Khalif Mitchell back with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
Hambone wrote:It gets me wondering if the NFL has an edict that they cannot work out any CFL players under contract, permission or not.
Well, I don't know just what his status was with the Bombers at the time, but Chris Matthews had no trouble getting worked out, and signed, by the Seahawks in February. Had the Bombers cut Matthews? That somehow doesn't seem likely. Or maybe his contract just ran out, and he chose to try the NFL before signing again in the CFL.
Matthews was a pending CFL FA entering this offseason. He signed with Seattle after becoming a FA. Weston Dressler was in the same boat but he was released by the Riders prior to hitting CFL free agency and prior to signing with KC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I think there's a little more to it than that. Foley had orally agreed to come to the Lions (as I noted). To some, that should be treated as one would a written agreement--although when it comes to football, this may well fall into the realm of ethics rather than the law. On the other hand, it has been suggested in this thread, that Wally might be inhibited from doing something that rewarded an unethical decision by a player--namely, that, despite the fact that Toronto had been left with the impression that if Khalif didn't make it in the NFL he would return to the Argos, he decided to come to the Lions because he didn't have a written agreement to return to T.O. Frankly, I don't know how Wally feels about this kind of thing, but one gets the sense that he's of high moral character. So, saying that the Argos did nothing wrong in signing Foley when he had orally committed to the Lions is probably correct from a legal standpoint, but not necessarily from an ethical one. Maybe there's no agreement about these things among CFL coaches, I don't know, but I think that it could be argued that enabling unethical behavior is itself unethical. My only point was that, since the Argos had demonstrated what some would consider dubious ethics in snatching Foley after his oral agreement to come to B.C., we (perhaps) shouldn't worry too much about what Toronto's expectations were re Khalif.
If Khalif's original assertion when dealt to Toronto that he wanted to stay as close to the west coast as possible for his business interests is genuine then I doubt he'd have promised to return to Toronto if nothing came of NFL tryouts. To do so would tie him to the Argos for a minimum 1 + 1 through the 2015 season. Releasing him this offseason may have been an agreement they came to when he threatened to not report after the trade last year. If he tried to retain him this year I think Barker knew Mitchell would be gone after this season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Mitchell signing is official:
Monday, May 5th, 2014
BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club today announced the signing of CFL All-Star defensive lineman Khalif Mitchell.

The former Lion and Toronto Argonaut who recently became a free agent returns to the club just over a year after being dealt to the East Division squad.

Last year, Mitchell enjoyed a standout season for the Double Blue posting 32 defensive tackles and a team-leading five sacks which earned him East Division and CFL All-Star kudos and came close to his career season with the Lions in 2011 when he notched 33 tackles and six sacks.

“As I have said in the past, championships are won at the line of scrimmage and signing Khalif who is one of the most dominant linemen in our league will greatly strengthen our defence,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “We’re confident that he is prepared to do whatever it takes to make us a championship organization on and off the field.”

Now entering his fifth CFL season, Mitchell has played 50 regular season games (33 with BC) recording 86 career tackles along with 13 sacks. The hulking defensive tackle has two CFL All-Star selections to his credit (2013, 2011) and also helped the Lions to a Grey Cup championship in 2011.

“It’s wonderful to be back in the city that I fell in love with four years ago,” said Mitchell. “I am excited to begin a new chapter with the Lions and do my part to help win a championship for this organization and our fans.”
bclions.com link with video
squishy35
Legend

Yay!!
South Pender
Legend

This is good news (I think)--at least from the playing-ability standpoint. Buono mentioned two things that stood out for me:

(a) "championships are won at the line of scrimmage," and

(b) “We’re confident that he is prepared to do whatever it takes to make us a championship organization on and off the field.” (bold italics mine)

I don't know whether(b) is a personal message to Khalif or to fans who may not want him back or both, but I think it had to be said.

I absolutely agree with (a), and, as far as I'm concerned, we're not quite there yet. I think we're questionable at the DE position, and hope Wally can get Keron back. In addition, I'd like to see one more big body--import or Ted Laurent--at D-tackle for training camp--someone to give Taylor competition. Some real competition at DE would be good too, as I haven't seen all-star performance from Chris Wilson since his return.

In any case, a good development re Khalif, I believe.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:This is good news (I think)--at least from the playing-ability standpoint. Buono mentioned two things that stood out for me:

(b) “We’re confident that he is prepared to do whatever it takes to make us a championship organization on and off the field.” (bold italics mine)

I don't know whether(b) is a personal message to Khalif or to fans who may not want him back or both, but I think it had to be said.

I absolutely agree with (a), and, as far as I'm concerned, we're not quite there yet. I think we're questionable at the DE position, and hope Wally can get Keron back. In addition, I'd like to see one more big body--import or Ted Laurent--at D-tackle for training camp--someone to give Taylor competition. Some real competition at DE would be good too, as I haven't seen all-star performance from Chris Wilson since his return.

