Another Good One Gone (for Now Anyway): Alex Hall

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Panthers sign CFL pass rusher Alex Hall
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 11, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

The Panthers have added a top CFL pass rusher with some NFL experience.

Alex Hall, who notched 15 sacks in 2013 for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, has signed with the Panthers, his new club said Friday.

Hall, 28, played two seasons with the Browns (2008-2009). He had stints with the Eagles, Cardinals and Giants in 2010. Overall, he’s notched 39 tackles and three sacks in regular season NFL play.

Hall (6-6, 256) played collegiately at Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh, North Carolina. He was a seventh-round pick of the Browns in 2008.

Hall was traded from Winnipeg to Saskatchewan in October 2013, and he played on Saskatchewan’s Grey Cup-winning club. He figures to be a defensive end in Carolina’s 4-3 scheme.

Strictly a back-up, I'd imagine. The Panthers already have a solid D-line. Will Ted Laurent be next?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another key loss for the Grey Cup Champions.
OV - 54:40
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Another key loss for the Grey Cup Champions.
Hall was maybe a nice pick-up by a Riders team loading-up for a GC run last year; but not sure he is such a "key loss" when the already have Chick & Foley at DE; Dressler, Sheets and Butler - OTOH - could be considered key losses.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for the update SP...I think that SSK always knew that Hall was going to be a "rental" and clearly it was worth it. But Hall doesn't figure to last overly long in the NFL, and if he chooses to come back to the CFL, SSK has given him a nice memory...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Hall was maybe a nice pick-up by a Riders team loading-up for a GC run last year; but not sure he is such a "key loss" when the already have Chick & Foley at DE; Dressler, Sheets and Butler - OTOH - could be considered key losses.
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but to be honest I didn't even notice Hall when he was with the Riders. Maybe his role was different but 31 tackles and 15 sacks in 13 games with the Bombers then 15 tackles and 1 sack in 7 games (including playoffs) with the Riders. Tackle numbers per game stayed about the same but sacks fell right off.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but to be honest I didn't even notice Hall when he was with the Riders. Maybe his role was different but 31 tackles and 15 sacks in 13 games with the Bombers then 15 tackles and 1 sack in 7 games (including playoffs) with the Riders. Tackle numbers per game stayed about the same but sacks fell right off.
Not surprising. New team, new scheme, and four other guys picking up the slack: Foley, Chick, and George each with 8 sacks, and Rey Williams with 7.