Lions 26 - Bombers 9 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ryanthekiwi
prospect

sj-roc wrote:
aklawitter wrote:If that return was 100+ yards...

Get the call right.

Big Point, as it made Winnipeg require a converted TD and FG to tie instead of win.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting the call right, but that's the officials' job. Let the officials officiate and game ops... I dunno, keep inundating us with pleas to MUH-MUH-MAKE SOME NOI-OISE.

As for the rouge, it was far too early (still Q3) to get into hypotheticals over that. If it were say, after the 3MW, and up 9 as it was (15-6) I might see the merit in taking the single. Besides, if MB really wanted that point he could have challenged for it, but didn't.
Agreed that the Game Ops people were poor this game. If the individual operating the scoreboard does not understand that it favoured the Lions to let the call on the field stand how can we expect the majority of fans to? There was no replay provided of the Winnipeg fumble and subsequent BC recover in the first half either which was disappointing.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

On the post game radio show Harris said that the 250 yard objective was done to get the Bombers focused on stopping the run so the Lions could have greater success passing the ball. Glenn was 14/15 in the first half so I guess the strategy worked.

In the 3rd Q the Bombers made some adjustments and give them some credit, they won that Q. But in the 4th Q when the game was on the line Harris and the running game were the difference.

Valli in the post game show said that they simplified the blocking schemes for the game and in the 4th Q made the blocking assignments even simpler. He went on to say that when there is less thinking involved they get on their blocks quicker. So it looks like Dorazio finally figured out or was told to do what posters here have been saying for weeks...KISS.

This is sort of like a repeat of last season where the running game wasn't working under Dorazio's complex blocking schemes, so late in the year blocking schemes are simplified with resulting success. This idiotic returning to what you prefer rather than what works is what got Chaps fired last year and Dorazio is headed in the same direction imo.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: Valli in the post game show said that they simplified the blocking schemes for the game and in the 4th Q made the blocking assignments even simpler. He went on to say that when there is less thinking involved they get on their blocks quicker. So it looks like Dorazio finally figured out or was told to do what posters here have been saying for weeks...KISS.
Some have been saying it for years.

Angus speaking up really helps to bring the focus onto realities. There is a tendency for coaches to get caught up in detailed stuff, the kind that over-complicates the assignments and techniques. Paralysis by analysis. I've known basketball coaches that break down a player's shooting technique until the player feels like he can't hit the freaking backboard. Same in golf. Same in tennis. Can't go overboard on technique, or in football, assignments, brain work.

Will Dorazio slip back into mind-numbing, confidence-destroying, detail? Odds are ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote: At any rate it certainly didn't help to keep "helpfully" replaying it, IN SLOW MOTION WITH A BIG *frig* ARROW ON HIS FOOT NO LESS. All for a NOTHING single that cost us 27 yards of field position. If the officials miss the call that's their problem, don't do their job for them. Whose stadium is it anyway FFS?
That was truly epic. In all my years of going to Lions games or other sporting events on both sides of the border I have never seen a game where the inhouse broadcast actually used the telestrator to point out a possible missed call.

Wonder why the Lions attendance fluctuates the way it does? All you have to do is look at the number of neophyte fans who attend the games and do things that actually don't favour the home team. Usually it's trying to start the wave when the Lions are on offence. This time it was cheering to get a call overturned that took a rookie qb from underneath his goalposts to the 38 yard line for a single point that still made it a two possession game. Throw the Lions hired game ops person into that mix too. Truly remarkable and a little scary too.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The command centre did the review as it was a scoring play. It had zero to do with the Stadium or the teams involved. Granted Wpg's HC was sure smiling when it was called out of bounds as it gave them the ball at the 38.

The Lions are helter skelter this year on public messaging. President guaranteeing wins and Harris claiming they will get 250 yards running to make sure the Bombers shut down their run game. Only in Benevides land does this stuff happen.

