Keeping roof open

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Honour Dewalt
Champion

Glad to hear Dennis Skulsky on the radio today saying they would have the roof open as much as possible this summer. I know some thought Buono would want it always closed, but he said they won't do that, and as long as it is good weather they will have it open. I was at the Whitecaps-Seattle soccer game in the afternoon and it was amazing. With the sun shining down on the field, you'd never think it was BC Place if you didn't know.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:Glad to hear Dennis Skulsky on the radio today saying they would have the roof open as much as possible this summer. I know some thought Buono would want it always closed, but he said they won't do that, and as long as it is good weather they will have it open. I was at the Whitecaps-Seattle soccer game in the afternoon and it was amazing. With the sun shining down on the field, you'd never think it was BC Place if you didn't know.
I was at that soccer game and it was a nice place to watch a sporting event. I'm just not that into soccer though. I was walking by BC Place Saturday night and there was a Roger Waters concert. I saw a David Gilmour-led Pink Floyd concert in the 90's that I thought was good but I wonder how the Stadium was for a similar concert last Sat? Hopefully had the roof open but who knows? I read in todays Sun that it was a good gig and the stadium passed with flying colours! No question I want to watch as many games of BC Lions football, with the roof open.
David
Team Captain

I heard the interview as well, and it definitely sounded like, while they respected Wally's decision as he was in charge, they're going to do it their way this year. And Skulsky said the roof will be open whenever possible until the Fall. What's more, when the Whitecaps played the Sounders, I don't think the louvres were open. Skuksky said they would open those (panels) up as well to let in more fresh air and light.

Other highlights of the call:

* Corporate sponsorships "highest they've ever been." But he didn't say 'highest what.' Number of companies or dollar revenue? To me it's $$$ that really count. You could sell 20 sponsorship deals at $20,000 and make more money than 30 at $10,000 (as a case in point).

* Season tickets he expects to be at 20,000 or "something close to it." It will be a higher figure than last year which was their Grey Cup year. The spin was that teams generally sell more tickets in their Grey Cup hosting year as people want to be on board for choice seating etc. But last year was the awkward transition from Empire to BC Place so I think there would have been a natural strain on ST sales - regardless of being a Grey Cup hosting city.

20K (or less) is not a very good number to me; not coming off a Grey Cup VICTORY. Hell, Winnipeg's at 22,000 (and counting) and they LOST. It shows me how out to lunch they are with their pricing structure as they have 54,000 seats to sell for each home game. The atmosphere sucks when the crowd is <35,000, so they've got their work cut out for themselves for walk-up.

* A 2011 Championship banner will be raised at the home opener, and the other 5 Championship banners will also be raised at some point this year (don't know the banner raising schedule though).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:Glad to hear Dennis Skulsky on the radio today saying they would have the roof open as much as possible this summer. I know some thought Buono would want it always closed, but he said they won't do that, and as long as it is good weather they will have it open. I was at the Whitecaps-Seattle soccer game in the afternoon and it was amazing. With the sun shining down on the field, you'd never think it was BC Place if you didn't know.
The comment of his that most drew my interest was re: season ticket sales figures. Generally speaking, ST sales immediately after a Grey Cup hosting year will dip somewhat as some newcomers revert to no-show status without that added attraction. But he indicated that they are on pace to surpass last year's figures to reach 20k, which, if true, is in spite of the increased ticket pricing. It seems the market hasn't yet reached its breaking point; as long as this continues to be the case we can expect annual increases to continue outpacing inflation as they have for a few years now.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

20,000 isn't a great number for this team...the fact of the matter is, most of the team is back, and somehow it looks like we got better. Plus Lulay is here to stay...for a lot of fans that should be enough to seal the deal...but remember, these are tough economic times and the economic future looks dark...Canadians are massively over taxed, and for British Columbians it is beyond a joke.

