Lions 33 - Argos 17 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tough defence by both teams.

Alex Bazzie. Smallish, but he totally fits the CFL game. We might find the NFL sniffing around, if he keeps it going. As his sack totals started to add up, I had thoughts of Cam Wake, and quickly put them to rest. But others have noted that as well. Very exciting player. The sacks and tackles for losses are no flukes.

Hunter Steward continues to show excellent footwork and balance, along with his strength.

Ronnie Yell. Very solid.

Khreem Smith and Eric Taylor. Solid veterans. Great leadership. Taylor and Mitchell providing great push and strength up the middle. Westerman also.

Mark W did a nice job preparing for Ricky Ray. The pressure from the front four was key. One blocker is going to have a hard time stopping Bazzie, who has great moves, speed and surprising strength for a smallish guy.

Logan provided what one would expect. Great running.

Tim Brown made some nice returns.

Gotta laugh at Marco's mouthpiece. Gold middle teeth. LOL

In the third Q, we started to take a lot of penalties.

Tim Brown. Excellent returns.

Trying too hard to get Lulay into the game, it seems to me. Disrupted some rhythm Glenn had going.

Great effort by our defence.

Offensive game planning left something to be desired. Very little passing game. 106 yards after 3Qs.

Steele another great running back, as they seem to be almost a dime a dozen. One goes down, along comes another.

Benny had the Belichick sweatshirt look going.

Solo all around the ball.

Q4 opens with a Ray TD pass. Ouch. 17-13 Argos. I can't really fault Yell. On an island on the corner. Just as tries to get a glance back at the QB. Great pass. Great catch.

C Taylor great catch and run. And then the Argos bring the heat. We were not ready for the blitz.

Money McCallum makes it 19-17 Lions. Set up by a great return by Brown, with a great block by Lee.

8 tackles for a loss on the season for Bazzie.

Gotta give credit to Mark W. D was ready for Ricky Ray.

Khari Jones? Nice running game. Passing game? Pass pro pretty good.

There we go. Big Manny. Shakes off a tackle. TD. "It isn't about me, but stay tuned for the Manny show." LOL

Loads of talent on this team.

Schmitt pounding the ball on kickoffs.

Logan huge run for 19 with 4 minutes left.

Nice play to Jackson to get the 1st down.

Pretty good drive to kill the clock.

Benny must be doing something right. We are now 5 and 3 after a terrible start to the season. Same for Dorazio. Well done, Guys.

Gheez. Almost a pick 6.

26-17 with two minutes left.

Pick 6 for Yell. Awesome.

Tired Argo team in the 4th Q.

13 penalties on the Lions. 3 on the Argos.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 14/24 208 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
S. LOGAN 5 49 0 18
E. ARCENEAUX 3 81 1 53
C. TAYLOR 2 51 0 39
E. JACKSON 2 13 0 10
S. GORE 1 7 0 7
M. IANNUZZI 1 7 0 7

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. LOGAN 17 132 1 31
T. BROWN 2 7 0 4
T. LULAY 1 4 0 4
S. GORE 1 2 0 2
J. BECK 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
T. WILLIAMS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

P. MCCALLUM
4/4 32 2/2 14

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. SCHMITT 9 44.3 343 52

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 10 169 16.9 70 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. SCHMITT 4 274 76 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 3 80 26.7 34 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. BAZZIE 7 1 0 0
S. ELIMIMIAN 7 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 3 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 3 0 0 0
C. PARKS 3 0 0 0
K. SMITH 2 1 0 0
T. LEE 2 0 0 1
T. WILLIAMS 2 0 0 1
R. YELL 2 0 0 0
K. MITCHELL 1 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 1 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. RAY 22/36 188 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
M. BRADWELL 5 33 0 10
C. STEELE 5 23 0 10
T. SINKFIELD 4 40 1 18
J. BARNES 3 27 0 20
J. JOHNSON 2 19 0 23
D. ADAMS 1 19 0 19
R. GILL 1 16 0 16
S. WATT 1 11 0 11

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. STEELE 10 46 0 16
J. JOHNSON 3 7 0 5
M. GALE 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
D. ADAMS 1 1 0 0
C. STEELE 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

S. WATERS
3/3 47 1/1 10

Punting NO AVG NET LG
S. WATERS 11 49.5 376 71

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. SMITH 6 56 9.3 14 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
S. WATERS 3 190 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. SINKFIELD 4 104 26.0 42 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. MOLDEN 8 0 0 0
S. HORTON 4 0 0 0
J. CARTER 4 0 0 0
J. GABRIEL 4 0 0 0
D. ANDERSON 4 0 0 0
S. EMRY 3 0 0 0
T. OKPALAUGO 2 2 0 0
L. HARRELL 2 0 0 0
B. UNDERWOOD 2 0 0 0
N. ROSAMONDA 1 1 0 0
A. WHITESIDE 1 0 0 0
R. GILL 1 0 0 0
G. JONES 1 0 0 0

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WCJ, are those statistics incomplete? The two late interceptions on Ray don't show up under his stats or those who made them (Yell and Williams?).

