Khalif Mitchell back with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, the Mitchell signing marks the end of the rebuilding of the defensive line, not the beginning.
In bringing Mitchell back, Buono said the Lions have formally closed the door on two other free agent linemen on the club’s radar, Keron Williams and Ted Laurent. Mitchell will also free up teammate Eric Taylor, who was often double-teamed last year, and the Lions will be less reliant on third-year non-import Jabar Westerman, who is going into his option year.
Province article

Unless Brandon Jordan or a rookie phenom stands out in preseason, the starting DL will be Chris Wilson, Eric Taylor, Mitchell and Khreem Smith, with Westerman and Jermaine Reid in the rotation.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, the Mitchell signing marks the end of the rebuilding of the defensive line, not the beginning.
In bringing Mitchell back, Buono said the Lions have formally closed the door on two other free agent linemen on the club’s radar, Keron Williams and Ted Laurent. Mitchell will also free up teammate Eric Taylor, who was often double-teamed last year, and the Lions will be less reliant on third-year non-import Jabar Westerman, who is going into his option year.
Province article

Unless Brandon Jordan or a rookie phenom stands out in preseason, the starting DL will be Chris Wilson, Eric Taylor, Mitchell and Khreem Smith, with Westerman and Jermaine Reid in the rotation.
Prior to the 2013 season Keron Williams was considered as an important piece of the defence as anyone. A poor season after the failed experiment at DT and he is considered expendable. Just bizzare how the free agency process has played out with him, starting with him being front in centre in the 2014 Grey Cup launch back in February. Doesn't help he switched agents at one point either.

But with Wilson and the aging Smith as starting DEs the jury is definitely out on whether they can provide enough pass rush. That is one very old defensive line.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for that info BCFAN...I believe strongly that if Wally thinks this is the group, we might just be in real trouble, as we don't really know what we are going to get from Mitchell. As for the DEs, yikes...that's all I can say.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks for that info BCFAN...I believe strongly that if Wally thinks this is the group, we might just be in real trouble, as we don't really know what we are going to get from Mitchell. As for the DEs, yikes...that's all I can say.
Yeah...exactamundo. My thoughts precisely. I don't understand what's going on with Keron--or Wally. Why has Wally "formally closed the door" on Keron and Ted Laurent or, for that matter, other possible upgrades on our incumbent D-linemen? This doesn't make sense to me. Mitchell's return is good news, but, in my opinion anyway, we don't have anything like a dominating D-line--and in particular a frightening pass rush--with the lineup reported by B.C.FAN. We need at least one new quick and tough DE, and two would be better. If true, this is disappointing news. Could Wally be going public with this to gain some advantage in negotiations with Keron or Ted Laurent?
David
Team Captain

If they're closing the door on Ted Laurent, that provides some insight to me on their draft plans. My guess is they'll try to nab Gill or Smith in the first round.

I am predicting a breakout year for Brandon Jordon. I love his speed and athleticism in the middle --- he's only going to get better. A bit concerned with the age of Smith (34 - turns 35 in July), Taylor (32) and Wilson (31). I am hopeful that they have found some strong rush end recruits at their mini-camps to push Wilson and Smith.

Wally was on TEAM radio today and didn't sound optimistic about Keron. Said he reached out to Keron some time ago and explained his situation - that he can't wait around for Keron to get back to him. He has to move on and sign other players and that's just what he's done today with Khalif.

I have to believe Keron was given some very bad advice. It's just a shame that he can't finish out his career here, where his wife is from and a budding career in graphic arts awaiting him. I mean really, how far apart could they have been on a veteran's contract coming off a sub-par year?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:If they're closing the door on Ted Laurent, that provides some insight to me on their draft plans. My guess is they'll try to nab Gill or Smith in the first round.

I am predicting a breakout year for Brandon Jordon. I love his speed and athleticism in the middle --- he's only going to get better. A bit concerned with the age of Taylor (34 - turns 35 in July), Smith (32) and Wilson (31). I am hopeful that they have found some strong rush end recruits at their mini-camps to push Wilson and Smith.

Wally was on TEAM radio today and didn't sound optimistic about Keron. Said he reached out to Keron some time ago and explained his situation - that he can't wait around for Keron to get back to him. He has to move on and sign other players and that's just what he's done today with Khalif.

I have to believe Keron was given some very bad advice. It's just a shame that he can't finish out his career here, where his wife is from and a budding career in graphic arts awaiting him. I mean really, how far apart could they have been on a veteran's contract coming off a sub-par year?

DH :cool:
I hope you're right about Jordan, but I didn't see much from him last season. And his body type (at least at his current 255 lbs., yet 6-5 height) suggests to me DE, rather than playing in the middle. I have Eric Taylor at 32, by the way--33 in December--not that it's that important; he is getting on as you note. And I don't see our problems at DE being solved in the CFL draft--at least for 2014. Maybe an import or two from one of the mini-camps, but I still don't understand giving up on Keron and Laurent.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We have an aging defensive line. Need to have some young prospects on the practice roster to develop and ready to step in.
aklawitter
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:According to LU, the Mitchell signing marks the end of the rebuilding of the defensive line, not the beginning.
Blast from the past. I do not agree with a D-Line that starts at age 29 and tops out at 35 (with the July 7th birthday of Khreem Smith).
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With less than a month to go before training camp starts I would have thought that Keron Williams would have signed with another team by now. So I'm guessing that he is asking for more $ than the Lions or the rest of the league is willing to pay. He may have painted himself into a corner from which there is no face saving way out, just eventually a money saving way for whichever team signs him.