canucks opening night same as lions vs ottawa

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

Who in the world was thinking of having a lions game opening night for the canucks , we all know that is hockey day/night in Vancouver ,
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Who in the world was thinking of having a lions game opening night for the canucks , we all know that is hockey day/night in Vancouver ,
CFL sked comes out first in the scheduling cycle; Lions can't control that.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Who in the world was thinking of having a lions game opening night for the canucks , we all know that is hockey day/night in Vancouver ,

Ok I will go with that
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
The Lions don't have to be afraid of going head to head with the Canucks. They have different fan bases. I'm just glad I have a season parking pass across from B.C. Place and Rogers Arena.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
The Lions don't have to be afraid of going head to head with the Canucks. They have different fan bases. I'm just glad I have a season parking pass across from B.C. Place and Rogers Arena.
I would agree that there's not much overlap in the ticketbuying portions of the two teams' fanbases, but where I think this might impact the Lions is if they play at home while the Canucks are on tv, whether home or away. But as I said the Lions can't control this since the NHL typically doesn't release their schedule until CFL preseason has already started, so no point worrying about it. Conflicts are going to happen; we might as well complain that water is wet.

The Canucks have a matinee road game in Detroit the same day as the Grey Cup (11aPT start so it'll wrap well before GC kickoff). They also play at home at 7pPT on the evening of the WF a week earlier, which, to the extent that it would even be a concern to the Lions in the first place, is looking less and less so with each passing week.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the Canucks are on their game that night there is a very good possibility they will score more than the Lions.
dupsdell1
Champion

The Lions do not have to worry hosting the WF unless a miracle happens Calgary losses all the rest of there games and the lions run the table and go 12-6, with Edmonton Sask and Winnipeg losing also.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:The Lions do not have to worry hosting the WF unless a miracle happens Calgary losses all the rest of there games and the lions run the table and go 12-6, with Edmonton Sask and Winnipeg losing also.
Agreed, as I said.
to the extent that it would even be a concern to the Lions in the first place, is looking less and less so with each passing week.
... although technically, if Cgy & BC both finished 12-6, we'd get first that way too, by virtue of having beaten them in the final week to claim the head-to-head tiebreaker that is currently deadlocked. As long as everyone else finished below us. In short, we're looking at a playoff road trip if we have any designs on a championship. Which is also looking less and less a concern with each passing week.

Also, with eastern teams having accumulated some wins in the last few weeks, it's starting to look as though there's a chance that the crossover — which once looked an absolute certainty and has for weeks been widely regarded as the "easy" road to the Grey Cup — might not actually happen. Even if it does, it's not clear that it's all so "easy" anymore. Certainly we've had our share of struggles against all of the top three eastern teams (and arguably even Ott for that matter) and have lost decisively to two of them. Mtl has a bye next week but if the improved Argos beat Edm in their first home game in over a month and we lose on our trip to Ham where the Ticats remain undefeated so far in their new home, we can start having this conversation.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:If the Canucks are on their game that night there is a very good possibility they will score more than the Lions.
:rotf: but will they have a defence anywhere near as good as the Lions? :wink:
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:The Lions do not have to worry hosting the WF unless a miracle happens Calgary losses all the rest of there games and the lions run the table and go 12-6, with Edmonton Sask and Winnipeg losing also.
Agreed, as I said.
to the extent that it would even be a concern to the Lions in the first place, is looking less and less so with each passing week.
... although technically, if Cgy & BC both finished 12-6, we'd get first that way too, by virtue of having beaten them in the final week to claim the head-to-head tiebreaker that is currently deadlocked. As long as everyone else finished below us. In short, we're looking at a playoff road trip if we have any designs on a championship. Which is also looking less and less a concern with each passing week.

Also, with eastern teams having accumulated some wins in the last few weeks, it's starting to look as though there's a chance that the crossover — which once looked an absolute certainty and has for weeks been widely regarded as the "easy" road to the Grey Cup — might not actually happen. Even if it does, it's not clear that it's all so "easy" anymore. Certainly we've had our share of struggles against all of the top three eastern teams (and arguably even Ott for that matter) and have lost decisively to two of them. Mtl has a bye next week but if the improved Argos beat Edm in their first home game in over a month and we lose on our trip to Ham where the Ticats remain undefeated so far in their new home, we can start having this conversation.

Yes the way the lions offense is there is no way they are going to host a playoff game to many injury's , not a good enough quarterback,
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Agreed, as I said.

Yes the way the lions offense is there is no way they are going to host a playoff game to many injury's , not a good enough quarterback,
I concur. Maybe the Lions management has come to the realization that this is the case because season ticket renewals have gone out and not a peep about playoff tickets.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:technically, if Cgy & BC both finished 12-6, we'd get first that way too, by virtue of having beaten them in the final week to claim the head-to-head tiebreaker that is currently deadlocked. As long as everyone else finished below us. In short, we're looking at a playoff road trip if we have any designs on a championship. Which is also looking less and less a concern with each passing week.

I concur. Maybe the Lions management has come to the realization that this is the case because season ticket renewals have gone out and not a peep about playoff tickets.
Speaking strictly from an off-field POV, a home playoff game would almost be a worst case scenario. We already have the Grey Cup as a cannibalising effect on playoff ticket sales, and even that game has yet to sell out (9k seats remaining last I heard). If we do get a playoff game it will in all likelihood be the WSF, which in the best of times is a harder sell than the WF, and has a week less lead time to sell tickets. The way we're going on the field, if we do manage to clinch 2nd it would probably not happen until the last week of season and would cut the sales lead time to an absolute minimum — I think we'd be lucky to get 25k.
Bobbyp
Champion

Coming from Kelowna for the Ottawa game first one this year. :yahoo:
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
dupsdell1
Champion

Bobbyp wrote:Coming from Kelowna for the Ottawa game first one this year. :yahoo:

Nice

I remember I think when there was a WF here in 2007 one fan went to one period at the canuck game, one quarter to the lions game and caught the last period at the giants game.

Imagine that ticket bill.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
All the same, it's super douchy and tone deaf.