Bombers @ BC, Friday, July 25, 2014 Preview and Depth Chart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Ed Tait in the Winnipeg Free Press ...
"That's the definitely the best feeling: knowing that even if I'm not at the spot yet, Drew knows I'm going to be there and he throws it anyway," said Moore. "That's what you see with the greats like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brett Favre... they throw the ball anticipating where the receiver is going to be every time. That's what I pride myself on: being in the right spot at the right time doing the right thing.

"The best chemistry I had I would probably say it was with (B.C. Lions QB Travis) Lulay. I played with Travis for three years. He knew where I was going to be. He's probably the best, if not the best quarterback I've ever played with... EXCLUDING Drew."
Nick Moore on Travis Lulay.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/irving-bomber ... -be-better
Irving: Bombers promising to be better

Posted: July 23, 2014 10:30 AM

Bob Irving
CFL.ca

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are back at work this week intent on ridding the Investors Group Field property of a lingering odor produced by last week's stinker against the Edmonton Eskimos.

Disturbed by his team's performance in the 26-3 loss to the Eskimos which he called "painful to watch" Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea said he was at least encouraged by how the players were accountable for their poor play.

With a couple days of reflection in the books, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were back in the film room, working out the kinks stemming from their 26-3 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos on Thursday.

According to O'Shea, the video sessions in the wake of the game were full of players confessing their sins, from poor tackling on defence to poor execution and assignment breakdowns on offence.

The Bombers didn't manage a first down until late in the second quarter, and quarterback Drew Willy said "I wasn't very good, I have to focus on basically doing what I'm supposed to do. Certain looks I have to be better with my eyes and better at seeing certain guys that are coming open."

Willy, who had his poorest game of the season completing only 14 of 27 passes for 180 yards, no touchdowns and one interception, added "we just need to move on and get ready for Friday's game in BC. It's another tough place to play, we need to be mentally and physically ready to go. We know it's going to be a challenge, we're looking forward to it, I think the guys have done a good job of putting the Edmonton game behind us and have moved on."

Defensive tackle Bryant Turner Jr. said "it's a game that we definitely learned from and as a defensive unit we weren't satisfied even though Edmonton didn't score an offensive touchdown. We give Edmonton quarterback Mike Reilly credit (Reilly constantly got out of jams rushing 10 times for 96 yards), but we have to work on better tackling and I feel like everyone was just depending on somebody else. We will learn from it. The loss is behind us, we have moved on already."

O'Shea was pleased with the energy and attitude of his players when they returned to practice on Monday. He told his players not to dwell on the loss to Edmonton and added "we need to just move on, concentrate on the type of work habits that got us to where we are, that effort, we need to see that effort all the time. You need to practice how you play."

Like a lot of coaches, O'Shea prefers to focus on each game as a single entity, and he doesn't spend a lot of time talking about the teams record. But in the bigger picture, and despite the humiliating home loss to Edmonton, the Blue Bombers have three wins and one loss after four games, a record that their loyal followers would have gladly embraced when the 2014 CFL season began.

The next 2 games will reveal more valuable information about this year's edition of the Blue Bombers. They are on the road in Vancouver Friday and then travel to Hamilton the following Thursday before returning to Investors Group Field on August 7th for the first of three showdowns with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not finding much in the media about the upcoming game. TSN, Sportsnet, cfl.ca.

The Bombers are somewhat unknown to me. Drew Willy? Good start to the year. O Line? RB? Nick Moore is there, and I just might expect him to play well against his former team. Defence? They used to get great pressure in previous years. O'Shea is a new coach. New GM.

The tone at our Lions' practice on Tuesday was good. Steward and Fabien look like a superb duo on the left side of the O Line: young, talented, confident. And big, especially Steward. Schmitt probably unavailable. McGarva out. I made an insider's report elsewhere on this site.

Here is Schultzie's take on the game from the other thread ...
Winnipeg at B.C.

Not a good game for the Bombers and you have to ask why. Now I don't think they were complacent as much as they let their guard down. They relaxed and became confident. Good football teams always have to play like they have to prove something to themselves or others. It is no different than any other competitive occupation. You take it for granted, you lose your competitive job. Yes, even mine. Does that mean against B.C. they win easy? Nope. The lions are better on offensive line and the defensive front seven is very good. On the road in BC place I like the Lions in a close game.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

He's probably the best, if not the best quarterback I've ever played with... EXCLUDING Drew."
Well, ok then.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
He's probably the best, if not the best quarterback I've ever played with... EXCLUDING Drew."
Well, ok then.
I think that the Moore/Willy is what he is talking about....
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth Chart ...

