CBC cuts ties with Mark Lee, Steve Armitage

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

With the CBC's increasing irrelevance as a sports broadcaster, this move probably shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/08/ ... dget-cuts/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was surprised Armitage was still working. Neat that he still wants to even at seventy. I realize there is no AGE to retire but still he has had an admirable career.

CBC (and CBC Sports) were a big part of my TV watching a long time ago. I have to admit, I can not think of the last time I turned on CBC except to take in the odd hockey game (and that is rare).
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, they lost relevance so far as sport were concerned years ago. Tied in pretty much with the "why is government spending money on things like the broadcast rights to the Olympics" movement. Ultimately, the public wasn't content to let them spend the kinds of money they would have had to to remain relevant players in the game of rights acquisitions. I used to be a big fan of the CBC but truthfully, beyond the National, I barely watch it anymore. Sad thing is that with all the channels that we have access to now, it seems harder than ever to find quality stuff to watch. Scads of mind numbing reality shows that are anything but real, about people who I couldn't be less interested in and seem to have the collective IQ of a bag of weed killer.
Those who didn't think much of the CBC then have pretty much got their wish as the CBC is basically a bit player in many ways now. Don't know that our viewing has improved appreciably at the same time.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: Sad thing is that with all the channels that we have access to now, it seems harder than ever to find quality stuff to watch. Scads of mind numbing reality shows that are anything but real, about people who I couldn't be less interested in and seem to have the collective IQ of a bag of weed killer.
X2 Even the cooking channel don't have cooking shows. It's about those stupid contests.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I like Lee and would replace Rod Black with him tomorrow.

Never thought much of Armitage, and am surprised he's still collecting a paycheck.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:I like Lee and would replace Rod Black with him tomorrow.

Never thought much of Armitage, and am surprised he's still collecting a paycheck.
When I was in grade school, my mother used him as an example of how NOT to speak. "His grammar is terrible"- or something along those lines, she'd say.