Winning Poll #1: Comparing the six BC Lions Grey Cup wins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What would be your favourite and memorable BC Lions Grey Cup championship?

1964 - BC 34, Hamilton 24
13%
1985 - BC 37, Hamilton 24
9%
1994 - BC 26, Baltimore 23
35%
2000 - BC 28, Montreal 26
No votes
2006 - BC 25, Montreal 14
4%
2011 - BC 34, Winnipeg 23
39%

Total votes: 23
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Now that the excitement from 2011 Lions Grey Cup win has died down a little, how does the championship compare with the five previous championships? In the years to come, will everyone remember this championship as THE most favourite and memorable, or one of the most memorable but not the top one, or one of the lesser memorable?

Adding a poll to see how this will rank.

This is what I think in terms of ranking the Grey Cup wins from a general consensus, in order of the most memorable and popular to the least:

#1 – 1994: BC 26, Baltimore 23 :yahoo:
The Lions were in a nine year drought and the city just lost Stanley Cup a few months earlier. Although with a decent 11-6-1 record but a 3rd place finish clearly made the team the underdogs. But two exciting playoff games and then playing at home made it all that more memorable. After trailing by noticeable scores of 14-3 and 20-10, the Lions pulled an come-from-behind win capped by Passaglia’s field goal so that ending made it the most memorable given the closeness of the game that was decided by the last play. The only negative aspect would be the two post-game issues that I mentioned countless times before in an otherwise purrfect win.

#2 – 1985: BC 37, Hamilton 24 :good:
The Lions were in a 21-year drought and after coming short in 1983 and 1984, the fans were so hungry and it would have been so devastating if the team came short again after a 13-3 season. But the Lions definitely rose to the occasion this time. It was helped with the fact that the win occurred during the hey days of the mid-1980’s with high attendance. As far as the game itself, while the Lions took an early 13-0 lead and played better than Hamilton in the eventual 37-24 win, the Tiger-Cats did put on a good fight by scoring two quick TD’s for a 14-13 lead in the second quarter.

#3 – 2011: BC 34, Winnipeg 23 :wink:
Rebounding from an 0-5 and 1-6 records to finishing first in the west and then winning the Grey Cup at home is self-explanatory. I’m inclined to think that this might rank #2, but there it was only 5 seasons from the last championship and I don’t think the fans were was hungry as they were in 1985. Unlike 1985 and 1994, this time the Lions never trailed and while Winnipeg came close at 14-9 in the third, the Lions essentially put the game away by the middle of the fourth with a comfortable 31-9 lead.

#4 – 2006: BC 25, Montreal 14 :beer:
After starting off the season 2-3, the Lions ended off with 11-2 and easily won the division and the playoff game. As great as the team was, there was somewhat of a feeling that after coming close but not winning it all in 2004 and 2005, there was a expectation of: You BETTER win OR ELSE!

#5 – 1964: BC 34, Hamilton 24 :thup:
As great as it was winning the first championship, it was so long ago and most of us either don’t remember much or were not born yet.

#6 – 2000: BC 28, Montreal 26 :juggle: :hmm:
Certainly the most Cinderella championship. After regular season records of 2-4, 5-9, and 6-10 for a final record of 8-10-0-1 for third, few people would have thought the Lions would pull it off. But they did and each of the three playoff games they scored first and always led throughout the games and never trailed, and were clearly the better team in all three games. Despite the margin of victory of 2 points was the smallest, this championship was the least popular. I mentioned that in total contrast to the mid-1980’s hey days, the 1996 to 2002 could be considered the dark ages for the Lions with the small attendance and with that, includes the 2000 win. Even having Lui retiring with a championship still wasn’t enough to make this win more popular.

Would you consider the 2011 win more memorable than the 1994 and 1985 wins?

My feeling is that in the years to come, the 2011 win will be placed in the same category as the 2006 win with a slight tiebreaker to the 2011 win given the huge regular season turnaround, but not as exciting and memorable as 1994 and not as sentimental as 1985.

And with the 2011 win, the Lions were finally able to avenge the heartbreaking loss to Winnipeg in the ill-fated 1988 GC, and have also defeated the other east division teams Hamilton and Montreal twice. The only thing that’s remaining for the Lions is the avenge the championship losses to Toronto as they have an 0-2 record with them with losses in 1983 and 2004.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I voted for 94. It was just an unreal playoff run. I liked the way the Lions dominated the end of this season and the playoffs. I loved watching the Lions win the Grey Cup while I was sitting in the stands but football-wise the 2011 Grey Cup was not one of the better ones, IMO. Did I get my moneys worth? Hell, yeah! It was awesome to see all those storylines (0-5 start, young QB, B Johnson etc...) come to fruition.

