Lions welcome back Chris Wilson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow. Didn't even know he was on their radar screen. Hopefully a much needed boost to the dline.
The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that free agent defensive end Chris Wilson has agreed to terms on a contract with the team.

Wilson rejoins the Lions after originally signing with the club in 2005. The Flint, Michigan native was a key part of the club’s defensive line and the Lions’ championship run in 2006 and appeared in 36 regular season games over two seasons recording 70 defensive tackles and nine sacks.

“Chris approached us last week about returning to the club and we are very pleased to welcome him back,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “He’s gifted athlete and he will bring an additional aggressive, physical presence to our defensive line.”

Following two standout campaigns with the Leos, Wilson signed with the Washington Redskins in 2007 and would not miss a start for the NFL club through the next four seasons playing both defensive end and linebacker.

In 2011, Wilson moved to the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent, but was released late in training camp that year. After sitting out the rest of the 2011 season, he returned to the Redskins in 2012 in a reserve role and a key special teams player and again, did not miss a start.

In 80 career games over five seasons, he recorded 57 defensive tackles, 6.5 sacks and three forced fumbles.
http://www.bclions.com/article/wilson-returns-to-leos
cromartie
Hall of Famer

*sigh*
I suppose he can help. It's nice to see him again.

But, like the Pierce acquisition, is this really addressing an actual problem? Or are we changing out the faucets in our home with bad wiring and mold in addition to the switchplates?
Big Time
Champion

Lions clearly are targetting players who can hit the field running. Wally has always said the game is won and lost in the trenches. Anything that can help in that area is welcome. I see no risk in this move, and nothing but potential upside.
globespanner
Rookie

I would suggest this is the end of "Orange Julius" Williams. Out of shape and off the mark he never quite could make an impact. I am wondering if his salary is guaranteed for the rest of the season. If it is he will be on the squad otherwise gone.

Look for Wilson in the DL rotation right away.
South Pender
Legend

This is interesting. Wilson is 31, so not over the hill, but he's really DE (or LB) size at 6-4, 243 lbs. He played DE for us before, IIRC, so is not the big body we'd hoped for for the middle of the D-Line. Still, he was an outstanding player and did play a few seasons for the Redskins, albeit mainly at outside LB, given his size. This might mean that Keron Williams goes back inside. I guess he's an upgrade of sorts. Hope he's in shape.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Meanwhile the OLine languishes. Come on Wally THERE'S your problem!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He wasn't exactly Cam Wake when he was here.

A smallish DE.

Seemed like a nice young man when he was here.

But, I cannot see what this does to address our personnel needs.

Khalif Mitchell replacement?

Safety? (non import?)

Or the schemes issue. That one. The big one. ... Do we have a clue how to beat the all out blitz?

If not, more guys than Andrew Harris are going to let some discontent leak out, despite phone calls from the HC.
leo4life
All Star

Decent siging he was a good player when he was here last.However is Wally resigning the '06 Cup squad? Wilson,Buck and if we still need a nose tackle maybe call up big Tryone Williams ;-)
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:This is interesting. Wilson is 31, so not over the hill, but he's really DE (or LB) size at 6-4, 243 lbs. He played DE for us before, IIRC, so is not the big body we'd hoped for for the middle of the D-Line. Still, he was an outstanding player and did play a few seasons for the Redskins, albeit mainly at outside LB, given his size. This might mean that Keron Williams goes back inside. I guess he's an upgrade of sorts. Hope he's in shape.
Have to give credit to Wally, he is able to bring back the ex-Lion NFL refugees, as he has always keeps in touch with their progress in the NFL. That said I agree that his position is not a concern for the Lions, unless you count Julious Williams removal as an upgrade. But it does impact our other Williams as you staten and he isn't as effective at the DT position. As Lionbackers has stated, an upgrade in size and physical toughness, would instantly pay dividends in merely getting a push on the DL.

All in all, this rates a meh signing, unless there is a compliment added at the DT position, then all the pieces become interesting to piece together.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Decent siging he was a good player when he was here last.However is Wally resigning the '06 Cup squad? Wilson,Buck and if we still need a nose tackle maybe call up big Tryone Williams ;-)
I don't really recall him making an impact, and was surprised when the Redskins signed him.

I'd argue that he could make an impact on Special Teams, but subbing Keynan Parker for Ianuzzi has helped considerably, and Parker has a better passport than Wilson.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
leo4life wrote:Decent siging he was a good player when he was here last.However is Wally resigning the '06 Cup squad? Wilson,Buck and if we still need a nose tackle maybe call up big Tryone Williams ;-)
I don't really recall him making an impact, and was surprised when the Redskins signed him.

I'd argue that he could make an impact on Special Teams, but subbing Keynan Parker for Ianuzzi has helped considerably, and Parker has a better passport than Wilson.
As IR Wilson was pretty green in BC his first go around, oftenfinding himself in the opposition backfield, but not taking very good angles. In his final games he seemed to have corrected that and had just turned the corner to become a solid addition on the DL.
South Pender
Legend

Or how about Aaron Hunt.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It almost seems like window dressing. Throw out a little distractor for the fans. Oohhh ... the return of ...

Meanwhile our guys have been getting pounded in a shameful excuse for an offence, without a clue how to beat the blitz.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Or how about Aaron Hunt.
Not sure that I want to what kind of condition he is in, and I don't think that there is enough games left to get him back to his playing weight, well his playing weight which seemed to occur around mid season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm OK with this. Our pass pressure simply hasn't been good enough. If I recall Wilson was very fast and explosive off the edge. I also recall the same thing Rammer mentioned about angles. Seemed like he'd explode into the backfield and right past the QB or ball carrier. However when he came here he also was a very raw talent having come from Northwood University, a very small private NCAA Div II school of only 2000 students. He joined the Skins as a DE later switching to OLB when Washington switched to a 3-4 defence. Special Teams is also an area we could do with some improvement. It wouldn't bother me to see somebody like Wilson sliding in to replace Bighill or Elimimian on STs. I kind of cringe at the thought of one of our key LBs going down to injury covering a kickoff. When I look at Wilson's resume I see a guy who can give Stubler some options in rotation. We do seem to lack somebody to be a pure rush end and beat a tackle with speed and quickness. I'm not sold on Khreem Smith as an every situation DE. He doesn't seem to have that explosiveness to get to a QB quickly in a 2nd and long passing situation. We've given up far too many big plays in those situations recently due to lack of pressure. Wilson could be an upgrade in that regard. I see Wilson as a guy who brings versatility, always a key in the CFL. He can play rush end. He's played LB in the NFL. He can play special teams. I don't expect a Cam Wake-Lite impact but can see him helping in multiple areas.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.