CBC Massive Job Cuts - No longer to bid on broadcast rights

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

CBC News Posted: Apr 10, 2014 12:30 PM ET

Link here

As many predicted when the CBC lost the broadcast rights for Hockey Night in Canada and a large piece of much needed revenue, the broadcaster has started to cut jobs and will reduce future sports broadcasts. Kind of a sad day in my mind. Say what you want about the CBC but at least it isn't solely concerned with commercial enterprise. It is also a Canadian icon in connection with hockey. A Canadian tradition as it were. Maybe just a bit of wistful reminiscence but somehow when you talking about hockey and the CBC, I have this image of family sitting in the living room clustered around the radio listening to Foster Hewitt call the games. A bit of living history is being consigned to history.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

You get what you vote for.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:You get what you vote for.
did we vote on broadcast rights??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
We voted for the Conservatives who made it clear that they would be making cuts to the CBC.
South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:CBC News Posted: Apr 10, 2014 12:30 PM ET

Link here

As many predicted when the CBC lost the broadcast rights for Hockey Night in Canada and a large piece of much needed revenue, the broadcaster has started to cut jobs and will reduce future sports broadcasts. Kind of a sad day in my mind. Say what you want about the CBC but at least it isn't solely concerned with commercial enterprise. It is also a Canadian icon in connection with hockey. A Canadian tradition as it were. Maybe just a bit of wistful reminiscence but somehow when you talking about hockey and the CBC, I have this image of family sitting in the living room clustered around the radio listening to Foster Hewitt call the games. A bit of living history is being consigned to history.
Sir Purrcival, fill me in here. This is interesting. I haven't followed hockey for some time (back to the most recent strike, actually), but did CBC not have NHL hockey this year? No Hockey Night in Canada? Who does the NHL, TSN? Do they have HNIC now and all the personnel associated with it (Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, etc.)?

I have mixed feelings about the CBC. I have found their political bias and Quebec orientation to be off-putting on their radio programming, along with ham-handed efforts to broaden their listening base by screwing up what were really high-quality programs (I'm thinking particularly about the classical music programming on Radio 2). However, you are right about the loss of a national tradition, and that part is sad.
Last edited by South Pender on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Too bad they didn't cut Don Cherry.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Too bad they didn't cut Don Cherry.
They did. Rogers will begin cutting him a check next fall instead.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: along with ham-handed efforts to broaden their listening base by screwing up what were really high-quality programs (I'm thinking particularly about the classical music programming on Radio 2). However, you are right about the loss of a national tradition, and that part is sad.
Hold on a second. It's 12:16 p.m. Eastern Time as I type this. Let me reach over and flip on 89.9 out of Windsor.

Hey, what do you know. Classical music.

Seriously. You classical music people need to get over yourselves. You're dying off. What Radio2 is now is a grossly under-appreciated, diverse gem of a music station essentially without equivalent elsewhere in North America. You get more than your fair share of classical, and still have time to hit the early bird special once it transitions back to AAA. I'd argue the extravagance is Radio 3.
South Pender
Legend

cromartie wrote:
South Pender wrote: along with ham-handed efforts to broaden their listening base by screwing up what were really high-quality programs (I'm thinking particularly about the classical music programming on Radio 2). However, you are right about the loss of a national tradition, and that part is sad.
Hold on a second. It's 12:16 p.m. Eastern Time as I type this. Let me reach over and flip on 89.9 out of Windsor.

Hey, what do you know. Classical music.

Seriously. You classical music people need to get over yourselves. You're dying off. What Radio2 is now is a grossly under-appreciated, diverse gem of a music station essentially without equivalent elsewhere in North America. You get more than your fair share of classical, and still have time to hit the early bird special once it transitions back to AAA. I'd argue the extravagance is Radio 3.
Sure, there's still some classical music on Radio 2, but far less than previously, and far more-poorly packaged, often blended with pop and rock. Our "fair share" is what we used to get--super high-quality programs hosted by knowledgeable experts like Bob Kerr (I'd even settle for Jurgen Gothe)--over the full day. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
We voted for the Conservatives who made it clear that they would be making cuts to the CBC.
While fingers are being pointed to the Tories over on RF.com someone posted a graph in the thread below showing how the biggest slices in the CBC budget in the past 25 years came in the first 4 years of the Chretien era when the budget was sliced by 1/3.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... rts-rights
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:While fingers are being pointed to the Tories over on RF.com someone posted a graph in the thread below showing how the biggest slices in the CBC budget in the past 25 years came in the first 4 years of the Chretien era when the budget was sliced by 1/3.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... rts-rights
Interesting. Still, they stayed solidly liberal in their bias in just about every way even after that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hey, I happen to enjoy Classical music.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:CBC News Posted: Apr 10, 2014 12:30 PM ET

Link here

Sir Purrcival, fill me in here. This is interesting. I haven't followed hockey for some time (back to the most recent strike, actually), but did CBC not have NHL hockey this year? No Hockey Night in Canada? Who does the NHL, TSN? Do they have HNIC now and all the personnel associated with it (Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, etc.)?

