Khreem Smith, an Appreciation -- Jim Morris cfl.ca

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/morris-two-si ... ell-for-bc
Morris: Two sides of Khreem Smith working well for BC

Posted: October 30, 2014 07:00 PM

Jim Morris
CFL.ca

Khreem Smith is one of those people who hear a drummer beating out a different rhythm than the rest of us might listen too.

The massive BC Lions defensive end can be laid back and quick to laugh. He also has a short fuse which has resulted in him mixing it up on the football field with opponents and even his own teammates.

An example of the extremes in Smith’s life can partially be explained by some of his offseason employment. Smith has worked both as a pre-school substitute teacher and a bouncer at strip clubs back in Miami.

“I like kids,” Smith said flashing a genuine smile. “I like working with kids.”

Being a bouncer also has its advantages.

“You get more money,” Smith explained. “And you are around beautiful women.”

“You just stay at the door and look mean.”

As a bouncer Smith is encouraged to talk people out of situations. That’s why he loves playing football.

“You can be aggressive all day,” he laughs. “They want you to be aggressive.”

The Lions defence was able to sack Winnipeg's quarterback, Drew Willy ten times, as the Lions extended their playoff streak to 18 seasons with a 28-23 victory in Winnipeg.

“It’s more like controlled chaos.”

At 35 years old, and playing in his fourth CFL season, Smith is having his best year. With two games remaining he already has a career high 46 tackles and 11 sacks.

Drew Willy and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers got a taste of the chaos Smith can create in the Lions’ 28-23 victory last week. Smith had a season-high eight tackles and four sacks during the win which secured BC a playoff spot and knocked the Bombers out of post-season contention.

“It was the right calls, the defensive backs helping you out,” Smith said about his rampage. “We all worked together but you don’t think you are going to get four or five sacks.”

“Everything has to work perfectly. Sometimes it’s a busted play, you just have to capitalize on it. That’s what you want, that’s what you visualize, but until it happens you don’t really know.”

The performance earned the six-foot-three, 270-pound native of St. James, Jamaica, the CFL defensive player of the week award.

“It means a lot,” Smith acknowledged. “A lot of hard work.”

“Being here four years (I never) really got any kind of ‘good job.’ That’s appreciative, very humbling. I’m thankful at the same time.”

The Lions (9-7) will face a tougher challenge on Saturday when they play the Edmonton Eskimos (11-5) at Commonwealth Stadium. The Eskimos feature the league’s leading receiver in Adarius Bowman (107 catches for 1,352 yards) and a big mobile quarterback in Mike Reilly who has rushed for 562 yards while throwing for 3,038 yards and 16 touchdowns.

“It’s a different beast, different offensive lineman,” Smith said about the matchup. “You just have to play your game.

“You should never be scared of no team. Edmonton is just like you.”

A win over the Eskimos would help keep alive the Lions’ hopes of finishing second in the West and hosting a playoff game. There’s also a chance the Lions can slip to fourth and play in a cross-over playoff game in the East.

“Hopefully we can keep getting wins,” said Smith. “If not, we are still in the playoffs and a threat to a lot of teams.”

Lions’ linebacker Solomon Elimimian also has a chance to make history Saturday. Elimimian needs just six tackles to break the single-season record of 130 set by Edmonton’s J.C. Sherritt in 2012.

“I probably won’t appreciate it until later on in my life,” Elimimian said about setting a record. “It symbolizes the hard work, the commitment I put in.”

Smith has travelled a long and twisted road during his career. After playing college football at Oklahoma State he was signed by the NFL Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

Over the next eight years he would play on nine different teams in the NFL, the Arena Football League and the Continental Indoor Football League. Smith finally signed as a free agent with the Lions in July of 2011 and would help BC win the Grey Cup.

“I’m a journeyman,” Smith said, explaining his football odyssey.

“I love the game. I have a family to feed.”

On the field Smith combines explosive speed with strength. He can beat a lineman to a hole or overpower them on a rush.

“He loves the game and works hard,” said Elimimian.

“He’s matured. He appreciates the game. His work ethic is second to none. He works hard and he wants to be better. That’s what you love about him.”

After the win over Winnipeg, Smith was presented with a game ball by head coach Mike Benevides.

“He’s one of the best pros I have ever been around,” said Benevides. “He’s ultra-focused.”

“He’s a game changer. He makes plays, he brings an attitude. He doesn’t say much but he brings a heavy, heavy hit. He’s one of the toughest guys out there. He is very emotional.”

Talk to any of his Lions teammates and eventually they tell the story about Smith losing his teeth.

During his first season in the CFL Smith proudly wore gold front teeth. During the Grey Cup win over Winnipeg, Smith’s helmet was knocked off and he was head-butted in the face, resulting in the loss of several teeth, including the gold bridgework.

Smith never found the gold teeth. The replacements were white.

“It was time to grow up and go with the pearly whites,” he said with a laugh.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Underrated by some. Not by me.

Hard working. Hard to block. Overpowers some O Linemen. Gets by others with some moves. Hard tackler. Nice to see the "breakout" game.
The massive BC Lions defensive end can be laid back and quick to laugh. He also has a short fuse which has resulted in him mixing it up on the football field with opponents and even his own teammates.

