Iannuzzi Signs Contract Extension

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great news...he is a good one, and he is going to be a very good one IMO...

The B.C. Lions signed Canadian receiver Marco Iannuzzi to a contract extension Monday.

The Calgary native was set to enter the option year of his original contract this season.

Originally drafted in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2011 CFL draft, Iannuzzi has recorded 38 receptions for 418 yards and five touchdowns over 31 career appearances for the Lions.

“Marco is a gifted receiver who works extremely hard,” Lions head coach Mike Benevides said in a statement. “He’s part of a solid core of young receivers that we have a lot of confidence in and I’m very pleased to have him with us moving forward.”

The Harvard grad, who also sees time on special teams, had a career-high 99 receiving yards on seven receptions in a game versus Edmonton last season.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... z2NG4FNJJ5
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
squishy35
Legend

This is a great signing...... A guy who gives 100% all the time and is familiar with the system. He is highy under-rated as a receiver. I see a good season with more balls thrown his way.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yeah Squishy, I think that if Marco can stay healthy this season, it will be his breakout year...I see him as a Darren Flutie type...once Marco learns to find the holes and sit down in them, he will become a pass catching machine!

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A very very good off-season for Wally. May have come at the expense of keeping a legendary receiver for another year but getting new contracts for key yung players such as Lulay, Gore, Olafioye, Bighill, Iannuzzi and, as added bonus, Elliminian is huge for this franchise moving forward.

Marco has been terrific. Excellent speed and hands who also happens to have a nose for the end zone too. Has embraced Vancouver since being drafted by the Lions, living here year-round. Glad to see he doesn't want to put his Ivy League education to full-time use just yet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:

IMO under-rated speed. Adjusts to the ball. Good hands. Excellent passport. It's all good.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sammy, you're right...its been a terrific offseason for Wally...but the key will be the draft...there are some key pieces that this franchise needs to secure...and part of that is finally understanding what happens to Fabien at OT...it will be very interesting.

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like the signing. His speed is going to stretch the defence.
zark
Champion

He's talented and smart.
‘A learning experience’: B.C. Lions’ Marco Iannuzzi negotiated his contract extension

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/5913 ... extension/

I think he knows he can make more money in the real world...
Aaahh... the love of playing football....
Keep playing Marco!!!
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
David
Team Captain

Funny to think that 2 receivers were selected ahead of Marco in the 2011 draft, yet I wouldn't trade him for either Anthony Parker or Nathan Coehoorn at this point. I like what Marco brings to the club: smarts, speed, good hands, great work ethic, and a community volunteer. You couldn't ask for more. Great signing. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Iannuzzi is certainly not lacking in confidence if he chose to negotiate himself against Buono.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm dissappointed because his INTERCEPTIONS were ZERO last year :wink:

Just kidding. My highlight for Iannuzzi has been (and may forever be) his interception of that puntfake against the Argos (was that the same game the 'flemble' occurred?). Just shows he is capable of figuring out whats going on and adjusting on the fly. Hope Marco goes on to do so much more in a Lions uni that I forget about his interception as a highlight...........
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

notahomer wrote:Just kidding. My highlight for Iannuzzi has been (and may forever be) his interception of that puntfake against the Argos (was that the same game the 'flemble' occurred?). Just shows he is capable of figuring out whats going on and adjusting on the fly. Hope Marco goes on to do so much more in a Lions uni that I forget about his interception as a highlight...........
Definitely a memorable play that signified the level of intelligence he possesses. He was a rookie receiver yet read that play and jumped the route like a savvy veteran defensive back.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

That was a great play...and the mark of an extremely smart football player.

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:That was a great play...and the mark of an extremely smart football player.
You don't go to Harvard on good looks alone. They don't hand out many degrees in basketweaving with their athletic scholarships.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

David wrote:Funny to think that 2 receivers were selected ahead of Marco in the 2011 draft, yet I wouldn't trade him for either Anthony Parker or Nathan Coehoorn at this point. I like what Marco brings to the club: smarts, speed, good hands, great work ethic, and a community volunteer. You couldn't ask for more. Great signing. :thup:

DH :cool:
3 actually. (jade etienne 4th overall to wpg)

But still would want ianuzzi over any of them. Smart, character guy
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.