I have mixed feelings about the CBC. I have found their political bias and Quebec orientation to be off-putting on their radio programming, along with ham-handed efforts to broaden their listening base by screwing up what were really high-quality programs (I'm thinking particularly about the classical music programming on Radio 2). However, you are right about the loss of a national tradition, and that part is sad.
CBC has lost the rights to Hockey Night in Canada starting next season to Rogers. Simply put, they couldn't outbid what Rogers was willing to pay. Hockey Night in Canada was a major revenue generator for CBC and subsidized many other parts of their operation as well as garnered much needed advertising revenues. Losing the contract means that CBC is basically out of the sports broadcasting business but the loss is going to be felt across many of their other domains as well. These layoffs and cuts are probably only the beginning. As for some of the HNIC personnel, as far as I know, the jury is still out on who if any Rogers is going to take. They have subcontracted some broadcasts to other networks like TSN but just how this is all going to look is still a bit unclear. The CBC did a pretty decent job all those years and they deserve their due. Unfortunately, the CBC has in many ways become an anachronism. Once the main and major network of Canada, it is slowly being relegated to a poor cousin status. Maybe a lot of their content is not the greatest but at least they aren't showing marathons of some reality TV show.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Hey, I happen to enjoy Classical music.
Moi aussi. There are plenty of commercial radio channels playing the same crud more or less. At least with CBC, you can get some variety and some off the beaten path material too. Where would you get that on say 101 or 99.3 or any of the other stations for that matter. They are all oriented to one theme or another. Without the CBC, all we would have is the same old, same old from radio stations that are clambering to capture the money from the most broad based demographic as possible.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:CBC has lost the rights to Hockey Night in Canada starting next season to Rogers. Simply put, they couldn't outbid what Rogers was willing to pay. Hockey Night in Canada was a major revenue generator for CBC and subsidized many other parts of their operation as well as garnered much needed advertising revenues. Losing the contract means that CBC is basically out of the sports broadcasting business but the loss is going to be felt across many of their other domains as well. These layoffs and cuts are probably only the beginning. As for some of the HNIC personnel, as far as I know, the jury is still out on who if any Rogers is going to take. They have subcontracted some broadcasts to other networks like TSN but just how this is all going to look is still a bit unclear. The CBC did a pretty decent job all those years and they deserve their due. Unfortunately, the CBC has in many ways become an anachronism. Once the main and major network of Canada, it is slowly being relegated to a poor cousin status. Maybe a lot of their content is not the greatest but at least they aren't showing marathons of some reality TV show.
A little more detail in this link. HNIC will still be on CBC at least for the next 4 years. However Rogers controls the content with CBC playing a small role in that regard. Rogers also gets the advertising revenue. It seems to amount to CBC buying the games from Rogers and showing them in the usual timeslots. CBC likely will become a buyer of some of the advertising to use to promote their own programming. As a hockey fan I'm very much in support of this change to the landscape. Some of the regional blackout policies are dropped. One of the things I like is, as I'm led to believe, Rogers will be showing all Canadian teams playing on a Saturday either on their own Sportsnet channels or via HNIC on CBC. Apparently they have 9 different channels out there at their disposal. From back east that means at 4:00 we aren't held hostage by the CBC and being force fed Leaf games. Seems like the only way to watch one of the other 6 clubs in that 4:00 Pacific time slot is if they are playing the Leafs or the Leafs aren't playing at all. That's always seemed strange to me. While there are a ton of Leaf fans out west wherever I've had the pleasure of living or working it seems like there are 2 Habs fans for every Leaf fan. Maybe that's just because of their greater success since the last time the Leafs won a Cup Hab fans are louder and more obnoxious than Leaf fans. They're more willing to make their presence known.

http://o.canada.com/business/what-the-n ... r-the-cbc/
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/deal ... h-2025-26/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.