It think that BC fans love this team, and will support it, but they will do so in smaller packages. This is an ugly reality when every dollar our PRIVATELY OWNED Central Bank prints is loaned to us at interest. Money is born into debt, therefore bankruptcy, and economic collapse, are natural responses to this system. This is exactly what is supposed to happen, and every year it gets worse. Think about it, no matter how hard any government tries to actually pay down the debt, they NEVER CAN...it's a game run by a very small club, and we aren't in it...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: 20K (or less) is not a very good number to me; not coming off a Grey Cup VICTORY. Hell, Winnipeg's at 22,000 (and counting) and they LOST. It shows me how out to lunch they are with their pricing structure as they have 54,000 seats to sell for each home game. The atmosphere sucks when the crowd is <35,000, so they've got their work cut out for themselves for walk-up.
DH :cool:
Given this the first time since when the 80s? where the Lions have a championship team playing in what is considered a state of the art facility, that number has to be a disappointment. There were some warning signs last season too. After drawing 50,000 for the BC Place opener the next two games only pulled in 30,000 (Calgary) and 29,000 (Edmonton) despite the stadium novelty factor and a red hot team in a battle for 1st place against Western rivals. Only the last game against Montreal (35,000) would have to be considered a good crowd.

Still, the Lions seem more interested in selling seats at a higher cost than filling 54,000, especially in the upper bowl which has been discussed here before. Also looks like no deal has been struck with 7-Eleven, Safeway or whatever company to sell discounted pairs. :thdn:

As you suggest David, they will have their work cut out for them to get the crowds in the 30,000s this season.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:20,000 isn't a great number for this team...the fact of the matter is, most of the team is back, and somehow it looks like we got better. Plus Lulay is here to stay...for a lot of fans that should be enough to seal the deal...but remember, these are tough economic times and the economic future looks dark...Canadians are massively over taxed, and for British Columbians it is beyond a joke.
Man, you nailed it with this. We are outrageously overtaxed and overburdened with red tape and costs. I just wrote cheques to Revenue Canada for over $8,000 depleting my business bank account to the point there will be next to nothing with which to pay myself at the end of the month. Yesterday it cost me $88 to put gas in my car - which I rarely drive as I try to take my bike to work as much as possible. Except that I got hit by a car 2 weeks ago and my bike is destroyed. Now waiting for the bureaucracy of ICBC to play itself out (the driver was %100 liable).

And I agree with David completely. 20,000 is okay, but disappointing considering all the factors already mentioned. I would love to get to every game but living on Vancouver Island and the cost of gas and ferries means we will have to be selective. All the same, can't wait for camp to get going.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:20,000 isn't a great number for this team...the fact of the matter is, most of the team is back, and somehow it looks like we got better. Plus Lulay is here to stay...for a lot of fans that should be enough to seal the deal...but remember, these are tough economic times and the economic future looks dark...Canadians are massively over taxed, and for British Columbians it is beyond a joke.
Man, you nailed it with this. We are outrageously overtaxed and overburdened with red tape and costs. I just wrote cheques to Revenue Canada for over $8,000 depleting my business bank account to the point there will be next to nothing with which to pay myself at the end of the month. Yesterday it cost me $88 to put gas in my car - which I rarely drive as I try to take my bike to work as much as possible. Except that I got hit by a car 2 weeks ago and my bike is destroyed. Now waiting for the bureaucracy of ICBC to play itself out (the driver was %100 liable).

And I agree with David completely. 20,000 is okay, but disappointing considering all the factors already mentioned. I would love to get to every game but living on Vancouver Island and the cost of gas and ferries means we will have to be selective. All the same, can't wait for camp to get going.

This is EXACTLY why my wife and I retired early and moved to Mexico. Our earning power is less here, but the cost of living isn't even in the same hemisphere. We have a beautiful house on the ocean, and spend less than $1,000 per month to live. Our property tax this year was $80 dollars. Our water for the year was $33 dollars. Propane costs us $8 per month and our electrical bill, with A/C, is around $150 dollars every 2 months. Plus our quality of living is amazing...we have a great group of friends from BC and Ontario here, we eat out usually 3 or 4 times a week, and eat seafood everyday. Plus the infrastructure where we are, in the Yucatan, is amazing, the roads and services are as good as in the lower mainland.

BC is so beautiful, but the government has made it an unfriendly place to live...so we moved and are loving it.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MikeAK
All Star

Would be nice to get a game with the roof open this season. I still haven't seen a Lion's game with it open.

As for the lower number of season ticket prices I will echo what many members have already said. The ticket prices are completely out to lunch, from price point to section pricing. That is an area that needs to be looked at if they want to pull in larger crowds. No way should somebody be paying the same price for a seat in section 400 as they do in 200... no way, no chance!... It's obvious that David Braley gets zero from concession revenue because they could careless about attendance.