SP, I agree...we need one more big body in the middle that can take up bodies...if that occurs, Mitchell will have a monster season and so will the LBs...our DEs are a big ? to me...Wilson wasn't great and its a position we are old at...Westerman is a good player and maybe his move outside will get him to another level. Championships are won by teams who control the LOS...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
South Pender wrote:This is good news (I think)--at least from the playing-ability standpoint. Buono mentioned two things that stood out for me:

SP, I agree...we need one more big body in the middle that can take up bodies...if that occurs, Mitchell will have a monster season and so will the LBs...our DEs are a big ? to me...Wilson wasn't great and its a position we are old at...Westerman is a good player and maybe his move outside will get him to another level. Championships are won by teams who control the LOS...
You guys forget how good a season that Taylor had without any help in the middle, I expect his game to go up significantly from there given the return of Mitchell. It certainly won't hurt to get younger at the position, but the middle of the line is as good as any in the CFL now. Welcome back to the family Mr Mitchell, time to bring it in orange and black once again.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:You guys forget how good a season that Taylor had without any help in the middle, I expect his game to go up significantly from there given the return of Mitchell. It certainly won't hurt to get younger at the position, but the middle of the line is as good as any in the CFL now. Welcome back to the family Mr Mitchell, time to bring it in orange and black once again.
Watching Taylor last year was an eye-opener for me. Maybe it was because Mitchell and Williams drew so much attention and accolades that they overshadowed Taylor. Last year I thought Taylor really stepped out of those shadows and had one helluva season. I found that I had really under-appreciated the play of Taylor prior to last year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:You guys forget how good a season that Taylor had without any help in the middle, I expect his game to go up significantly from there given the return of Mitchell. It certainly won't hurt to get younger at the position, but the middle of the line is as good as any in the CFL now. Welcome back to the family Mr Mitchell, time to bring it in orange and black once again.
Watching Taylor last year was an eye-opener for me. Maybe it was because Mitchell and Williams drew so much attention and accolades that they overshadowed Taylor. Last year I thought Taylor really stepped out of those shadows and had one helluva season. I found that I had really under-appreciated the play of Taylor prior to last year.
Agreed. Taylor was probably the team's best lineman last season despite having no one beside him to draw double teams. Chris Wilson and Khreem Smith seem to be pencilled in as starters at DE. It will be interesting to see whether Westerman, Doege or any new import whose signing has yet to be announced is able to challenge them. I see Adrian Awasom and Brandon Jordan, who were both acquired as defensive ends, are now listed on the roster at DT. That's a tough spot to crack the roster.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:

I've always thought that Taylor has a hell of a motor for a big guy and was often surprised by how far downfield his pursuit was.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes, I agree with those above praising Eric Taylor (Rammer, Hambone, BCFAN and DanoT). Been saying it for a while. Moves very well for a giant of a man. Solid as a rock.

Welcome back, Khalif. Well worth the second chance in Vancouver.

A force of nature at DT. His return is an amazing gift, a huge boost to our football hopes.
“It’s wonderful to be back in the city that I fell in love with four years ago,” said Mitchell. “I am excited to begin a new chapter with the Lions and do my part to help win a championship for this organization and our fans.”

"I have goosebumps."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

My comments weren't meant to imply criticism of Taylor's contributions last season; Rich Stubler did, after all, single him out for praise, saying that he had done a good job. However, part of our perception of Taylor's contributions last year is, in my opinion, attributable to the fact that he was the only guy on the D-line that I can recall playing decently at all; Keron was a bust in the middle, and Smith and Wilson were pretty ordinary. Taylor's 32 now, and although he may have another good year or two left, I think we need to be looking for talent for the interior of the D-line--a guy who can push Taylor this season, maybe surpass him, and be there to replace him when the time comes. There's just no reason for Wally not to bring in good import competition. We may not be desperate for another competent 3-tech guy, the way we were before Mitchell's signing, but we can certainly improve at that position.

Our most glaring need now, in my opinion, for the D is one or two good DEs (although safety has to remain a concern). If Keron Williams were to sign, we might need only one. I may well be wrong about this, but I don't have much confidence in either Smith or Wilson to really effectively anchor the D-line. One has to assume that Wally has brought in some import competition.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I will go on record by saying that I don't think Taylor had a great season and isn't a great DT. Last season was also a real eye opener for me watching Taylor...far too often he was taken up by one guy, allowing a interior OLineman to get out on our LBs RIGHT AWAY. The MOST important job of any DT is to get push up field, disrupt the offensive play, and force as many linemen as possible to help against him. Taylor didn't do that. If you look back on Taylor's season, it got BETTER as the season went on, because team's abandoned the notion of double teaming him...he spent the vast majority of the season facing single blocking...and this is where he as able to make some plays at the expense of our LBs getting eaten alive by 300 lb Olineman.

Sorry if that rains on anybody's parade...but I am just telling you what I saw, and I watched Taylor carefully. Mitchell, when he was here, was the guy taking up 2 or even 3 blockers allowing everyone around him to look good. But that actually shouldn't necessarily fall on Mitchell when he is so fast and lithe for a DT...Mitchell has finesse and skill, and can wrack up 10+ sacks inside IF we had a Ted Laurent playing next to him. Mark my words, if the lions go forward this season thinking that Taylor and Mitchell are going to be the guys, it will be a mistake. Taylor no longer has what it takes to demand a double team and that's what Mitchell and our DEs desperately need (also the LBs). And if you won't take my word for it, go back and watch ANY game against CGY and watch how the rookie 4th round pick at Centre ATE Taylor alive all season, mano e mano...and IMO that just cannot happen.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I've always thought that Taylor has a hell of a motor for a big guy and was often surprised by how far downfield his pursuit was.
You are biased due to the convenience of jersies.... :wink: (hope you had an awesome winter on the slopes!).

I am glad Mitchell is back simply because in spite of Taylor, our D-line just didn't seem to be getting enough pressure. I also think it is really unfair to tow the company line and switch positions ala Keron and then be penalized for it. Keron did well on the outside, let him play there.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to see Mitchell back in the Lions den.