What's a waggle?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

OK I'm back. I love you guys!...Sometimes...
Still...what's a waggle, and how did it enter football terminology.
I've found that it relates to backfield CFL receivers in motion, but also QB's doing option plays.Just wondering. That's all!!!!
:dizzy:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender
Legend

That's interesting. I've never heard a naked bootleg by the QB called a "waggle." I had thought (like zark) that it referred to CFL pre-snap (or right at the snap) receiver motion.
zark
Champion

After reading Lionkings link(thanks BTW) ...what kind of offensive style are we using. I read up on the West coast style. If that's what we're doing, then we're doing it wrong. I read The Blitz Report about Cap Ball...and now I've learned that there is now Jacque ball. What kind of offence are we using. Lulay doesn't seem to be pigeon holed as to style, but maybe he needs one.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:After reading Lionkings link(thanks BTW) ...what kind of offensive style are we using. I read up on the West coast style. If that's what we're doing, then we're doing it wrong. I read The Blitz Report about Cap Ball...and now I've learned that there is now Jacque ball. What kind of offence are we using. Lulay doesn't seem to be pigeon holed as to style, but maybe he needs one.
Based on last week's performance I say it's "chuck and duck" :wink:
South Pender
Legend

OK. Think we've got this. From the Canadian Football League Database, under Slotback (SB):

"The inside receivers, closest to the quarterback. Slotbacks are allowed to 'waggle' or move towards the line of scrimmage before the snap."