The facts are the Lions need to be able to run the ball. Why would you want them focusing on the run? Why would a player even think their opponent is going to listen to them?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:The command centre did the review as it was a scoring play. It had zero to do with the Stadium or the teams involved. Granted Wpg's HC was sure smiling when it was called out of bounds as it gave them the ball at the 38.
My understanding is that only plays that result in SCORES by on-field ruling get the automatic review treatment. So this wouldn't apply here (the FG was missed, no score there; the ball carrier was deemed out of goal, no score there either). What about plays where the ball gets spotted down inside the 1-yard line? Are these ever AR'ed to determine if there were a missed TD or safety, as the case may be? I'm not aware that this is the standard MO.

At any rate it's pure amateur hour that game ops would undermine our own team like this. At least make O'Shea throw the flag if he wants the yards.
Last edited by sj-roc on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:That was a great defensive effort. To go two games without giving up a touchdown is an outstanding accomplishment. Led by Solomon Elimimian, the defence has given up just three touchdowns in five games, and they're getting better as the season goes along. Six of the Bombers' nine points tonight were the result of 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalties on the Lions.

The Lions lead the league in most defensive categories, including fewest yards and points allowed. They don't blitz much and they don't get a lot of pressure on the quarerback but they don't have to when they can play straight up and shut teams down.

There's often a tendency by fans to equate offensive success with team success, but that's not the case. Defence wins championships, with the Lions' 2006 and 2011 defences being great examples of that saying. This year's defence is as good as any in the league, and may be better than any of the Lions' Grey Cup-winning defences since 1964. The Lions don't need a lot of offence when they can hold opponents to an average of less than 18 points a game.

Offensively, Kevin Glenn has become a much more efficient quarterback as the season has gone along, and the running game came alive tonight in the second half when the Lions simplified their blocking scheme, allowing Harris and Logan to pile up yards on cutbacks. Simple, smash-mouth football is fun to watch.
Speaking of defence, I checked out stats on scoring against defences (as opposed to merely points against, which includes scoring by defences and special teams). From my reckoning we're tops in fewest offensive TDs allowed (which is how the numbers below are sorted), although Ssk — who still have a game in hand at this moment — have an overall edge due to the FG stat:

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:That episode REALLY ticked me off.

It was NOT an automatic review because there was no score as the play stood with the KR leaving the endzone as per the on-field ruling. .....
Thats what I felt too. If thats the standard there are lots of offensive plays that are ruled NO SCORE on the field, Central Command should review them now.

As for 'what if it had been a 100 yard return'? I bet Benevides would have thrown the flag. I'd love to ask him but IMO, I'd bet he'd have rather had the Bombers scrimmaging deep in the Bombers end than the single point....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bombers are really struggling now but heading into their FIRST BYE. Twelve weeks in and they get their first bye. If things keep on this track, their last bye won't matter because, IIRC, its the last week of the season. As things sit now, that gives them a week early to bag their bags but THERE IS STILL TONS of season to be played. As a Lions fan, I hope they are done but as a CFL fan, I hope this West divsion goes right down to the wire......

I didn't mind the game day host last night. I like the more laid-back style instead of TWENTY CUPS of EXPRESSO......

THe BBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCC chant had its best results. IMO, drop the computer graphics on the ribbons because CrazyP and Leo did a better job using signs. I remember this CHANT from my days listening to Lions games on the radion and IT SOUNDED AWESOME ON RADIO.......

I have to admit I was worried when I saw Proulx as the ref, he is my least favourite of the current roster of CFL officials but all in all I thought their game was okay.....
swervynmerv
Legend

Great effort by our defence last night. It is a pleasure to watch "Team 100" play. If the Lions were smart, they would market the heck out of that. "Team 100" shirts, ads etc. I know I'd buy one.

To me, our offence is still a concern. We finally scored a couple of offensive TD's last night but it was almost 3 games without scoring one!