In 1994 it was just one crazy thing after another. Didn't see the Lions winning going into the playoffs. Didn't see the Lions beating the Stamps even late in the game. But McManus tossed a prayer to Darren and therefore Darren's big brother had to go home. Then have Lui win the Grey Cup late in the DOME....

2011 was awesome because I was there (I watched 1994 on TV). I don't care that it wasn't one of the 'classics', IMO. The Lions won and I enjoyed watching them do it......
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I voted for 94. It was just an unreal playoff run. I liked the way the Lions dominated the end of this season and the playoffs. I loved watching the Lions win the Grey Cup while I was sitting in the stands but football-wise the 2011 Grey Cup was not one of the better ones, IMO. Did I get my moneys worth? Hell, yeah! It was awesome to see all those storylines (0-5 start, young QB, B Johnson etc...) come to fruition.

In 1994 it was just one crazy thing after another. Didn't see the Lions winning going into the playoffs. Didn't see the Lions beating the Stamps even late in the game. Then have Lui win it late....

2011 was awesome because I was there (I watched 1994 on TV). I don't care that it wasn't one of the 'classics', IMO. The Lions won and I enjoyed watching them do it......
Ditto. 94 was David Goliath throughout the playoffs and the incredible last moment drives to get to the Grey Cup set the stage. Being there also helped, that was one charged up crowd. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Most amazing run .... 1994 Lions. Three incredible playoff games. Most fun team to watch.... 2011 Lions. From Lulay, Simon, Bruce and Harris on offence to Mitchell, Banks and Solo on defence. Just a very talented and exciting team to watch.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I would imagine if you grew up with the franchise from the 50s on, 1964 was pretty nice, particularly after what happened in 1963.

If you're a little older and you stuck with the franchise through the lean years that followed, 1985 must have been a great relief.

But I'm going to echo the rest of the commenters on here. There was nothing like 1994, and there has been nothing since, at least for me. Watching Lui kick the game winner, to this day, leaves me verklempt.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Ditto. 94 was David Goliath throughout the playoffs
Although I would agree it was David Vs. Goliath for the Lions vs. the Stampeders in the WDF, I wouldn't exactly say that was the case for the Grey Cup game. The Lions had a 11-6-1 record which was pretty much the same as the 12-6 Baltimore. And few people may remember that Baltimore did not finish first in the east. The Lions squeaked a win over Calgary, but so did Baltimore with a 14-12 win over first place Winnipeg. In terms of points for, the Lions had more PF at 604 with Baltimore's 561. And while the Lions allowed slightly more points against at 456 with Baltimore's PA of 431, Baltimore only had one all-star in defence (Irvin Smith) while the Lions had two all-star defence players (Charles Gordon and Less Browne).

Does anybody think it was Goliath for the WDSF against Edmonton? For me, with a 26-24 win at Commonwealth on Sept. 30, 1994 I was confident that the Lions would win again. And that they did by building a 21-9 lead before two quick TD's in the fourth allowed 23-21 to take the lead before DA threw the interception. And I stated before several times and I'll say it again - Kent Austin is one of the most underappreciated and underrated Lion players as he was the starting QB in the decent Lion season, and although McManus started the WDSF it was Austin who finished it and led the drive to Lui's game winning FG.
SammyGreene wrote:Most amazing run .... 1994 Lions. Three incredible playoff games.
Would you say the three 2000 playoff games are also amazing and incredible? If not, what words would describe that run?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
274always
All Star

1985 I watched on tv in montreal and i was only 13 which was memorable.

Feel bad for having missed 1994. Baseball was more the thing in montreal. Made up for it in 2011 with the leos winning at home so that's my favorite and also the als weren't in it. 2000 was my first grey cup in the stands but back then I was rooting for the als. still it felt like a home game for the lions and i was happy for lui. :beauty: In 2006 the als were lucky to even be there and we made the game closer than most predicted
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

well i wasn't old enough or here to see/remember the first three so for me its a tie between 2006/2011 :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
donefron
Starter

had I not been front row & had the experiences that I had this year i would have voted for 94. but after such a horrendous start and then rebounding & bonding with this team along the way. each week getting more exciting & intense until finally the Grey Cup weekend where it all came together for this team. winning the Cup & then having Akeem Foster run the Cup over to our section present it to us was even more amazing truly a magical experience
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1994 was such an exciting game. Ray Alexander making that flying catch, with the rules of the day.