An example of the extremes in Smith’s life can partially be explained by some of his offseason employment. Smith has worked both as a pre-school substitute teacher and a bouncer at strip clubs back in Miami.

“I like kids,” Smith said flashing a genuine smile. “I like working with kids.”

Being a bouncer also has its advantages.

“You get more money,” Smith explained. “And you are around beautiful women.”

“You just stay at the door and look mean.”
At 35 years old, and playing in his fourth CFL season, Smith is having his best year. With two games remaining he already has a career high 46 tackles and 11 sacks.
“It was the right calls, the defensive backs helping you out,” Smith said about his rampage. “We all worked together but you don’t think you are going to get four or five sacks.”

“Everything has to work perfectly. Sometimes it’s a busted play, you just have to capitalize on it. That’s what you want, that’s what you visualize, but until it happens you don’t really know.”
The performance earned the six-foot-three, 270-pound native of St. James, Jamaica, the CFL defensive player of the week award.

“It means a lot,” Smith acknowledged. “A lot of hard work.”

“Being here four years (I never) really got any kind of ‘good job.’ That’s appreciative, very humbling. I’m thankful at the same time.”
Well, good job. More than that. Excellent job. Very consistent. :thup:
Smith has travelled a long and twisted road during his career. After playing college football at Oklahoma State he was signed by the NFL Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

Over the next eight years he would play on nine different teams in the NFL, the Arena Football League and the Continental Indoor Football League. Smith finally signed as a free agent with the Lions in July of 2011 and would help BC win the Grey Cup.

“I’m a journeyman,” Smith said, explaining his football odyssey.

“I love the game. I have a family to feed.”
“He loves the game and works hard,” said Elimimian.

“He’s matured. He appreciates the game. His work ethic is second to none. He works hard and he wants to be better. That’s what you love about him.”
After the win over Winnipeg, Smith was presented with a game ball by head coach Mike Benevides.

“He’s one of the best pros I have ever been around,” said Benevides. “He’s ultra-focused.”

“He’s a game changer. He makes plays, he brings an attitude. He doesn’t say much but he brings a heavy, heavy hit. He’s one of the toughest guys out there. He is very emotional.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
leo4life
All Star

A true unsung hero for the Lions D for the last few seasons.Will he be back next season??
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good piece, WCJ, thanks for posting. Read a bit about how he's working with Menard on our D-line in todays Province. Weird how you don't hear about guys and then there are lots of stories about them.....

Based on that Province article, IIRC, Smith got his four sacks on an 7 or 8 play stretch according to Steve Daniel(CFL's superstar Stat-man), which I found amazing!
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Good piece, WCJ, thanks for posting. Read a bit about how he's working with Menard on our D-line in todays Province. Weird how you don't hear about guys and then there are lots of stories about them.....

Based on that Province article, IIRC, Smith got his four sacks on an 7 or 8 play stretch according to Steve Daniel(CFL's superstar Stat-man), which I found amazing!
Okay, I am going to put it out there on Smith's performance this past week. His sacks never really look comfortable confident, they happen, but you expect more impact when he is making initial contact. His sacks seem to come after an awkward pulling down on his part. Certainly not anywhere near the impact on the QB that Cameron Wake had, or Bazzie does this season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Met Khreem Smith and Angus Reid at a Lions' reception two years ago. Recognized Reid but apologize to Smith that I don't recognize you. Smith smiled and said "I'm a nobody" :wink: He is a really laid back dude.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Okay, I am going to put it out there on Smith's performance this past week. His sacks never really look comfortable confident, they happen, but you expect more impact when he is making initial contact. His sacks seem to come after an awkward pulling down on his part. Certainly not anywhere near the impact on the QB that Cameron Wake had, or Bazzie does this season.
There are no style points for sacks. Too many guys rush the QB out of control and then end up lying on the ground by themselves when the QB spins away. Smith has always impressed me with his discipline. He reads the play well, doesn't get fooled by play action, protects the edge and finishes plays when he gets the chance.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Rammer wrote:Okay, I am going to put it out there on Smith's performance this past week. His sacks never really look comfortable confident, they happen, but you expect more impact when he is making initial contact. His sacks seem to come after an awkward pulling down on his part. Certainly not anywhere near the impact on the QB that Cameron Wake had, or Bazzie does this season.
There are no style points for sacks. Too many guys rush the QB out of control and then end up lying on the ground by themselves when the QB spins away. Smith has always impressed me with his discipline. He reads the play well, doesn't get fooled by play action, protects the edge and finishes plays when he gets the chance.
Okay, I would say he would have another sack if he did wrap up with style in that game. He just doesn't and hasn't, it is always awkward looking.
pennw
Legend

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Okay, I would say he would have another sack if he did wrap up with style in that game. He just doesn't and hasn't, it is always awkward looking.
Smith is probably the reason we won that game , 4 sacks plus 8 tackles = major impact .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Smith is probably the reason we won that game , 4 sacks plus 8 tackles = major impact .
He was the recipient of good coverage, and containment by the entire DL. His end product was a reason that the Lions were able to win despite a C level effort on O once again.