More Stuff from Twitter.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

CFL News ‏@CFL_News 1h

David Braley has #Argos & #BCLions up for sale. Argos asking price: $20 million. Lions price: $60 million via @simmonssteve

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 15m

#BCLions owner David Braley tells me his team is not for sale and the 60 million dollar price tag has not scared potential investors.

Braley has talked to more than 1 potential investor in the Lions who was not scared by the 60 million dollar price.

The Argos price tag is more complicated - involves many moving parts.

Province Sports ‏@provincesports 9m

Our quick take on #BCLions sale rumours: #Argos more likely to be sold (possibly v soon), while Leos aren't really on the block.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

gary lawless ‏@garylawless 1h

Story to come but #bombers will be officially awarded 2015 Grey Cup on Wednesday by #cfl commissioner Mark Cohon #bn
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 5m

Senator David Braley has told #TEAM1040 that he is not looking to sell @BCLions, but @TorontoArgos are for sale.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 3m

After talking with the agent for NFL OL Danny Watkins, #BCLions gm Wally Buono will now try and set up a meeting with the Kelowna native.

Bouno also talked with the agent for CFL free agent Ted Laurent yesterday - the Lions still in the mix for his services.

Buono talked with Ottawa over the weekend about qb Kevin Glenn. Asking price still high but Bouno will wait.
:thup: :cr: :cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote: #BCLions owner David Braley tells me his team is not for sale and the 60 million dollar price tag has not scared potential investors.

Braley has talked to more than 1 potential investor in the Lions who was not scared by the 60 million dollar price.
How time has changed. A few years ago you can't sell the Lions for $1.00
David
Team Captain

He told Cam Tucker Of Metro that he's not sure where the $60MM figure came from for the two teams - it's more likely $40MM. He said again that he's not interested in selling the Leos at this time (probably floating a trial balloon).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote: #BCLions owner David Braley tells me his team is not for sale and the 60 million dollar price tag has not scared potential investors.

Braley saved the Lions, but he is also one helluva businessman.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As much as I believe Braley to be sincere, you can't convince me if someone came along with at skoocum offer, he wouldn't change his mind in a heartbeat. He is a businessman at his core and he won't turn down a really good offer if it does come along.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 3h

The #BCLions are getting close to signing 2013 1st round pick and OL Hunter Steward.
Lloyd
South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:As much as I believe Braley to be sincere, you can't convince me if someone came along with at skoocum offer, he wouldn't change his mind in a heartbeat. He is a businessman at his core and he won't turn down a really good offer if it does come along.
You may be right, but I'm not so sure about that. Braley is worth $2.43B. $60M represents about 2.5% of his net worth. I don't think a difference of $20M here or there will make much difference to him. He's not in it for the money. Just my opinion.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:As much as I believe Braley to be sincere, you can't convince me if someone came along with at skoocum offer, he wouldn't change his mind in a heartbeat. He is a businessman at his core and he won't turn down a really good offer if it does come along.
While no one would suggest that Braley is anything less than an astute businessman, if he looked at the CFL purely as a business investment he'd not have invested a dollar. There are others like Jimmy Pattison in BC who could have bought the Lions easily but it did not make sense from a business perspective. Pattison is not an avid sports fan although IIRC he was interested if an MLB franchise could have worked here as that would be far superior profits and ROE. For Braley with BC It has been a long arduous rode to financial stability and there are far wiser investments paying bigger returns that a CFL team. He has loaned money to his other CFL competitors. That's not a business decision even if it could be argued that he was helping to save the CFL as even an amateur poker player knows you don't play against your own money.

He is in a class by himself when he comes to owning a CFL team. He will try for certain to sell to someone who is the right fit - but in the end there has to be willing and able buyer.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

South Pender wrote:
You may be right, but I'm not so sure about that. Braley is worth $2.43B. $60M represents about 2.5% of his net worth. I don't think a difference of $20M here or there will make much difference to him. He's not in it for the money. Just my opinion.
How do you know how much Braley is worth?
South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:How do you know how much Braley is worth?
My mistake. I got the information from this article, but now realize, after re-reading the article, that the author was talking about Daryl Katz, who is mentioned just after David Braley.

http://truomega.ca/2011/03/08/affirmati ... r-to-fans/

I'll see what I can find about Braley.

Nonetheless, my point stands that Braley is not interested in his football teams as businesses. In my opinion, he can be seen as a philanthropist with regards to the CFL.

Edit: I found this article that describes Braley as a "billionaire":

http://www.bizmagazine.ca/sitepages/?ai ... 0Q1%202011

I'm sure a careful Google search would reveal Braley's net worth, but I think the point stands that a guy who's as wealthy as Braley isn't going to sweat the sale of his teams. Being of a more philanthropic bent, my guess is that Braley would try to find a buyer who would put the CFL, its teams, and its fans before personal financial gain--just as Braley himself has done. Much as Toppy Vann has noted above.
Last edited by South Pender on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

He's also a big time philanthropist in the Hamilton area......one article I read spoke of ~$70M he's given to the university/hospitals in the area in a short period of time.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 3h

#BCLions gm Wally Buono has contacted agents for Manny Arceneaux, Solomon Elimimian & Adam Bighill - wants 2 extend contracts for all 3.

Arceneaux, Elimimian & Bighill heading into the final years of their contracts.

Hearing Bighill is thinking NFL before before re-doing deal with Lions.
Lloyd