BCFAN is right, Defence does win championships, but you still have to have an adequete offence. At times this year, the Lions offence has been downright inept and as I mentioned in the GDT, would be challenged to score against a BCJFL league team at times. I worry about a team that can't even score a TD against Ottawa and how they will fair against teams like Calgary, Riders and Edmonton, who posses good defences AND offences.

Valli's comments about simplifying the scheme is telling. With a backfield that includes Harris, Logan, and at times Brown. We should be capable of smashing the ball and getting good initial yardage on first downs which in turn opens things up on second down.

One thing I think we do lack on offence is a game-breaking reciever. Edmonton has Stamps/Bowman, the Riders have Smith/Dressler and the Stamps have Price. I would like to see us stretch the field more than we do. Even when we do get decent protection from the O-Line, we rarely go deep. I'd love to see Wally add a receiver by trade deadline. A guy like SJ Green comes to mind. Don't know if Montreal would let him go or what the cost would be, but a move like that could help the offence going foward in my opinion. I miss the good old days of seeing a 50 yard pass to a streaking Geroy into the endzone!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Speaking of defence, I checked out stats on scoring against defences (as opposed to merely points against, which includes scoring by defences and special teams). From my reckoning we're tops in fewest offensive TDs allowed (which is how the numbers below are sorted), although Ssk — who still have a game in hand at this moment — have an overall edge due to the FG stat:

Thats a neat chart, and according to it our defence is pretty stable in the Touchdown department, home/away but AT HOME they've allowed 10 EXTRA field goals......
peeby
Starter

On the issue of flucuating attendance, the Lions can count on my not renewing next year. The price has risen year after year and has not been matched by the entertainment value. Could be me, of course, but I was nearly asleep last night. Just simply not enough good plays on offence to merit sitting there for 3 hours or so. I feel a lot of the football has been boring this year. Think quite a number of people who were there with a free ticket would want to come back? Doubt it. The Calgary game appears to have been the one to watch. Lots of TDs, an old-time CFL comeback, etc.
Starting to think Chapdelaine and Stubler got bum raps, and that it might have been Dorazio who should have been shown the door. Entertainment in football requires some offence and that requires offensive lines, being my thinking there. Maybe getting too old to be a diehard fan of anything!!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Speaking of defence, I checked out stats on scoring against defences (as opposed to merely points against, which includes scoring by defences and special teams). From my reckoning we're tops in fewest offensive TDs allowed (which is how the numbers below are sorted), although Ssk — who still have a game in hand at this moment — have an overall edge due to the FG stat:

Thats a neat chart, and according to it our defence is pretty stable in the Touchdown department, home/away but AT HOME they've allowed 10 EXTRA field goals......
I was somewhat surprised by that, too; had to double check it. Part of it is that teams haven't all played the same number of home games (Ham/Tor, 4; Ssk/Ott, 5; everyone else has 6). While McCallum has been 17/19 at home, it turns out opposing kickers @BCP have converted on every FG attempt so far this year, some of which haven't been gimmes:

Sat Jun 28, Edm: 2/2; from 14, 42
Sat Jul 19, Mtl: 1/1; from 42
Fri Jul 25, Wpg: 5/5; from 19, 27, 33, 51, 49
Fri Aug 8, Ham: 5/5; from 14, 31, 32, 38, 40
Sun Aug 24, Ssk: 4/4; from 42, 12, 46, 48
Sat Sep 13, Wpg: 3/3; from 17, 42, 49

My analysis of the stats shows that the average starting position for these opponent drives culminating in FGs is their own 41.7, pretty decent. Throw in TDs and it's 43.4. Overall it's 38.1. For BC at home the respective numbers are 40.6, 45.6 and 37.3.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

A win is a win is a win. Congrats Lions.

A short work week, now it's on to the next big game: this Friday against Toronto.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Our O is still very hit and miss and of the 101 rushing yards, Harris got tonight, probably 40 of them came in the last drive in garbage time.
Harris was 13/101 on the night rushing. In Q4 it was 9/85 and 4/45 after our last score.