Lulay, Chapdelaine and the offence ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Hey Blitz, all you have to do is put Westerman in as a TE, I would bet the farm he would excel as a receiver. Now you may have to minimize his use on D, but if you were running the double TE formation half the time, perhaps he could spell off on the DL. In fact, using a couple of DL who are more athletic than the Ol generally, may be why Wally is stocking up on the DL with Wilson's addition. ;)
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Hey Blitz, all you have to do is put Westerman in as a TE, I would bet the farm he would excel as a receiver. ......
Didn't Westerman have a beautiful pick early in the season @ home? IIRC, he had a really nice INT and therefore he certainly looks like he's got the hands.....
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Hey Blitz, all you have to do is put Westerman in as a TE, I would bet the farm he would excel as a receiver. Now you may have to minimize his use on D, but if you were running the double TE formation half the time, perhaps he could spell off on the DL. In fact, using a couple of DL who are more athletic than the Ol generally, may be why Wally is stocking up on the DL with Wilson's addition. ;)
You gotta stop putting booze in your Cool Aid Rammer!!! :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting comments about Lulay, Buck, and our quarterback position in an article by Ed Willes in the Province this evening...posted below.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now? Well, Buck has left the circus in Winnipeg and seemed genuinely happy to be back in Vancouver. He also seems to be the same hyper-competitive, team-first guy who left here and the Lions are counting on his experience to help out the beleaguered Lulay.

“Maybe we take some of the pressure of the quarterback,” said Buono. “Maybe (Lulay) will say I’m beat up and I have to get out. Or maybe he’ll say I don’t have to have a great day, and we want be screwed. It’s all the mental games. If this helps him relax a little bit, it’s a positive.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

This Vancouver Sun article discusses the number of injuries and hits CFL quarterbacks have taken in this season, defined by the zone blitz.

It also portions responsibility for our lack of success against blitzing defenses to Lulay, our pass blocking, and our offensive scheme against the blitz. Sensible.

Certainly, with Cavillo, Ray, and Tate out, Mike Reilley bruised from head to toe, and Travis having an injured thumb this could be the year of the backup quarterback unless offensive coordinators and quarterbacks can figure a way to get defenses to stop this all out attack.

The article is posted below:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

METRO VANCOUVER — The only trouble with these two shootists is that both Travis Lulay and his once-and-again B.C. Lions sidekick, Buck Pierce — who was reintroduced to the club’s familiar old digs in Surrey on Tuesday — live by the quarterbacks’ Code of the West: i.e. sometimes you need to take a shot to get one off.

Sounds noble, and honourable and brave and all that. But it may not be the ideal formula for a long career, especially if the other guys are 75 pounds heavier.

And in these days of the zone blitz, when opponents are routinely sending one more pass rusher than the offence has blockers, the quarterbacks are falling like flies. Anthony Calvillo, Ricky Ray, Drew Tate, to name just a few.

That Edmonton’s Mike Reilly is not in a full-body cast after weeks of brutal punishment is a small miracle all of its own.

Lulay, who at the moment is operating with a torn thumbnail on his throwing hand that may or not still be attached by the time the Montreal Alouettes roll into town for their Sunday matinee at BC Place, has taken a fearful beating at times this year, some of it poor execution on his part, some the offensive line’s fault, and some the fault of not enough schematic horse-sense to turn the bad guys’ blitzes against them.

Enter Pierce, who was the starter here when Lulay was just a glint in Wally Buono’s eye, and who has always been a chronic holder of the ball for a half-second too long, which is why he has been the player to be maimed later (and earlier) pretty much ever since his Canadian Football League career began in 2006.

Reclaimed late last week from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for non-import receiver Akeem Foster in a trade that was hushed until both teams had played their weekend games, Pierce, 31, looked and sounded genuinely happy to be back in the place where his pro career began seven years ago.

And so he should be. He may be only one step closer to playing here for a third-place (6-4) Lions team, but in Winnipeg, it was difficult to keep a stiff upper lip after being demoted from starter to third string on the East’s worst (2-8) team.

“It was a tough situation, not just for me, but with everything going on,” Pierce said Tuesday. “We had a change at president and CEO, general manager, offensive co-ordinator, there were inconsistencies with personnel, just a lot of shuffling around. I dearly care for that organization and everything they’ve done for me, but it was just time for a change, for everybody.

“I mean, I wanted to make sure I handled everything professionally, but deep down, I was ready to play football.”

He may not be quite prepped to do it for keeps yet — the Lions’ playbook isn’t what it was when he was here last in 2009 — but on the other hand, he’d better be ready soon, the way opposing defences are abusing Lulay.

“But that’s always your mindset,” said Pierce, “which is why you’re only as good as your depth. The CFL is known for guys being athletic quarterbacks, and having to take a pounding, do things with their legs.

“This year, I think the way the league’s going, you’re seeing a lot of the (Toronto defensive co-ordinator) Chris Jones philosophy: let’s play cover zero, not just in the red zone, play it when they’re backed up as well and give our team field position.”

“Taking hits is part of the position,” Lulay said witha shrug. “And you can see right now, I think the challenge league-wide is to counter the blitz. You saw Winnipeg get after Saskatchewan this past weekend. We had it from Montreal a few weeks ago, and they’re up again this week.”

That’s why, Lulay said, Job 1 is to find ways to blunt the pass rush.

“It’s not just about my health, it’s about the success of the group,” said the Leos’ franchise player.

“You saw in the (win) against Hamilton in BC Place, they came with some good pressure in the first half, but we were able to hit passes over the top, hit receiver screens, made them pay, slowed down the blitz a little bit, and you can get a little bit more run game going.

“So right now, that’s one of our points of emphasis. And that’s Montreal’s forte, showing guys up front, bringing guys in different gaps, so that’s going to be the game plan, to find ways to counter that stuff.”

If he does need to do more than be an extra pair of veteran’s eyes in the film room, and on the sidelines, Pierce is going to face that same imperative: fire first, or face the barrage.

And if it’s the latter, he must be able to get up again. He says he’s not worried about that, not focussed on just getting rid of the ball to avoid being drilled.

“I mean, you can’t think of it that way,” he said. “That’s where it becomes more schematic, what you have to do offensively to neutralize it. When teams (blitz), they’re vulnerable. If you show you can beat that as an offence, that stuff will let up.

“But there’s times when you need to stand in there and make a play, or run. It doesn’t matter who you are or how long you’ve been in the league or where you’ve been before. This is the CFL, quarterbacks take hits.

“In Winnipeg, earlier this year, they tried to make me more of a pocket guy, more of an NFL guy, throw the ball down the field without running so much, and that kind of took away from what I do well, which is competing, being a football player.”

No one ever accused Buck Pierce of being any less than that.

“You never know what road you’re going to go down, or how your career’s going to end,” he said, “but I’ve always been such a positive guy and I’ve kind of done my own thing, too.”

The Ol’ Buckaroo has been urged to hang up the shootin’ irons more than once.

“A lot of have guys have said, ‘You know, Buck, just ride it out here and go into a coaching gig.’ But as long as there is value for what you do, I’ve always said: ‘You know what? I want to play. I want to help, I want to wear that helmet,’ ” he said.

“There will be a time when I don’t get to do it any more, so I’m thankful I get to do it here.”

ccole@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z2eYGgDdN0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lots of ink right now on the Lions. From Lowell Ullrich ...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
“Right now in the world we’re living in, a guy that’s seen the pressure, who knows where to throw right now, has value,” coach Mike Benevides said Monday. “We’re not looking at him to play but to create a veteran presence.”
Since Lulay arrived in May 2009, the Lions have had some 16 quarterbacks (see Quarterback Keepers, below) in camp, including Pierce, who stood at the front of the line amid the transition from Dave Dickenson to Lulay.
Pierce seemed to understand when speaking to Winnipeg reporters Monday that his role was to not compete for the starting job with the Lions.
The recent moves behind Lulay have prompted calls that a package of plays should be developed for Thomas DeMarco, who will remain the second-stringer, in the event of an injury to the starter.

Those calls, however, are not coming from DeMarco, who feels he can still contribute even if he’s not on the field.

“It’s not fair (for the offence) to have to learn two guys,” he said. “You can lead as a second-string guy by being an extension of the coaching staff, but you’ve got one captain on the team on offence.”

Benevides said before the Pierce deal there were no plans for a DeMarco package, and didn’t change his messaging after the deal for the former Winnipeg starter.
DeMarco remains #2. Interesting. I was wondering if the Lions had lost some faith in DeMarco.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Cam Cole in the Sun ...

“It’s not just about my health, it’s about the success of the group,” said the Leos’ franchise player.

“You saw in the (win) against Hamilton in BC Place, they came with some good pressure in the first half, but we were able to hit passes over the top, hit receiver screens, made them pay, slowed down the blitz a little bit, and you can get a little bit more run game going.

“So right now, that’s one of our points of emphasis. And that’s Montreal’s forte, showing guys up front, bringing guys in different gaps, so that’s going to be the game plan, to find ways to counter that stuff.”
"And that’s Montreal’s forte, showing guys up front, bringing guys in different gaps, so that’s going to be the game plan, to find ways to counter that stuff.” - Travis Lulay

"going to be the game plan" "find ways to counter that stuff" I hope so.

“This year, I think the way the league’s going, you’re seeing a lot of the (Toronto defensive co-ordinator) Chris Jones philosophy: let’s play cover zero, not just in the red zone, play it when they’re backed up as well and give our team field position.” - Buck Pierce

Yes. I like the way Jones has his guys play defence. Attack. Attack. Attack. Not the answer to everything. But IMO better than sitting back.

“That’s where it becomes more schematic, what you have to do offensively to neutralize it. When teams (blitz), they’re vulnerable. If you show you can beat that as an offence, that stuff will let up." - Buck Pierce

Schematic. Yes. Teams back off when the offence makes them pay.

“In Winnipeg, earlier this year, they tried to make me more of a pocket guy, more of an NFL guy, throw the ball down the field without running so much, and that kind of took away from what I do well, which is competing, being a football player.” - Buck Pierce

I don't see the possibility of really changing the style of play a QB brings to the pros. Pretty hard to change what has become instinctive. I would suggest that the Lions have tried to do that with Lulay also. Make him more of a pocket guy.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z2eYgivEj8
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:Hey Blitz, all you have to do is put Westerman in as a TE, I would bet the farm he would excel as a receiver. Now you may have to minimize his use on D, but if you were running the double TE formation half the time, perhaps he could spell off on the DL. In fact, using a couple of DL who are more athletic than the Ol generally, may be why Wally is stocking up on the DL with Wilson's addition. ;)

Not all that strange an idea. In the 60s the TiCats when in short yardage would bring in DT Mosca and Barrow (not as well known as Mosca, but Barrow was more talented and was the D captain) to replace the guards.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
Rammer wrote:Hey Blitz, all you have to do is put Westerman in as a TE, I would bet the farm he would excel as a receiver. ......
Didn't Westerman have a beautiful pick early in the season @ home? IIRC, he had a really nice INT and therefore he certainly looks like he's got the hands.....
That is what I am basing it upon. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

This has to be complete crap...why would the Lions trade for Buck Pearce to become our #3 QB...sure, it might take him a week to relearn Chapdelaine's "rocket science" system, but he has to become #2 pretty soon...if not, Wally is proving to us that he is losing his marbles...DeMarco isn't good enough...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:From Cam Cole in the Sun ...

Begs the question: why didn't the Lions do that last week in Hamilton ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well, it seems there are fans of Lulay, and there are critics.

Gonna lend some support to our quarterback, as a fan of the Lions.

It has been mentioned a few times that he has that $450,000 contract, and that we need more from him because of it.

There are suggestions that Wally brought in Buck to to push Lulay.

There are suggestions that Lulay doesn't find secondary receivers fast enough.

There are suggestions that he releases the ball too slowly, that his windup is too big.

There are suggestions that Lulay lacks leadership.

There have been suggestions that he needs to step up in that pocket, and not bail, and not bail to the right so much.

If Lulay throws for 300 a few more times, if the Lions turn their season around, I expect those critics will say, well he is reading the D better. He is not panicking in the face of the blitz. His release is faster.

I would suggest that he is the same guy, but that, if better times come for us, adaptations have allowed him to play his game.

Whatever ...

Lulay has some fans here. As does Buck. As does DeMarco.

And my sympathies are with the players, the guys who take the hits, the ones in harm's way. Not so much with the staff, the ones sending the players into harm's way. The coaches get their support at other times.

Not calling out any Lionbackers. We all have our views. Lending support to our quarterback. As a fan of the Lions.

If one reads back, I started this thread with an open mind, even focusing on Lulay as the problem. "Lulay and the offence." Looking for answers. As time went on, and we got smoked by the blitz, my focus changed to anti blitz needs. And I added Chapdelaine to the title, as the overall planning of the offence seemed stuck in the mud. Well, we have gotten more focus on issues other than Lulay, but he still seems to be the fulcrum of much of the debate.

QBs have gotten pounded in our system since Wally and Jacques got here. No change there.

Quick read, quick release Dave Dickenson got pounded.

Elusive Casey Printers got pounded.

Athletic Buck Pierce got pounded.

Elusive Travis Lulay has gotten pounded.

In the pocket. Running that offence.

Whatever we fans think, if the players get truly disgusted, as they may have aleady, that spells trouble. Once that genie is out of the bottle I don't think there is any going back. Players side with players. They don't often side with management or the staff.

I found it interesting to see two stalwarts of the defence, Korey Banks and Dante Marsh, showing their support of Lulay, with words and actions. I do not recall seeing a defensive player put his arm around his QB as he comes off the field, after another pounding, as I saw with Banks. I do not recall seeing a defensive player, as with Marsh, go up to his quarterback on the bench, lean over, and say some words of encouragement to him. Haven't seen it like that. Personally I have not seen it like that. Although I am sure it has happened many times.

Lulay is much the same QB as he has been in his time here, as a hard working pro. (In all his time here, did Jarious Jackson, for whom I have great respect, learn to throw the softer short pass?) Despite Lulay's perceived flaws and im-perfections, which are unlikely to radically change, try as he might ...

The Lions won the Grey Cup in 2011. Lulay was honoured with the game MVP. He was honoured with the season MOP. They can't take that away. IMO Both honours were well deserved. :thup:

Meantime, we will see what adaptations are made to our offence. Benny admitted that some were needed to counter that "new" defence, now in vogue, the all out blitz on the quarterback.

I have been talking about the fast rising talent level of coaching throughout the league. IMO that is pertinent to our present troubles.

And, by the way, well done, Travis, on throwing for over 300 in your last two games. :thup: We know that it is victories that matter to you, but nevertheless ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...I found it interesting to see two stalwarts of the defence, Korey Banks and Dante Marsh, showing their support of Lulay, with words and actions. I do not recall seeing a defensive player put his arm around his QB as he comes off the field, after another pounding, as I saw with Banks. I do not recall seeing a defensive player, as with Marsh, go up to his quarterback on the bench, lean over, and say some words of encouragement to him. ...
Yes, both of those were inspiring. I'm sure it meant a lot more to Travis than it did me. It just seems cool that a team with a need of leaders would have what I call AWESOME LEADERS, but I guess they sit in the wrong meetings most of the week. I gripe and complain a lot about the Lions but there is no question that guys like Marsh, Banks really have been long term leaders of this team and its defence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/07/ti ... in-rematch

Mike Ganter, Toronto Sun ...
But Austin saved the biggest praise for his defence that made an exceptional quarterback like Lulay look very ordinary for the first three quarters of the game.

“I thought the game plan that Orlondo (Steinauer) and his defensive staff put together was an outstanding job,” Austin said. “They really put their guys in position to really pressure a good quarterback. We knew we had to do that. I mean he gets the ball out of his hand and he reads coverages fast and he’s unbelievably tough so we knew we weren’t going to get a lot of sacks but we needed to pressure him, hit him and hurry him. Those types of things.”
"exceptional quarterback"

D staff "put their guys in position"

"He gets the ball out of his hand and he reads coverages fast and he's unbelievably tough so we knew we weren't going to get a lot of sacks but we needed to pressure him, hit him and hurry him." - Kent Austin
Blitz
Team Captain

Winnipeg brought the full out blitz against the Riders last weekend and the result for the Riders was dismal..with Durrant only passing for 129 yards.

Guess dealing with blitzing defenses and not having a good enough scheme isn't just isn't a Leo problem to deal with.