Khalif Mitchell back with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Khalif was like Jekyll and Hyde. I think the Dr Jekyll part was genuinely liked by Lions players and coaching staff alike. It was when the Mr. Hyde raised his ugly head and started to overshadow Jekyll that the relationship soured. As such as long as he has the antibiotics to keep Mr. Hyde at bay I don't think anybody on the club nor the majority of the fans will have an issue with a return.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“Blame me at the end if it doesn’t work, I’m fine with that,” said Buono. “But sometimes you have to leave home to appreciate what you have. We’ve all said things we wish we could take back. From what I’ve been told and what I saw, he handled himself better.”

“I want to win but I don’t want to win at all costs,” Buono said. “If I wanted to win at all costs I would have signed Chad Johnson.”

lullrich@theprovince.com
Wally's first comments about Chad Johnson were rather neutral. This comment is rather pointed. I believe in second chances also. But when an organization has a campaign to stop violence against women, that organization can hardly bring in a player with legal issues in that area. As noted elsewhere, Chad Johnson may have trouble entering Canada. The Alouettes and Johnson will probably have to take steps in attempting to get him that permission.

With Khalif it seems more like an immaturity thing. Impulse control. But his actions at the time were unacceptable also.

Personally, I hope we sign Khalif. His behaviour seemed beyond reproach in Toronto. As noted by others, however, it is somewhat strange that Toronto seemed to allow his release quite readily.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Big Time
Champion

Second chance, short leash. I'll let his play on and off the field determine his future in BC. Wally has been a good judge of character over the years, so I'll take him at his word that he believes Khalif has changed. It's up to Khalif now (assuming he signs).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
“Blame me at the end if it doesn’t work, I’m fine with that,” said Buono. “But sometimes you have to leave home to appreciate what you have. We’ve all said things we wish we could take back. From what I’ve been told and what I saw, he handled himself better.”

“I want to win but I don’t want to win at all costs,” Buono said. “If I wanted to win at all costs I would have signed Chad Johnson.”

lullrich@theprovince.com
Wally's first comments about Chad Johnson were rather neutral. This comment is rather pointed. I believe in second chances also. But when an organization has a campaign to stop violence against women, that organization can hardly bring in a player with legal issues in that area. As noted elsewhere, Chad Johnson may have trouble entering Canada. The Alouettes and Johnson will probably have to take steps in attempting to get him that permission.

With Khalif it seems more like an immaturity thing. Impulse control. But his actions at the time were unacceptable also.

Personally, I hope we sign Khalif. His behaviour seemed beyond reproach in Toronto. As noted by others, however, it is somewhat strange that Toronto seemed to allow his release quite readily.

All good points, IMO, WCJ. A little surprising Wally would bring up Chad but it helps him make his point.
I too hope we get Mitchell back, especially if he turns out to be the answer (or a big part of it) to why our D-line floundered, IMO, a lot last season. I am also a little baffled that an asset would be allowed to go elsewhere but I guess thats the Argos problem, not BC's. I have to admit, I'd be a little steamed if the roles were reversed and it was our player who asked to be released to try the NFL and then signed with the Argos.....
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 20m

#BCLions & Khalif Mitchell are very close to a deal. I expect it to get done late tomorrow. #CFL
Lloyd
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 20m

#BCLions & Khalif Mitchell are very close to a deal. I expect it to get done late tomorrow. #CFL
Does this mean Cord Parks' playing rights revert back to the Argos? Kidding aside, this is one heck of a deal for BC given just how good Cord Parks turned out to be. Too bad the Argos aren't under the microscope like the Leafs/Raptors/Blue Jays as Barker should have some serious explaining to do.
Maybe the initial agreement when Mitchell went to TO was he would have an out clause to play somewhere else on either side of the border? But as an Argos fan I would be pretty ticked to lose a league all-star for nothing and an excellent DB to boot.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:

Does this mean Cord Parks' playing rights revert back to the Argos? Kidding aside, this is one heck of a deal for BC given just how good Cord Parks turned out to be. Too bad the Argos aren't under the microscope like the Leafs/Raptors/Blue Jays as Barker should have some serious explaining to do.
Maybe the initial agreement when Mitchell went to TO was he would have an out clause to play somewhere else on either side of the border? But as an Argos fan I would be pretty ticked to lose a league all-star for nothing and an excellent DB to boot.
I am sure that there will be some questions asked out loud, should the deal get done. But it makes sense now on why I retained my signature. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sounds good, lets just hope Mitchell can still play at that high level...moving the pocket is crucial if Washington's D is going to be successful.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

Yeah...this is encouraging--assuming he can keep his fat gob shut (and his fingers off the keyboard) when an offensive idea flits into his head. If he stays clean, behaviorwise, then this is great. Now, Wally needs to get Keron Williams and Ted Laurent into the fold too. At that point--if it arrives--I'll feel good about our chances in 2014. Could we please have a safety who can play too, or is that asking too much?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:

Given how Mitchell was originally balking at reporting to TO he may have been able to leverage a promise out of Barker to be released this offseason if he was getting NFL interest in exchange for Mitchell reporting for 2013. One thing I've noticed is how teams seem to release players still under contract so they can pursue NFL interest as opposed to simply giving them permission to workout. It gets me wondering if the NFL has an edict that they cannot work out any CFL players under contract, permission or not. Maybe Khalif did work out with a few teams but either wasn't offered a deal or couldn't come to terms. Regardless once these guys are released to try they are under no obligation to return. When Khalif was released he made no bones about the fact he did not want to play back east and was only interested in being as close to his west coast business interests as possible. Given his release he'd have to sign a new minimum 1+1 deal to return to Toronto tying him to the Argos through 2015. Even if the Argos hadn't released him he'd be entering his option year. For Barker it may have gotten down to knowing KM would be gone after this season at the latest so he might as well let him go to try for one last chance at the NFL. If he got a deal, good for him. If not and he signs elsewhere in the CFL so be it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:It gets me wondering if the NFL has an edict that they cannot work out any CFL players under contract, permission or not.
Well, I don't know just what his status was with the Bombers at the time, but Chris Matthews had no trouble getting worked out, and signed, by the Seahawks in February. Had the Bombers cut Matthews? That somehow doesn't seem likely. Or maybe his contract just ran out, and he chose to try the NFL before signing again in the CFL.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I see the pending Khalif's signing as a positive move to bolster the defensive line providing his past behaviour is behind him.
Ravi
Legend

South Pender wrote:
David wrote:I would welcome Khalif back with open arms as I like Khalif the person (and he's a pretty damn fine football player and fills an immediate need). However, and this is a big caveat, I have a problem - ethically - with signing him. It is my understanding that Jim Barker released him to try the NFL, not sign with another team (imagine the outrage on this board if Wally extended the same consideration to Cord Parks, who was then talking to the Argos about signing there?).

Now, Barker may have released him outright (doubtful) or there may have been a provision in the trade whereby if he's released to try the NFL, he's free to come back to BC (also doubtful).

DH :cool:
Well, of course, the Argos had no compunctions about signing Ricky Foley after he had orally accepted an offer here, so I doubt that I'll lose too much sleep over this if Khalif signs here. Or should we have higher standards than the rest of the league?
Foley hadn't signed on the dotted line so the Argos did nothing wrong. I don't have a problem with the Lions re-signing Mitchell. If the Argos had an agreement with Mitchell that he would go back to Toronto and he reneges, that is on him and not on B.C.
South Pender
Legend

Ravi wrote:
South Pender wrote:
David wrote:I would welcome Khalif back with open arms as I like Khalif the person (and he's a pretty damn fine football player and fills an immediate need). However, and this is a big caveat, I have a problem - ethically - with signing him. It is my understanding that Jim Barker released him to try the NFL, not sign with another team (imagine the outrage on this board if Wally extended the same consideration to Cord Parks, who was then talking to the Argos about signing there?).

Now, Barker may have released him outright (doubtful) or there may have been a provision in the trade whereby if he's released to try the NFL, he's free to come back to BC (also doubtful).

Well, of course, the Argos had no compunctions about signing Ricky Foley after he had orally accepted an offer here, so I doubt that I'll lose too much sleep over this if Khalif signs here. Or should we have higher standards than the rest of the league?
Foley hadn't signed on the dotted line so the Argos did nothing wrong. I don't have a problem with the Lions re-signing Mitchell. If the Argos had an agreement with Mitchell that he would go back to Toronto and he reneges, that is on him and not on B.C.
I think there's a little more to it than that. Foley had orally agreed to come to the Lions (as I noted). To some, that should be treated as one would a written agreement--although when it comes to football, this may well fall into the realm of ethics rather than the law. On the other hand, it has been suggested in this thread, that Wally might be inhibited from doing something that rewarded an unethical decision by a player--namely, that, despite the fact that Toronto had been left with the impression that if Khalif didn't make it in the NFL he would return to the Argos, he decided to come to the Lions because he didn't have a written agreement to return to T.O. Frankly, I don't know how Wally feels about this kind of thing, but one gets the sense that he's of high moral character. So, saying that the Argos did nothing wrong in signing Foley when he had orally committed to the Lions is probably correct from a legal standpoint, but not necessarily from an ethical one. Maybe there's no agreement about these things among CFL coaches, I don't know, but I think that it could be argued that enabling unethical behavior is itself unethical. My only point was that, since the Argos had demonstrated what some would consider dubious ethics in snatching Foley after his oral agreement to come to B.C., we (perhaps) shouldn't worry too much about what Toronto's expectations were re Khalif.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
South Pender wrote:

No nothing was done wrong according to the CFL rules, just on the man himself. Much like Casey Printers heading north to sign with the Als, only to end up signing with Hamilton during mid flight as IR, or Flory agreeing with the Riders, then reneging on it to get back with the Als. Some are men like Cameron Wake, who's agent wanted to get him out of his contract based on not being offered a 1 +1 contract, where Cameron stood up and said I signed the contract, I will honour it. Then some our boys that is evident on their verbal word not being worth the breath they use to utter the commitment.

Mitchell's case seems to be strange to me, but I can live with it thinking that it is the Foley for Mitchell trade that doesn't happen on paper, just makes amends for both teams in the end.
Entertainment value = an all time low