Final NFL Cuts Today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

The 32 NFL teams had to trim their rosters to their final 53 players today. This means that something on the order of 700 players have been released. Some will be signed by other NFL teams, and many will end up on practice rosters, but there will be many still looking for somewhere to play in 2014 when the dust has finally settled by, say, Monday.

A couple of notable former CFLers let go are former Ti-Cat Marcus Thigpen (released by the Dolphins) and former Bomber and CFL 2012 Outstanding Rookie Chris Matthews (released by the Seahawks).

Undoubtedly we'll see some of the released players coming to CFL clubs in the next week or two.
Dusty
Champion

Any Tackles of note?? Safety's??? I don't think we need receivers, but O and D Tackles could be useful additions..... Likely too early today, but the dust should settle in the next few days...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Michael Sam was one of the cuts

ST. LOUIS -- Not long after Michael Sam waved to an adoring crowd at Missouri's season opener, he looked down at his cellphone.

It was 3 p.m. CT, the deadline for NFL teams to pare rosters to 53 players. And the Rams coach was talking to the players who didn't make the cut.

He headed into the locker room. At some point, his phone rang with the bad news: He didn't make the cut.

Twenty others were cut by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday, all of them mere footnotes. For Sam, it meant a roadblock in his journey to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL roster.

Over and over, coach Jeff Fisher said, it was purely a football decision.

"I will tell you this: I was pulling for Mike," Fisher said. "I really was, and I don't say that very often. Mike came in here and did everything we asked him to do."

The seventh-round draft pick projected confidence while scrutinized at least as closely as Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel. He's been cheered by athletes and celebrities, denigrated by just a few.

In the end, the defensive end couldn't make a team stocked with pass rushers and lost out to undrafted Ethan Westbrooks, who proved more productive and more versatile.

Fisher believes Sam has an NFL future, and it still could be with the Rams. If he's not picked up by another team, he could land on the St. Louis practice squad.

"I can't go there right now," Fisher said. "Coaches don't talk about practice squads because we have to see what happens. We'll know better tomorrow afternoon."

Wherever he lands, Fisher said "there will be no challenge, no challenges whatsoever."

"He's not about drawing attention to himself," Fisher said. "He kept his head down and worked and you can't ask anything more out of any player for that matter."

On Twitter, roughly an hour after he was cut, Sam wrote "The most worthwhile things in life rarely come easy, this is a lesson I've always known. The journey continues."

He also thanked the Rams and city of St. Louis on Twitter, adding that he looks forward to a long and successful career.

Sam was introduced to the Missouri crowd in the end zone alongside defensive E.J. Gaines, a sixth-round pick who made the team. He blew a kiss and waved before returning to the sideline, then posed for a few pictures before starting to look at his phone, and then headed for the locker room.

Fisher personally delivered the news to the 20 others released in meetings Friday and Saturday, but didn't seem to mind that Sam was out of town, visiting his alma mater. The conversation was perfunctory, with plans for a face-to-face meeting on Sunday.

"He said 'Yes sir,' and he said, 'I understand.' He said, 'Thanks for the opportunity,' and I said, 'Mike, I'm looking forward to visiting with you tomorrow,' and he goes, 'I am, too."'

Sam was the SEC co-defensive player of the year at Missouri and had been projected as a mid-round draft pick. His stock fell after a poor combine showing not long after he came out as gay in February, and the Rams took him with the 249th overall pick out of 256.

He kissed his boyfriend as a national television audience looked on, and arrived brimming with confidence and with a quick retort for anyone who contended he was in the NFL only because he came out. Fisher was proud to have made the landmark pick, but made clear from the start that Sam would be judged on talent.

The cameras followed, but the extra attention did not seem to faze Sam or his teammates. Veteran defensive end Chris Long noted rosters are always made up of players from different backgrounds. Players said Sam was part of their family.

Sam shed weight before training camp to be faster for special teams duty, reporting at 257 pounds. But after the preseason opener, Fisher said he'd have to make the team based on defensive end play.

Sam came out publicly following his final season at Missouri, though he had told his teammates before it began. It was no distraction. Missouri tied the school record with 12 wins and won the SEC Eastern Division and Sam had 11 1-2 sacks.