Lui kicking the field goal, without a doubt.

The entire playoff run was such a continuing surprise until the end result seemed inevitable.

The playoff win in the snow over Calgary, McManus to Flutie.

This year was equally good, although we were favourites, as compared to a real long shot in 1994.

All six Cups were special. :thup:

Time for another pic of the Grey Cup winning B.C. Lions' quarterbacks, six in number now.

Do ya think anyone would tease Joe Kapp? :wink: Of course our guys would. Just not any TiCats. LOL ... God bless 'em all.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:1994 was such an exciting game.
The entire playoff run was such a continuing surprise until the end result seemed inevitable.
This year was equally good, although we were favourites, as compared to a real long shot in 1994.
So let me ask you now, WCJ. Do you consider the 2000 run just as exciting, and would you concur that the team also had a real long-shot with only an 8-10-0-1 record but came through by handling all three opponents while never trailing at any moment in the three games?

---------------------------------------

Now and then, there are articles about the best Grey Cup games ever and the writer usually ranks the top 10 best Grey Cup games. Will the 99th Grey Cup game be considered one of the top 10 best Grey Cup games?

My belief is that it will not for two main reasons:

1. The game did not go down to the wire and with the Lions leading the Blue Bombers 31-9 with less than 5 minutes in the fourth quarter, the result wasn't really in doubt.

2. There were no spectacular and extraordinary plays. The 19-yard TD rush by Harris and 66-yard TD reception by Johnson were good but somewhat routine and in the years to come, I doubt they would be considered the best plays ever. Sort of like over 26 years later when one thinks about the 1985 Grey Cup, one might not remember Ned Armour's long TD-catches early on in the game and instead, remember Lui's faked punt. And there wasn't too many memorable plays in the 2006 GC win either compared to the 1994 win.
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:1994 was such an exciting game.
So let me ask you now, WCJ. Do you consider the 2000 run just as exciting, and would you concur that the team also had a real long-shot with only an 8-10-0-1 record but came through by handling all three opponents while never trailing at any moment in the three games?
All of this stuff is personal reaction.

i was happy about the 2000 win. However, for me personally, those were the wilderness years, when the Lions' franchise was near death, and my interest level matched that. Adam Rita has his supporters, including the worthy David Braley, but for my money, Rita did nothing to build the Lions' franchise, nor Toronto, for that matter.

1994 was a very pleasant surprise, seemingly from out of nowhere, and it was against the vaunted Stallions.

2011, once we opened up the playbooks, and the play calling, was a triumphant march, also thoroughly enjoyable.

Every one is special in its own way.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Every one is special in its own way.
:whs:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'd pretty much rank the GC wins in the same order as the OP:

1994 - I was at the game. The playoff run was most exciting.

1985 - First GC win for Lions in my life. After being such a good team for 3 season it was massive to finally win the GC

2011 - An incredible story of a season. Not always a happy story in the first few CHAP-ters, but a happy ending indeed. Seeing Lulay emerge as the best player in the CFL was something special that I will always remember this season for.

2006 - Much like 1985 this one was a few years coming. Felt good to finally get it done.

1964 - I only know this game from old highlight reels, but it's nostalgic none the less

2000 - I had been in Belize for a year and the internet REALLY sucked here back then. I could barely check email, forget listening to games or watching highlights. The Lions were off my radar that year.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

From the poll, it looks like the 1994 GC is still the most popular although the 2011 GC is close at second.

With regards to others saying that it was a tough win for the Lions against Baltimore, I suppose one reason is because on October 22, 1994 the Lions lost the regular season game in Baltimore 48-31, the only regular season meeting between the two teams. But this clip shows a positive aspect from that meeting, with the Lions blocking a Baltimore punt and Kent Austin throwing a TD pass to Ray Alexander.

[video][/video]

Robbie wrote:And few people may remember that Baltimore did not finish first in the east. The Lions squeaked a win over Calgary, but so did Baltimore with a 14-12 win over first place Winnipeg
A clip showing the 1994 EDF in the third quarter with Winnipeg getting a Bob Cameron single to lead 9-8.
[video][/video]
祝你龍年行大運。