Hardy Tuliau backup NKL
Parker backup DB
a bit thin in the secondary

Of Hardrick, Player and Thorn as backup OL, I expect we just suit up two.

Go figure the depth chart at Nat wide receiver. Iannuzzi backed up by Poblah and Haidara.

Antwi has suited up for STs.

Will Brown suit up?

Schmitt off the list.

Image too small? Complain to management about pic restrictions? Fool around with the pic and scan re-size yourself. LOL

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Depth Chart ...

Hardy Tuliau backup NKL
Parker backup DB
a bit thin in the secondary

Of Hardrick, Player and Thorn as backup OL, I expect we just suit up two.

Go figure the depth chart at Nat wide receiver. Iannuzzi backed up by Poblah and Haidara.

Antwi has suited up for STs.

Will Brown suit up?

Schmitt off the list.

Image too small? Complain to management about pic restrictions? Fool around with the pic and scan re-size yourself. LOL
Thanks, WCJ. I appreciate the depth chart.

Iannuzzi gets a chance to reclaim his starter's spot from Poblah. Glenn has seldom targeted that position, no matter who is playing, but Iannuzzi has shown in the past that he can get open. He still has to prove that he can catch the ball consistently.

I hope Tim Brown gets a chance to return kicks and punts, allowing Logan to focus mainly on his RB duties. Brown is one of the best in the league, and the Lions' return game has been average at best.

I'm not sure what happend to Torri Williams but he is on the injured list. Hardy-Tuliau is almost guaranteed to make the 42-man roster as a backup and special teamer, since he's the only international player on the roster who can back up the secondary.
South Pender
Legend

Hadn't heard of this guy John Hardy-Tuliau until today (although the Lions roster lists him as being signed in May). So I looked him up and found some of the skinny on him in the link below. Not a strong contender as an NFL strong safety (the guy who lines up on the tight-end side in the American game) because of his size, I imagine (5-11, 182 in the draft scout report, although listed as 6-0, 185 on the Lions site). Seems to have pretty good speed (ran a 4.57 40) and good agility (with a 4.13 in the 20-yard shuffle). He played four years at Hawaii in the Mountain West Conference, a decent, but not quite top-end, football conference. His father played two years in the NFL for the Bears.

Guess we'll see whether he can play the Canadian game. Wouldn't it be great if he were the next Barron Miles!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=SS
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Hadn't heard of this guy John Hardy-Tuliau until today (although the Lions roster lists him as being signed in May). So I looked him up and found some of the skinny on him in the link below. Not a strong contender as an NFL strong safety (the guy who lines up on the tight-end side in the American game) because of his size, I imagine (5-11, 182 in the draft scout report, although listed as 6-0, 185 on the Lions site). Seems to have pretty good speed (ran a 4.57 40) and good agility (with a 4.13 in the 20-yard shuffle). He played four years at Hawaii in the Mountain West Conference, a decent, but not quite top-end, football conference. His father played two years in the NFL for the Bears.

Guess we'll see whether he can play the Canadian game. Wouldn't it be great if he were the next Barron Miles!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=SS
Hardy Tuliau turned a lot of heads (including mine) at camp and in preseason but was buried in a deep pool of linebackers/DBs. He started fourth on the depth chart at nickelback. Josh Johnson started third. They're the only players remaining at that position. Hardy-Tuliau is now listed at halfback but I haven't seen him practise at the position. Torri Williams, who got reps at safety and at nickel and dime back in the first four games, is out so we'll see if Hardy-Tuliau has the versatility and cover skills to back up several positions.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Kahreem Smith was the player fined for a pre-MTL game punch.

Benevides said the CFL got it right but I'd have liked to hear the HC make a more declarative statement that this is not going to be tolerated in his team.

When you've got an over emotional HC it flows to players. Make a strong statement that the BC Lions play tough between the lines and the whistle - not pre-game in purse swinging incidents.

I am a bit shocked that any Lion player would do something like that. Apparently it was on tape.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Kahreem Smith was the player fined for a pre-MTL game punch.

Benevides said the CFL got it right but I'd have liked to hear the HC make a more declarative statement that this is not going to be tolerated in his team.

When you've got an over emotional HC it flows to players. Make a strong statement that the BC Lions play tough between the lines and the whistle - not pre-game in purse swinging incidents.

I am a bit shocked that any Lion player would do something like that. Apparently it was on tape.
Personally I tend to agree with your statement, however the Lions did bring the emotion into play with great results, whereas that focus was lacking in the Lion losses.
Entertainment value = an all time low