The hardcore fan will always be there, that is no doubt. What the Lion's have done is priced their product out of the range of the casual and walkup crowds. What use to be an easy decision for most last minute attendees to head down to BC Place and watch a Leo's game is now not so easy. For some it's become overpriced like their neighbors across the street... and before some of you lifetime Lion's defenders jump in about tickets you should know that not everyone wants to sit in the yellow or blue sections and spend half the game watching the big screen. End of rant!...lol
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am not home in BC these days but it does strike me odd that they would not go for quantity of fans in the building versus maximizing their revenues from a fairly solid fan base in the 20,000 area. (DELETED NOT)

There are two issues here that don't help in my view:

1. Summer starts to the league with vacations and nice weather and people not wanting to commit to games. It makes for great home viewing but not as attracting to the non hard core fan to go to the game.

At times you hear broadcasters say 'the CFL doesn't start until Labour Day' so the fans outside the core group stay away.

2. The Lions have had some very bad starts to the league in these past few seasons but number 1 is more likely the reason.

On the roof being open, that is great for the good weather games but I am with Wally on the dome being a huge advantage to his team with the roof closed. It gives the fans some comfort from the weather/rain/cold but it is tough on opponents with the noise.

Maybe the roof open for the summer games will help overcome the fan who says they don't like the warm non-fresh air.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Zarquon
Champion

MikeAK wrote:Would be nice to get a game with the roof open this season. I still haven't seen a Lion's game with it open.

As for the lower number of season ticket prices I will echo what many members have already said. The ticket prices are completely out to lunch, from price point to section pricing. That is an area that needs to be looked at if they want to pull in larger crowds. No way should somebody be paying the same price for a seat in section 400 as they do in 200... no way, no chance!... It's obvious that David Braley gets zero from concession revenue because they could careless about attendance.

The hardcore fan will always be there, that is no doubt. What the Lion's have done is priced their product out of the range of the casual and walkup crowds. What use to be an easy decision for most last minute attendees to head down to BC Place and watch a Leo's game is now not so easy. For some it's become overpriced like their neighbors across the street... and before some of you lifetime Lion's defenders jump in about tickets you should know that not everyone wants to sit in the yellow or blue sections and spend half the game watching the big screen. End of rant!...lol
Although it may have become hard for some to afford lets not lump them in with the Canucks. Still the top tier (excluding club) is still cheaper than the cheapest seats to a Canucks game vs. a top draw.

And on the 400 vs 200. I sit in 400 and to be honest their are only 3 other pairs of seats in the building I would trade my seats for. I actually talk to the lions every year to check in fact.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree the Lions are pricing themselves out of the average fan's budget. I would like to see them lower the prices to attract more and younger fans.
Zarquon
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:I agree the Lions are pricing themselves out of the average fan's budget. I would like to see them lower the prices to attract more and younger fans.
Back in the Late 80's they use to have a VERY cheep season ticket for high school students. They need something like that.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
MikeAK
All Star

Zarquon wrote:
MikeAK wrote:Would be nice to get a game with the roof open this season. I still haven't seen a Lion's game with it open.

Although it may have become hard for some to afford lets not lump them in with the Canucks. Still the top tier (excluding club) is still cheaper than the cheapest seats to a Canucks game vs. a top draw.

And on the 400 vs 200. I sit in 400 and to be honest their are only 3 other pairs of seats in the building I would trade my seats for. I actually talk to the lions every year to check in fact.
Very true and upon further review it was a bad example of trying to sell my point. The Lions are not in the same league as the Canucks as far as ticket prices go. I was merely trying to use them as an example as the Canucks have alienated the workingman/casual fan because of ticket prices...although they can get away with this strategy.

As far as your opinion about 400 and 200, well, that is your opinion and one you are entitled to. I for one think it's a shame that a person sitting in a 400ish seat has the same price printed on their ticket as a person in the same 200ish seat. That is my opinion and nobody will ever be able to justify the reasoning for that.
MikeAK
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:I agree the Lions are pricing themselves out of the average fan's budget. I would like to see them lower the prices to attract more and younger fans.
Or at the very least adjust their section pricing so that there is a clear difference between 400 and 200. I am sure you gents are tired of me preaching this because I have mentioned it many times but I just can't justify 400ish seats being the same price as their 200ish counterpart.