BUCK IS BACK - LIONS RE-ACQUIRE PIERCE

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Upper Bowl
Starter

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ac ... uck-pierce

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced late this afternoon that they have acquired quarterback Buck Pierce from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in exchange for non-import receiver Akeem Foster.

“We are heading into a critical part of our schedule and we need to significantly improve as a football team,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “Buck is a proven veteran quarterback, an accomplished starter and a leader who has taken his teams into the playoffs and to a championship game. He will also give us a needed veteran presence in support of Travis Lulay.”

Pierce rejoins the Lions after spending five years in Orange from 2005-2009, making 34 starts and complying a 21-12-1 mark during that time. After joining the Bombers as a free agent in 2010, Pierce went on to appear in 33 games (32 as the starter). For his career, the New Mexico State product has thrown for 15,059 yards on 1,179 completions including 73 touchdowns and a 64.3 completion percentage.

Foster departs the Lions after being drafted by the club in 2010 (4th round, 25th overall). The Ajax, Ontario native appeared in 43 games over four seasons hauling in 62 passes for 960 yards and nine touchdowns.

“We wish Akeem the best in Winnipeg,” added Buono. “We appreciate his contributions both on and off the field and we believe this trade will give him a good opportunity to play on a regular basis.”
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

wally, the great QB finder. Other teams get mitchells and willys and collaros, but the best wally can do is a lions fragile retread.

guess tebow wasnt available.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Lulay must be injured worse than we thought. Or they're looking to keep him from getting injured worse.
Big Time
Champion

I guess one advantage of running the exact same offense for the last ten years under Chaps reign of error is that a guy like Buck can come in and be ready to play in about five minutes. Incidentally, that's also exactly how long he will last before getting injured if the O-line plays like they did yesterday.
leo4life
All Star

WTF?!?! I thought Wally was looking for a young NFL cut to mold....this is bizare!!! Well Buck will be "Plug and Play" since nothing has changed since he was here last lol
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

QB is taking a beating. Bring in another beat up QB, or improve the oline.....hmmmmm
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gerry
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:wally, the great QB finder. Other teams get mitchells and willys and collaros, but the best wally can do is a lions fragile retread.

That's quite a rude comment considering the talent that Buono has brought into the CFL and especially the BC Lions, and especially at the QB position.
Enough is enough.
leo4life
All Star

Is it 2008?!?
MikeAK
All Star

I don't get this at all. I'm starting to wonder if our problems are off the field.
South Pender
Legend

I was waiting for this. Keep in mind that we were one injury to Lulay away from oblivion this season. DeMarco can't make this team a winner, and Hart certainly can't. This is a mildly positive sign. Any attempt to bring an NFL cut at QB would lead to a very difficult time for that guy, trying desperately to learn the Canadian game and the Lions' offense in the remaining 8 games. That guy--although possibly a future prospect--wouldn't IMO have been able to help this season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:wally, the great QB finder. Other teams get mitchells and willys and collaros, but the best wally can do is a lions fragile retread.

That's quite a rude comment considering the talent that Buono has brought into the CFL and especially the BC Lions, and especially at the QB position.
I am a bit surprised at this but LU or Beamish had some time back said the Lions might be interested in Buck. I think it was LU of The Province. I doubt he was just spinning that off the top of his head.

The undisclosed injury was odd to me and I wonder how this all went down.

Akeem couldn't have got into a worse situation as other NI REC haven't fared well with this outfit.

Buck was 1000% committed to WPG and gave that team his all. It is a joke there now.

But as others note the pass protection has to be better or no QB will survive. It will be the old days with a revolving door of injury to QBs.

I am happy to see Buck back in a BC uniform as this guy is all class and still has a lot of talent.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought that cutting Joey Elliot really weakened the Lions in the event of a Lulay injury but now with the return of Buck as a backup, it strengthens the team. Foster was not being utilized so his absence will have no impact.

Maybe the Lions will get lucky in the Ottawa expansion draft and Buck will get picked, allowing the Lions to protect more players as a result.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Presumably BP will be #2 on the depth chart, which leaves the question of who will be #3, DeMarco or Hart? Seems like DeMarco would get the nod there.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I love Buck, but If he saw yesterday's game and the lack of protection the Lions offer their QB, he should refuse the trade and just retire. He would be putting his health in serious jeopardy if he ever has to take a snap in an actual game.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Sorry DanoT, I have to disagree. Buck is a great character guy but that does nothing for us on the field. This doesn't strengthen us, it doesn't really do anything for us unless they are going to let him do the play calling from the sidelines. Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't one of the reasons we let Buck go was out of concern for his health? This is the worst move ever so far as I can tell. He just isn't serviceable as a QB and if Travis gets hurt for any length of time, you better make room on the cart beside him for Buck because with our QB protection problems, he isn't going to last a game if he has to start. Harsh words considering I really like the guy as a person but we just gave up a Canadian Receiver for this? Really makes me question the Lions brain trust right now. They just released a guy with CFL game experience who is a lot younger and healthier. Exactly how does this make us better?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.