeg. Both penalties were declined. I haven't checked the stats for the other 15 games.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Childress wrote:For those who are interested, I have just finished posting the top 159 penalty takers, or everyone with four or more. Some interesting info for a stats geek like me. Check it out here:

Also, for those fans of the CFL and not just the Riders, we have a 90 minute interview with Bo Levi Mitchell on our radio show.

Your list has dozens and dozens of mistakes regarding players and the teams that they play for. This for me raises the question of credibility for the rest of your numbers.

Sorry Childress, for a self admitted stats geek you get a failure.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Childress wrote:For those who are interested, I have just finished posting the top 159 penalty takers, or everyone with four or more. Some interesting info for a stats geek like me. Check it out here:

Your list has dozens and dozens of mistakes regarding players and the teams that they play for. This for me raises the question of credibility for the rest of your numbers.

I think it might be just a formatting problem; some team entries have two teams assigned to a player and then things get out of step (and increasingly so with each such instance) from that point forward, which also helps explain why the team and player columns are different lengths.

At least that's how it looks on my screen. The first instance of this is Shea Emry who is with Toronto but there's an extra Calgary affiliation noted that should go to the next entry in the player column, (Spencer?) Wilson, who appears to be assigned to Edmonton but this would go to the next player on the list (Adarius Bowman), and so on. There are also some instances of this double entry formatting problem farther down in the player column, though not as many as for the team column.

I think the compilation would probably be all correct if this formatting issue were resolved.

EDIT: I just DL'ed and examined his excel file from the same webpage and this formatting problem doesn't exist therein; Emry is assigned to Tor only, etc, and everything is in alignment.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Thanks, Childress. The J. Johnson dilemma can be resolved by poring through the Post-Game Statistics at cflmedia.ca. They list players by number and name. For example, 23 Josh Johnson and 28 Jamall Johnson each took one penalty last week against Winnipeg. Both penalties were declined. I haven't checked the stats for the other 15 games.
Thanks for pointing out this resource. However, I can't seem to find any stats documents, under the stats link or elsewhere. Is the data quickly erased from one week to the next?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting stats. Not surprising that Arakgi is among the leaders. Wonder which J. Johnson is getting those penalties or are they been lumped together ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Interesting stats. Not surprising that Arakgi is among the leaders. Wonder which J. Johnson is getting those penalties or are they been lumped together ?
He's tied for the team lead in special teams tackles and I suspect without examining any farther that he draws his share of no yards flags in the process.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Thanks, Childress. The J. Johnson dilemma can be resolved by poring through the Post-Game Statistics at cflmedia.ca. They list players by number and name. For example, 23 Josh Johnson and 28 Jamall Johnson each took one penalty last week against Winnipeg. Both penalties were declined. I haven't checked the stats for the other 15 games.
Thanks for pointing out this resource. However, I can't seem to find any stats documents, under the stats link or elsewhere. Is the data quickly erased from one week to the next?
It's a bit cumbersome as the links are arranged by year, week and category (team statistics, league statistics, post-game statistics, game analysis reports and game notes). They all open as individual PDFs, but they contain a wealth of information. The game notes are published weekly on team websites and the league statistics PDF is published weekly at cfl.ca but most of the other files live in obscurity.

EDIT: You also have to register and set a password before you can see the files.
Childress
Rookie

Different browsers show the webpage differently. On internet explorer and chrome, which I have, the alignment is purrfect. Some using firefox have suggested a problem. I don't have firefox so it is hard to fix - though the fix would be very easy.

As another poster suggested, download the excel file and you'll get a document that is more useful as you can arrange it my team, or by yardage, or whatever you want. The formatting issues won't be there.

I have made an attempt to fix the formatting errors, but it is tough to see if it made a difference because it worked fine from my browsers. Let me know if it is better.
Childress
Rookie

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Interesting stats. Not surprising that Arakgi is among the leaders. Wonder which J. Johnson is getting those penalties or are they been lumped together ?
He's tied for the team lead in special teams tackles and I suspect without examining any farther that he draws his share of no yards flags in the process.
He has 5 - 15 yard no yards calls, 3 - 5 yard no yards calls, 2 illegal blocks, and one roughing.
Childress
Rookie

DanoT wrote:

You must live in a pretty entitled world.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Childress wrote:
DanoT wrote:

You must live in a pretty entitled world.
I don't know how questioning your stat. numbers makes me entitled, but you are entitled to your point of view.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Childress wrote:Different browsers show the webpage differently. On internet explorer and chrome, which I have, the alignment is purrfect. Some using firefox have suggested a problem. I don't have firefox so it is hard to fix - though the fix would be very easy.

As another poster suggested, download the excel file and you'll get a document that is more useful as you can arrange it my team, or by yardage, or whatever you want. The formatting issues won't be there.

I have made an attempt to fix the formatting errors, but it is tough to see if it made a difference because it worked fine from my browsers. Let me know if it is better.
Yes, I use FF and it looks fine now. :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
It's a bit cumbersome as the links are arranged by year, week and category (team statistics, league statistics, post-game statistics, game analysis reports and game notes). They all open as individual PDFs, but they contain a wealth of information. The game notes are published weekly on team websites and the league statistics PDF is published weekly at cfl.ca but most of the other files live in obscurity.

EDIT: You also have to register and set a password before you can see the files.
Ah, no wonder I had problems. I have no account so all I found was older files, mostly from 2011, I think.
Childress
Rookie

DanoT wrote:

You must live in a pretty entitled world.[/quote]

I don't know how questioning your stat. numbers makes me entitled, but you are entitled to your point of view.[/quote]

I guess I couldn't help taking offense after putting in many hours all season tracking the penalties because no one else does it and I think it is a relevant stat. Then you announced the whole thing a failure from your lofty perch because there was a few formatting errors. You could have taken the time to download the excel file.