And who is this A. Larose who actually made a tackle?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Tough defence by both teams.

...Ronnie Yell. Very solid.

In the third Q, we started to take a lot of penalties.

....Trying too hard to get Lulay into the game, it seems to me. Disrupted some rhythm Glenn had going.

Great effort by our defence.

......13 penalties on the Lions. 3 on the Argos.

Good summary WCJ!!!

Yell was AWESOME, again, IMO. Has he missed a TACKLE? Probably but I've missed it (missed his miss :wink: ).
Hated the attempts to get Lulay into the game (except the last one). Those Lulay snaps looked like some of the Eastern roadtrips that had Lulay running for his life last season.... :dizzy:
Loved that Lions D. Gonna have to be loud for those guys next Sunday! Its a HUGE game. It would have been regardless but loser gets the basement all to themselves....
I winced as soon as I saw the Ref. Admitedly he's been in charge of some big wins pointspread-wise by the Lions but he's has a knack for calling these baffling calls. Unfortunately BOTH times he was right, IIRC, but they just seem baffling nonetheless. One was last season in the Bomber game were the Bombers were awarded the ball on a fumble due to interference by our O-line in recovering. So, IOW, we recovered the fumble but the Bombers were awarded the ball. I'll admit it was the right call, just don't remember seeing it called before. And of course tonight, Benevides challenges a possible pass interference and the Lions end up getting a chopblock penalty out of the deal :dizzy: Again, right call IMO, but he's my least favourite CFL ref.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This sets up a crucial divisional matchup next week at home against Ssk. Win it and we not only win the head-to-head season tiebreaker, we also leap over Ssk in the standings (and possibly over Wpg as well, pending the result of their Friday tilt with Mtl).

Four-pointer? No, it's a six-pointer.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

I really have to agree with Matty from the outset of the pre-game, that if you insert Lulay into the game you must do it when Glen's game is tanking, and put Travis totally into the driver's seat, not looking in the rear view mirror, where he will never get comfortable to focus or be effective

Accolades to all the game's Lions players...especially on defense who gave us a short field to play on all night long, and special teams who really were there in the clutch on both sides of the ball :thup: :thup: :thup:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Bennie must be doing something wrong too. I thought the Lulay insertion stuff was badly mishandled especially in the first quarter. Up 10-0 with a fumble recovery and starting on the 55, you put in a QB that hasn't played in almost a year? 2 and out and then from there the momentum started to swing the other way. I know that Lulay needs to get the rust off but timing!!!! You don't start fiddling with your chemistry when you have chance to really put the opposition in the hole in the first Q. Apparently the half time panel concurred.

And what was with that PI challenge on Ianuzzi? Not enough evidence???? The replay shows the Argo tugging at the jersey for 10 yards down the field. The player gets up with his jersey pulled under his shoulder pad and then to add salt to the wound, we get a penalty for a Chop block that isn't close to a chop block. Result, 2nd and 25 instead of a first down and midfield, we go out and then the ensuing drive by the Argo's results in a TD. I mean, refs miss things but does the command centre understand the difference between a cut block and chop block? If we had lost this game, I would have said it was because of these two ridiculous brain cramps by the coaches and the officials. Mistakes from the command centre are unforgivable.

But huge props to the Lions who overcame and came up with a massive victory. The west is so tight now that you couldn't give it a wedgie.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:...and then to add salt to the wound, we get a penalty for a Chop block that isn't close to a chop block. Result, 2nd and 25 instead of a first down and midfield, we go out and then the ensuing drive by the Argo's results in a TD. I mean, refs miss things but does the command centre understand the difference between a cut block and chop block? .....

I hear ya Sir P, but IMO, it was a chop block. It was called on the wrong guy (Fabien, IIRC). I was just stunned that it was called simply because the challenge was for PI. I obviously have to a better job of reading/understanding the :rules: because I'm finding I get :dizzy: BAFFLED at one major call a season. This will be the one for 2014. I will admit too that these 'confusing calls' end up being right, so its not the Zebras, its me. Consistency is my mantra with officiating so I guess its something we can expect to see called on other teams too :cool:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Good comments everyone...thanks so much Joe for this and your excellent insights...

