victory celebration @BCP Wednesday 6pm

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

1040 is reporting the Lions will have a victory celebration inside BCP at noon tomorrow.

Also reported in the Province:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Lions+h ... story.html

Edit: date and time revised to Wednesday at 6pm.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Still up in the air according to Wally with Matt on the Team a few minutes ago. Stay tuned. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
jim604
All Star

hearing that the plan is Wednesday night 6-8pm so everyone can make it out after school/work.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I know player availability would be an issue as most want to head south but tying it into their locker room sale on Saturday would be ideal. Glad they are giving noon at BC Place tomorrow second thoughts as probably no more than a 1,000 fans would be able to make it, especially since most got a chance to celebrate the win at BC Place yesterday anyways. Then the media ends up putting a negative spin on what should be a positive story by saying it was sparsely attended. Ackles got it right in 2006 with the stage at the Vancouver Art Gallery as the optics of it looked good compared to a 50,000 seat mostly empty stadium.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jim604 wrote:hearing that the plan is Wednesday night 6-8pm so everyone can make it out after school/work.
Yep, the Province article I linked above has been updated to reflect that change.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Lions have made that announcement as well: http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-gr ... t-bc-place

Unlike the celebrations of 1985, 1994, 2000, and 2006 that were held in the early afternoon, it does make more sense to hold it in the evening so that everyone's work schedule won't be affected as much.

Like 1985, 1994, 2000 but unlike 2006 in which the celebration was held outdoors in front of the art gallery, it's good that the celebration will be held in the renovated BC Place.

It does make sense to change the celebration to a Wednesday night as it won't conflict with the Canucks home games scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday night. That gives an opportunity to present the Grey Cup during a pre-game ceremony on either Canuck game.

But.......still no victory parade. :sigh:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Doors open at 5:00 p.m.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Ron
Starter

Heading in from Abbotsford with my 3 boys.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sounds great except we're getting a commemerative poster ON THE WAY OUT of the celebration. Guess they don't want us to get it all messed up with autographs etc....

I know lots of people going in part because of the BC Lions win but some also haven't had a chance to check out the new stadium/replay screen. They are showing a video or two, so its going to be a good night, methinks....
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So, who went?

It looks like Geroy Simon is wearing his 2006 GC ring.

I wonder if he was one of the green men?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It was a nice way to spend a few hours on a November evening.... $5 bought me dinner (two dogs). Stopped at Timmies for a coffee afterwards.

The highlight? Angus Reid asking Lulay to take a regular snap (instead of shotgun). Angus wiggling his butt, Lulay playing along, takes the snap, tosses the ball to Geroy and he gives us a Superman pose! Real riot. Angus did a great job. Interviewed a few of the players, Aaron Hunt, Korey Banks. Banks looked nervous but he had to be kidding around. Maybe actually speaking into a mike in front of a crowd made him scared but I think he was pulling our leg.

All in all a good event. Didn't bother to stick around for a shot with the grey cup (methinks, I'll be getting another shot to take another pic with the mug soon :wink: during the soon to be announced sale). Nice to see some of the walking wounded (Franks, Sanchez etc...). A few players missing.

On the way out I made the mistake of going out Gate A. Huge run on the commemerative posters and completely blocked off. There were about 100-150 people waiting for a copy and they RAN OUT!!! Thankfully, another staff person let me know they were also handing them out at GATE H. So I circled back and went to Gate H. They had TONS! So lots of fans left Gate A to go home empty-handed and meanwhile people were walking out of GATE H with 5-6 copies (staff did attempt to keep you to one copy). I only needed/wanted one copy and it looks awesome! Lots of autographs and a widescreen shot from the visiting side of the field down onto the field just this past Sunday!!! Beauty!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

On Skytrain platform at Clarke Stn. There was a guy that literally had a box of posters. Must have been 50 of them. I too had to reroute to gate H to get a couple. It was a lot of fun. The only real downer was was that they wouldn't let people down on the turf after the main ceremonies had finished, at least on one side. I asked the BC Place employee about it and he said he wasn't allowed to let people pass. But that is where all the players are signing stuff says I. He said he knows and is sorry and then kind of nods over at the other stairwell and that usher was letting people down so in the end I made it but man, who is in charge of logistics or even logic?

I loved the Travis Lulay, Paul McCallum flanking superman poses they did with Geroy holding the cup in between. Priceless.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Videos from the celebration.

[video][/video]
[video][/video]
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
almo89
Legend

It was pretty fun. It was simple, but it was nice to see around 6000 people show up. I also had to go to gate H to get my poster. A couple of felions were handing them out there. I was digging their track suits :beauty:

The video tributes they had were pretty nice and I hope they will upload them to the BC Lions site, so that I can download them.
David
Team Captain

This video taken by none other than Dante Marsh himself shows it from a different perspective (the stage).

http://www.keek.com/!OEnaaab

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar