Which BC Lion has the most twitter followers?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I just set out this evening to answer this question and here's a list of the top ten counting down from 10 to 1, listing their follower count, name, twitter handle and # of tweets.

2,969 Korey Banks @24Banks (692)
3,872 Paul McCallum @PaulMcCallum4 (897)
3,970 Nick Moore @NickMoore_1 (15,339)
4,030 Dante Marsh @dantemarsh (18,522)
4,102 Joey Elliott @joeyelliott14 (2,560)
5,371 Angus Reid @angusreid64 (6,956)
6,275 Emmanuel Arceneaux @E_Arceneaux16 (19,437)
7,799 Marco Iannuzzi @iannuzzimarco (942)
10,817 Travis Lulay @TravisLulay (1,097)
36,422 Andrew Harris @andrewharris33 (2,654)

Only two defensive players made the top ten but they're perhaps the two that you might expect based on their years of contributions to the team. Paul McCallum is the lone special teamer (and he would seem a safe bet to be the one) with seven offensive players rounding out the list. I must admit I was a little surprised by Andrew Harris's ranking — perhaps not so much that he won but more so by the sheer margin of victory. It's not even close. He's got more followers than the next five guys behind him combined. To put it in further perspective he even has more than double Geroy Simon's followers (just over 17,000 on the strength of just over 7,000 tweets). I don't know how Geroy's follower count has evolved in the time period spanning his move from the Lions to the Roughriders but it seems surprising that Harris can beat out arguably one of the all-time most popular Lions on this metric despite a much lower tweeting volume and (thus far) a much shorter career.

Other than this tweeting volume, which clearly isn't the whole story but probably has something to do with it, I don't want to speculate too much on why some players rank where they do but I think some may have garnered a following outside the Lions' fanbase. Former Bomber QB Joey Elliott, who ranks 6th on this list might be an example of this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
D
Team Captain

don't forget to follow #Lionbackers :roar:

:beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

D wrote:don't forget to follow #Lionbackers :roar:

:beer:
Only if you follow me ...lol :roar:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I don't like being followed.. it creeps me out. :i:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I don't like being followed.. it creeps me out. :i:
Better watch out for Little Peggy March.