Mitchell 2-gamed suspended for dirty play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It was an interesting play.

If Peguese lets him go ... well he can't let him go. Bang bang, was he in, was he out? Hell he is still running in bounds. Maybe he doesn't know if he is still in. I have to hit him.

If the runner knew he was out, and continues dance down the field of play, he deserves to be hit.

I would say no penalty on review, and certainly no dirty play.
David
Team Captain

No dirtier than the 4th quarter play in which Lulay was knocked 'ass over tea kettle' when he was sprinting to the sidelines and clearly running out of bounds. I don't recall anyone whining over that play.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bombers vs Riders

Dressler catches a pass in a vulnerable position, facing back to Durant.

From behind, Suber launches himself in a flat out dive, and goes low for his legs before the ball arrives, but legally. It also seems to me that Suber kind of rolls up after contact. I could see a receiver being outraged at a low hit on the legs.

A hit like this, it seems to me, on a quarterback would be illegal.

Was it intentional by Suber to put Dressler's legs at risk? Was it dirty?

Suitor pointed it out, and said if Suber was a fraction of a second earlier, it could have been ugly, or something like that. I agree with Suitor that it was legal, but I have a hunch that such a hit will eventually be illegal.

Suber could have made contact in a number of different ways, and Dressler was a sitting duck for all of them. Back, shoulders, hips.

What occurs to me is that Dressler's legs could have been mangled, if his feet were in solid contact with the turf.

It doesn't matter to me what teams are involved here. It just looks like a very dangerous play by Suber, and I have to wonder about his intent. And as I have said, it looks legal as things stand now.

I know some teams accuse the Lions DBs of going low. Marsh and Banks, for example.

I recall a guy I worked with (we heard the story) who was coaching rugby, tried to show some kind of roll up on another coach (I have little familiarity with the rules of rugby), and destroyed his leg, which took months to recover, but never 100%. [And rugby may have little relevance to football, but the injury seemed similar to the kind you can get with a rollup tackle].

Not looking for debate here, or argument, but points of view on player safety, the rules, and where the game is going. Safety becomes more of an issue each year. Our QBs get more protection now than they did at the start of the year, so I heard during our last game. It wasn't too long ago, that defensive tackles could roll up on a QB's legs.
Rammer
Team Captain

First I think that the QB rule is when a QB is in the pocket and is to eliminate a 300lb DL from submarining a QB as he is stepping into his throw. But as far as Subar, he sure plays to make the receivers aware when they are in his territory, much similar to Sanchez in his heydays. And secondly, I agree it will be eliminated someday.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wonder if some day QBs will be wearing a red (don't hit me hard) jersey in games like they do in practices.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

David wrote:No dirtier than the 4th quarter play in which Lulay was knocked 'ass over tea kettle' when he was sprinting to the sidelines and clearly running out of bounds. I don't recall anyone whining over that play.

DH :cool:
Actually. I would call the hit on Lulay a dirtier play if your referring to the Bomber game. There was no question that Lulay was going out of bounds and the amount of force and continuation of the tackle out of bounds was clearly RP. Even as a Bomber fan I wouldn't have been upset if it resulted in an ejection.

I'm not sure what Suber's intent was on his tackle on Dressler but I don't think Suber is an intentionally a dirty player. It was certainly the type of tackle that could have resulted in a serious injury to Dressler and that's not something I want to see happen to any player.

I'll have to re-watch it on PVR and see what his options were.