The Lions have the best talent in the league near the midpoint of the season, even our S Ts are starting to come around, but the jury is still out on the coaching. We did some things better tonight, but for the most part we played a banged up CFL team that looked like they played 2 games in a week, and they did.

We won because Logan ran the ball very well behind a solid OLine. We won because our 2 DTs took up 3 men all game, kept our LBs free and kept man on man blocking outside. This meant that Bazzie, Smith and Sol could reek havoc and they did. So huge kudos to Mitchell and Taylor. Also to Yell and Williams for playing so well at new(isn) positions against a great QB. Both a real keepers long term in BC. We won because our S Ts FINALLY won a game long battle. Schmitt and McCallum were purrfect and return game was outstanding.

BUT, if we play this "soft" on both sides of the ball against healthier, rested teams, we are going to be right back in trouble. So take this win for what's its worth...one game. With our OLine and skilled position talent, Jones should be generating more first downs and TOP. With our D talent, Washington should be generating more turnovers...2 of the 3 we got tonight were late in the 4th Q against a dead tired and desperate team. Next week at home versus SSK, we need to have better O and D game plans if we are going to win, its really that simple. And honestly, until Jones figures out how to run this offence, Lulay is better served on the sidelines for now.

Finally, kudos to Wally, Benny and Dan Dorazio for CHANGING the OLINE blocking schemes back to mano e mano. We are big, strong and young on that line, and they are now doing a very good job, especially Steward at LT...what a find!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:One was last season in the Bomber game were the Bombers were awarded the ball on a fumble due to interference by our O-line in recovering. So, IOW, we recovered the fumble but the Bombers were awarded the ball. I'll admit it was the right call, just don't remember seeing it called before. And of course tonight, Benevides challenges a possible pass interference and the Lions end up getting a chopblock penalty out of the deal :dizzy: Again, right call IMO, but he's my least favourite CFL ref.
The rule for interference on a loose ball has been on the books for ages; it just doesn't get called very often. It's in my 1994 copy of Facts, Figures and Records and I'm not 100% sure but chances are it was not a new rule for that season.

I have a vague recollection of it getting called once in the mid-late 1990s but couldn't tell you much else about that incident (pretty sure it wasn't a Lions game). It was also called in another game earlier this season, in week 2, Ham @ Edm. It ended up not mattering, because while Ham interfered, Edm recovered the fumble anyway, so the application of the penalty to award possession to the non-offending team was redundant.

http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/12673 (click the play-by-play bar)

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

One other note, we are wasting the superior talent of Adam Bighill...I know our D is working "well" right now, but Bighill is a fast, skilled LB that needs to attack, and he simply being asked to do very little IMO.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:WCJ, are those statistics incomplete? The two late interceptions on Ray don't show up under his stats or those who made them (Yell and Williams?).

And who is this A. Larose who actually made a tackle?
They update a bit slowly, CML. Usually by game end, they are close to complete for the important stuff. By game end I am ready to post and shut down. Sometimes I might adjust the listed stats for what happened, but is not shown on cfl yet (300 yard game as the game ends, et cetera). Not gonna wait five minutes for the absolute final tallies, unless there is a game changer.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with the other posters that the insertion of Lulay into the game was badly mismanaged. You don't give a quarterback coming back from a serious injury playing time in the 1st quarter just because you're leading 10-0. That lead can vanish in a few plays and you've lost momentum. The correct time IMO is when you're trailing badly or leading by a large margin.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Not a steller job by HC Bene or OC Khari Jones. The Lulay reps were totally mishandled. The loss of momentum likely cost us points in the first half and could have been the difference between winning and losing if not for our outstanding defense.

Jones called a terrible game. Logan, Logan, Logan, and then a bit more Logan. Despite success going to Manny and CT the game plan hardly saw balls going to anyone not named Logan. Two many two and outs or short drives as the Argos made adjustments to slow down Logan. Luckily Logan was simply too talented to be shut down entirely, but the game plan had too many shades of The Chap "everyone knows exactly what I am about to call, so what?" for my liking. Jones needs to exploit some of the other talent we have on offense.

Defense was outstanding all around (other than some bad penalties by Williams). Great games by Yell and Lee. Feeling a lot better about the succession plan for our aging secondary. Sol-E, Bighill, and Bazzie all had monster games. Speaking of penalties, a typical piss poor job by Andre "worst crew" Prioux.