Sam was lightly regarded out of Hitchcock, Texas, a town of about 7,000 along the Gulf Coast about 40 miles southeast of Houston. His first two years at Missouri, Sam backed up Aldon Smith and Jacquies Smith, both of whom are in the NFL.

From the start, teammates seemed to like having Sam around. His energy was infectious and, if there were problems, they stayed behind closed doors. Publicly, Sam was just another late-round pick trying to make the Rams, which, like other NFL teams, held sensitivity training early in camp. The Oprah Winfrey Network put off a planned documentary on Sam, saying it would allow him to focus on his dream.

At one point, Sam's Rams jersey was the No. 2 seller among rookies online, trailing only Cleveland's Johnny Manziel, and Sam was among just 10 draftees selected by the NFL to be featured on commemorative coins. Sam headed to the ESPY Awards to pick up the Arthur Ashe Courage award. He got a hug from Hall of Famer Jim Brown on his way to the stage and fought back tears throughout his speech.

He told the audience: "Great things can happen when you have the courage to be yourself."
David
Team Captain

Neil McEvoy has gone on record as saying that the club has been heavily scouting NFL camps, but with an eye towards auditioning guys for next year. He's happy with the import talent on this year's Lions and voiced skepticism that anyone could come in right away and play. While true, I don't know why you would issue a blanket statement effectively saying you're not trying to improve the club this year (remember Carl Kidd?). I would be looking to - at the very least - add depth to the defensive line, dime back / safety, and wide receiver positions.

BTW, I've read we have QB Terrelle Pryor on our neg list. I don't think he's leaving the NFL anytime soon, but it sure would be an interesting signing.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Former Ticat Chris Williams pretty much I suspect has lost of ton of cash if he had stayed with the Cats and took a better offer from them. He got hurt I think in TC but the Bears don't need him anyway it seems.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

Wally and Neil have already said this is a non-event. Sure they will bring guys in for a look ... but it more for next years TC .. unless they have injuries.

Agree, DT & O-line would be biggest need. Deep threat receiver which they have been trying to find forever as well.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:.

BTW, I've read we have QB Terrelle Pryor on our neg list. I don't think he's leaving the NFL anytime soon, but it sure would be an interesting signing.
No thanks. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with any consistency.

I'd love to see Sam in the CFL if he doesn't stick on anyone's Taxi Squad (and I think he will). I think he'd excel as a Defensive End up here.
South Pender
Legend

And re David Foucault:

Panthers surprised Canadian tackle by keeping him on 53
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT

Tackles who can actually play are a scarce commodity on the waiver wire.

So ones who even might be able to play get the benefit of the doubt.

The Panthers initially told Canadian product David Foucault they were going to cut him and bring him back to the practice squad. And that was enough to thrill the rookie who earned a camp invite after a tryout.

But according to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, the Panthers grew concerned that Foucault would be claimed off waivers, so they kept him on their 53-man roster.

“I talked with my family and my friends to say the good news — I’m on the team, on the practice squad,” Foucault said. “After like two hours I get this phone call, and I was so excited. I called my parents back, and they started to cry and yell. . . .

“[The Panthers] can make another decision. But right now, they gave me this good news and I’m very happy.”

The 6-foot-8, 305-pound Foucault was a top-five pick in the CFL Draft out of the University of Montreal. He is still extremely raw, and probably wouldn’t be active for some time. The practice squad is likely the best place for him, and he could end up there later if the Panthers claim someone off waivers.

But at the moment, he’s an NFL player.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Former Ticat Chris Williams pretty much I suspect has lost of ton of cash if he had stayed with the Cats and took a better offer from them. He got hurt I think in TC but the Bears don't need him anyway it seems.
Right. He had hamstring problems in the preseason and didn`t play much; he was cut from the Bears yesterday. Could go to the PR, I guess, but we might see him back in the CFL, although not necessarily with the Ti-Cats, given the messiness of his departure. Great speed (4.39), dangerous kick returner, but not sure he`d be ideal (at 5-7, 175) as a full-time receiver--kind of a shorter version of Kierrie Johnson.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:Former Ticat Chris Williams pretty much I suspect has lost of ton of cash if he had stayed with the Cats and took a better offer from them. He got hurt I think in TC but the Bears don't need him anyway it seems.
Strictly based on his existing Ti-Cat deal he was trying to get out of last year he came out ahead for 2013. His CFL deal called for CDN$48K. He made USD$60K sitting on New Orleans' PR for 10 games + another USD$6K on Chicago's PR for the final game of the season. The one thing I'm unsure of is under the terms of the arbitration that he is simply Hamilton property to be re-signed to a new deal if he returns this year or if he's bound to the terms of his old contract for the balance of 2014.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Chris Matthews goes to the Seahawks' practice squad today. I was hoping he'd make the team, but this is better than nothing--minimum of $102,000 for the whole season, but could be more (the team has discretion over this).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Strictly based on his existing Ti-Cat deal he was trying to get out of last year he came out ahead for 2013. His CFL deal called for CDN$48K. He made USD$60K sitting on New Orleans' PR for 10 games + another USD$6K on Chicago's PR for the final game of the season. The one thing I'm unsure of is under the terms of the arbitration that he is simply Hamilton property to be re-signed to a new deal if he returns this year or if he's bound to the terms of his old contract for the balance of 2014.
I'd not dispute your details as you study this stuff but I saw a TSN spec post that the Cats would have upped him big time (not sure if they would have but that would have changed the financial equation.

I'd love to see that guy in the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
Hambone wrote:
I'd not dispute your details as you study this stuff but I saw a TSN spec post that the Cats would have upped him big time (not sure if they would have but that would have changed the financial equation.

I'd love to see that guy in the CFL.
Hamilton offered to make Williams "one of the highest paid non-QB's in the CFL" last year, if he signed a one year extension. If Williams had honoured his contract in 2013 he would have made more in the CFL than he did in the NFL, including his $100k enticement from Chicago to leave the N.O. practice roster.

Williams also earned much more than his base $48k salary in 2012. I believe all players receive a $10k-$20k bonus for winning a MOP or being voted an All-Star (which Williams attained in 2012), as part of a standard CFL contract. Williams also earned playoff bonuses. So his 2012 salary was more like $70k-$75k, along with free health & dental care and a pension plan (along with free meals provided at every Ticat practice and team meeting). Not exactly starvation wages for 7 months work. :wink:

I'm sure Williams negotiated a salary increase as part of his contract extension which allowed him to leave for the NFL. His base salary would likely be of over $150k this year if he returned to the Ticats...much more than he'll earn spending all 16 games on a NFL PR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:Hamilton offered to make Williams "one of the highest paid non-QB's in the CFL" last year, if he signed a one year extension. If Williams had honoured his contract in 2013 he would have made more in the CFL than he did in the NFL, including his $100k enticement from Chicago to leave the N.O. practice roster.

Williams also earned much more than his base $48k salary in 2012. I believe all players receive a $10k-$20k bonus for winning a MOP or being voted an All-Star (which Williams attained in 2012), as part of a standard CFL contract. Williams also earned playoff bonuses. So his 2012 salary was more like $70k-$75k, along with free health & dental care and a pension plan (along with free meals provided at every Ticat practice and team meeting). Not exactly starvation wages for 7 months work. :wink:

I'm sure Williams negotiated a salary increase as part of his contract extension which allowed him to leave for the NFL. His base salary would likely be of over $150k this year if he returned to the Ticats...much more than he'll earn spending all 16 games on a NFL PR.
Regardless all that doesn't buy what guys like Williams really want and that's a chance to crack the NFL. You'd be hard pressed to find any CFL player down near minimum wage who wouldn't give a season of that up in a heartbeat just for the chance to make an NFL PR, never mind the 53 man roster. As for the an extension had he signed one in Hamilton he'd still be waiting for that NFL chance because he'd now be in the middle of his option year assuming the extension was only a 1+1.

Oh yeah. And you forget to mention he'd get to be taxed under Revenue Canada and Ontario's systems. :shock: :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

And I think the NFL's practice squads work the way ours do too. IOW, a Matthews type reciever gets hurt ANYWHERE, a team can claim him, whereby the Seahawks would have to activate him or lose him.... And he probably gets a chance to crack an NFL roster again during next years training camps. Like Dressler. IIRC, based on what I heard on todays broadcast, he's signed for the balance of the year. Is he going to take another crack at the NFL or does he want to settle down, up here?