More Stuff from Twitter.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

And they won't get it.....particularly since Buono has pulled out......leaving Winnipeg as the only suitor.
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I find it odd that Joey Elliott is never mentioned as part of the Lions' QB plans for 2014.

From LU today:
However, until Ottawa general manager Marcel Desjardins devalues the 34-year-old Glenn, the Lions won't get serious about trading for an understudy to Travis Lulay, whose shoulder surgery rehabilitation has gone well but will be on a pitch count almost until the end of training camp.

But after Lulay and grass-green sophomore Chris Hart, the Lions aren't so deep at quarterback with the recent signings of imports John Beck (Dolphins/Redskins) and Jarrett Lee (LSU) that they won't stop looking.
B.C. Lions' search for a backup quarterback continues

I checked and Elliott is still on the roster. He would seem to be a natural choice for No. 2 QB heading into camp. I don't get the sense that the Lions see it that way, though.
David
Team Captain

I am at a loss to know what Joey Elliott has ever done for the Lions under centre when the bullets are flying to sour them on at least being a back-up. Granted, it's a small body of work, but he has looked capable the times in which he has played. For example, he may have been their best QB in the Calgary preseason game last year (3 for 4 passing). 2 Player Of The Week awards in Winnipeg.

Is he starter material? No, but barring a serious set-back with the off-season surgery which was supposed to permanently fix Travis's right shoulder subluxation issues, the back-up is not likely to see field much in 2014. Certainly not enough to give up starters to acquire one IMO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I"m looking forward to the Lions accelerating the development of Chris Hart so I hope he ends up as #2 behind Lulay.

A strong running game for 2014 will go a long way in helping Lulay's shoulder recover simply by throwing less passes and also help if a back up QB gets in the game.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

....more stuff today:

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports:

Chad Ochocinco isn't the NFL player the #BCLions are after bcoss gm Wally Buono has his eyes on free agent OL Danny Watkins from Kelowna.

The #BCLions met with 2013 draft pick Boseko Lokombo at U of Oregan 2 days ago.The Abbotsford native up for the NFL draft next month.

Lions doctors gave good reports on qb Travis Lulay and OL Kirby Fabian after both were tested and worked out by team officials.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:....more stuff today:

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports:

Chad Ochocinco isn't the NFL player the #BCLions are after bcoss gm Wally Buono has his eyes on free agent OL Danny Watkins from Kelowna.

The #BCLions met with 2013 draft pick Boseko Lokombo at U of Oregan 2 days ago.The Abbotsford native up for the NFL draft next month.

Lions doctors gave good reports on qb Travis Lulay and OL Kirby Fabian after both were tested and worked out by team officials.
All interesting tidbits, especially the Watkins factor.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am at a loss to know what Joey Elliott has ever done for the Lions under centre when the bullets are flying to sour them on at least being a back-up. Granted, it's a small body of work, but he has looked capable the times in which he has played. For example, he may have been their best QB in the Calgary preseason game last year (3 for 4 passing). 2 Player Of The Week awards in Winnipeg.

Is he starter material? No, but barring a serious set-back with the off-season surgery which was supposed to permanently fix Travis's right shoulder subluxation issues, the back-up is not likely to see field much in 2014. Certainly not enough to give up starters to acquire one IMO.

DH :cool:
This appears to be another in a long line of players over the years that for mysterious reasons didn't get a really fair shot for this team. With Elliot, I haven't heard he is a problem. What little opportunity we did get to see he him suggests that he is at least competent enough to be in the mix for a job. It is one thing to be given an opportunity to shine and blowing it. It is another thing altogether to not even be allowed to line up at the starting line. Think about what it took to give Andrew Harris a chance to be a starter on the Offence. That was an opportunity that was nearly squandered by Wally and Co. If Elliot is really that bad, then why keep him at all? They cut him, then brought him back and what do they have otherwise in terms of an experienced QB? Is he heads and tails worse than Jarious Jackson who we kept for years? It is the one thing about Wally and Co that does tick me off. You see players that look like they may have potential and then maybe they don't but you get a glimpse or two and think I've seen worse and then the player never takes the field again. Does anyone think that Paris Jackson got any real opportunities in the last two seasons to prove he could still be more than just an occasional contributor? In other cases, we stick with some players who are clearly struggling for a season or more (think Javy Glatt). It seems to be this ugly little coaching gnome that pokes his head up once in awhile. Just long enough to make some really perplexing decisions and then he goes away again.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: It seems to be this ugly little coaching gnome that pokes his head up once in awhile. Just long enough to make some really perplexing decisions and then he goes away again.
:beauty: Great comment.....sums it up precisely.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:

This appears to be another in a long line of players over the years that for mysterious reasons didn't get a really fair shot for this team. With Elliot, I haven't heard he is a problem. What little opportunity we did get to see he him suggests that he is at least competent enough to be in the mix for a job. It is one thing to be given an opportunity to shine and blowing it. It is another thing altogether to not even be allowed to line up at the starting line. Think about what it took to give Andrew Harris a chance to be a starter on the Offence. That was an opportunity that was nearly squandered by Wally and Co. If Elliot is really that bad, then why keep him at all? They cut him, then brought him back and what do they have otherwise in terms of an experienced QB? Is he heads and tails worse than Jarious Jackson who we kept for years? It is the one thing about Wally and Co that does tick me off. You see players that look like they may have potential and then maybe they don't but you get a glimpse or two and think I've seen worse and then the player never takes the field again. Does anyone think that Paris Jackson got any real opportunities in the last two seasons to prove he could still be more than just an occasional contributor? In other cases, we stick with some players who are clearly struggling for a season or more (think Javy Glatt). It seems to be this ugly little coaching gnome that pokes his head up once in awhile. Just long enough to make some really perplexing decisions and then he goes away again.
I agree with your assessment. Two players which wasn't given much of a look IMO is Orville Lee and current Lion Jamal Johnson.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

I agree with your assessment. Two players which wasn't given much of a look IMO is Orville Lee and current Lion Jamal Johnson.
I agree, signed Akeem Foster
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

I'm sure you meant Jamall Lee.....and yes, his frustration, caused by the Lions' indifference, played a big part in his choosing to leave football entirely.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You are correct. I mean Jamal.......
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Didn't I see something about Elliot only brought back last year to avoid some injury arbitration which would make him a very unfavoured person in the Lions den and the CFL? So this might be why they don't like the guy. A dispute of some sort. I might be dreaming this.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Didn't I see something about Elliot only brought back last year to avoid some injury arbitration which would make him a very unfavoured person in the Lions den and the CFL? So this might be why they don't like the guy. A dispute of some sort. I might be dreaming this.
Yes, Elliott reportedly claimed to have been injured when he was released. When Lulay got hurt a few weeks later, they brought him back. As Wally indicated at the time, the move solved two problems, shoring up the QB depth chart and avoiding the need for arbitration.
JohnHenry
Champion

The Lions have preferred to find their own QB's and rarely sign those let go from other CFL teams. Elliot was a Joe Mack find. I hope this factor hasn't tarnished Joey's chances in B.C?