Andrew Harris to have surgery ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As a fan, my heart goes out to Andrew Harris. I do not think I have ever seen an athlete play with such heart, courage and determination.

We did not give him enough help. Gang tackled constantly. Running into walls of defenders. I would suggest that an injury was just waiting to happen. I dared not speak it, nor even think it. And yet there it is.

One of my all time favourite players. :thup:

I still believe his talent is underrated, despite his great achievements here.

Best wishes on a full recovery, Andrew.

And to Bryan Burnham also. A wicked hit he took to the midsection. Dangerous hit, like landing on a spike. A speedy recovery is expected I believe. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tough break for Burnham. Impressive in his first two starts now gone for the season.
Blitz
Team Captain

Vancouver Sun just announced Harris gone for remainder of season, Burnham on six game injured list.
VANCOUVER — B.C. Lions running back Andrew Harris will miss the rest of the CFL regular season with a dislocated left ankle.

The Lions said Harris will undergo surgery Tuesday. He has been placed on the club's six-game injured list.

Harris was hurt in the fourth quarter of the Lions' 14-7 loss in Calgary on Saturday. He was in obvious discomfort after being hit and needed assistance to leave the field.

Harris, a Winnipeg native, is the Lions' leading rusher this season with 652 yards and two touchdowns.

The Lions also announced that receiver Bryan Burnham has been placed on the six-game injured list with a lacerated spleen.

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

I must be alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I thought the hit on Bryan Burnham was a very bad hit. Even looking at replay, to me it looked like the defender lowered his helmet and went straight into the rib cage. I knew instantly he was out the rest of the night at least. Opinions anyone?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions Fan in SK wrote:I must be alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I thought the hit on Bryan Burnham was a very bad hit. Even looking at replay, to me it looked like the defender lowered his helmet and went straight into the rib cage. I knew instantly he was out the rest of the night at least. Opinions anyone?
Good observation. Seems to be a head shot that wasn't called. (so what else is new ?)
jmc24
Rookie

I had no problem with the hit. He doesn't lead at all with his helmet. He turns his head and drives his shoulder into Burnham. Too bad he's hurt , but a good clean hit.
jmc24
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Lions Fan in SK wrote:I must be alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I thought the hit on Bryan Burnham was a very bad hit. Even looking at replay, to me it looked like the defender lowered his helmet and went straight into the rib cage. I knew instantly he was out the rest of the night at least. Opinions anyone?
Good observation. Seems to be a head shot that wasn't called. (so what else is new ?)
Not a head shot whatsoever...He injured his spleen. Have a look at the replay. CFL refs are BRUTAL , but this is a good clean hit... It's football.
David
Team Captain

I apportion more blame on the quarterback for that suicide pass that left him stretched out and vulnerable with 2 defenders closing in. I feared a concussion which, frankly, could have been worse than a slightly lacerated spleen.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
I apportion more blame on the quarterback for that suicide pass that left him stretched out and vulnerable with 2 defenders closing in. I feared a concussion which, frankly, could have been worse than a slightly lacerated spleen.

Yes, I blame the QB for that pass. Even if the pass wasn't high, Glenn was leading Burnham right into a defender.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The heart of a champion ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

The dislocated ankle means that not only was their a tearing of the connective tissue from the ankle joint but that the bones were displaced. Often a dislocated ankle is just rehabbed. The fact that Harris is getting surgery indicated how serious the injury is and that it needed to be stabilized. Lots of rehab ahead for Harris after the surgery.

The ankles are so important to a running back due to their need to make sharp cuts while carrying the football. Hoping for a full recovery and a continued successful future for Andrew.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:

I agree 100%
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:The dislocated ankle means that not only was their a tearing of the connective tissue from the ankle joint but that the bones were displaced. Often a dislocated ankle is just rehabbed. The fact that Harris is getting surgery indicated how serious the injury is and that it needed to be stabilized. Lots of rehab ahead for Harris after the surgery.

The ankles are so important to a running back due to their need to make sharp cuts while carrying the football. Hoping for a full recovery and a continued successful future for Andrew.

Yep, when I first heard that it was a dislocation, I was hoping that it was just the connective tissue, bone displacement often needs to be relocated with metal attached, and all of this means time, inflammation, scar tissue and lots and lots of rehab. The angle of the bones is crucial for the ankle to function properly. I had this in my right ankle, and we decided no metal rods, which allowed me to play 2 months later, heavily tapped, but long term, I have issues with that ankle. So much so, that while walking on beaches with an angle, I can go one direction perfectly but the other in a lot of discomfort! Surgery is the safesty play for Andrew and his ankle but it just takes a lot of time!

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:As a fan, my heart goes out to Andrew Harris. I do not think I have ever seen an athlete play with such heart, courage and determination.

We did not give him enough help. Gang tackled constantly. Running into walls of defenders. I would suggest that an injury was just waiting to happen. I dared not speak it, nor even think it. And yet there it is.

One of my all time favourite players. :thup:

I still believe his talent is underrated, despite his great achievements here.

Best wishes on a full recovery, Andrew.

And to Bryan Burnham also. A wicked hit he took to the midsection. Dangerous hit, like landing on a spike. A speedy recovery is expected I believe. :thup:

Thanks Joe, I could not have said it any better!!!

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What scares me is what I learned on another thread here..... Coach B. said 'he'll be back later this week' but he was referring to the fact Burnham is STILL IN HOSPITAL in Calgary. So, coming back means landing on terra firma in BC. Thankfully that Doctor listened to his patient and realized something was wrong...... :dizzy: