BLITZ: Lions Turfed a Misunderstood Messam

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

No question that the major theme going into tonite's game against the Eskimos is Jerome Messam. First of all, we have the backdrop of Messam being traded after his training camp incident at the request of some Leo vet players. Secondly we have the backdrop of the incident of the last game, triggered when Dante Marsh hit Messam late, in the end zone, after Messam had scored on a two point convert.

Thirdly, and most importantly, we have Messam as the key to the Edmonton offence and the need to stop him if we want to win tonite. Edmonton has now built its offence around Messam and win when he carries the football a lot during a game. Messam will become only the third Canadian in the last 47 years to rush for 1000 yards.

I never agreed with the decison to trade Messam or the process in which it happened. Canadian backs who are 245 pounds with speed, agillity, and toughness are more than a rarity and in my mind, Messam might have deserved some discipline for his training camp incident but he had not done anything to warrent getting rid of him at that juncture. A backfield of Harris and Messam would have been scary but at training camp Wally had decided to go with Jamal Robertson at tailback this season and therefore Messam seemed more expendable. Wally also had not recognized Messam's potential at the time as he had also not seen the potential of Harris either.

Tonite we have to stop Messam, who likes to run off tackle. It might be an advantage that Aaron Hunt is out this game, in terms of defencing the run. We will likley go with both Kalif Mitchell and Eric Taylor at tackle and with Mitchell at 315 pounds and Taylor at 309 pounds. Its something we haven't seen. Ricky Ray becomes very effective off play action if Messam gets rolling and we need to take away their favorite weapons.

The excellent Province article by Lowell Ullrich in the Province Bltiz is copied below:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BLITZ: Lions turfed a misunderstood Messam

Cast out by Wally Buono, Esks' RB could be the CFL's top Canadian
By Lowell Ullrich, The Province October 28, 2011

Edmonton Eskimos #23 Jerome Messam blows past Saskatchewan Roughriders #98 Kenny Rowe during a CFL game at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, October 10, 2011.Photograph by: Ed Kaiser, Edmonton JournalThey were just three little words and they packed a pretty mean punch.

The speaker was Jerome Messam and they came at the end of a conversation as he was walking away following the latest triumph of the Edmonton Eskimos, which has set up a massive Saturday showdown at B.C. Place Stadium (7 p.m., Team 1410) against coach/GM Wally Buono and B.C. Lions.

"Wally knows best," Messam said a few minutes after the Eskimos had polished off another road win last week against the Toronto Argonauts, talking about the varied direction of his career.

The surface context would suggest there was no added meaning to the remark but the grin which was evident as Messam walked away said so much more.

Rimshot, maestro.

The running back who was given away by Buono in the summer has grown in stature far beyond his 6-foot-3 245-pound bulldozer frame, as it is clear he will be central in the race to decide first place in the West Division standings.

Messam's running has become so dominant in recent weeks it has become clear Buono may have handed over the winner of this year's top Canadian award to Edmonton.

If the Lions don't show up with a run defence Saturday, he may have given Edmonton the Grey Cup.

Prior to each of the three previous meetings this season Messam was gracious towards the Lions, despite the fact his trade to Edmonton was initiated by some of his former teammates, and Buono, who let him have a second chance by dealing him away.But an incident when the Eskimos helped re-open the Lions' refurbished digs Sept. 30, in which he was ejected at a critical point of a 33-24 loss, seems to have altered Messam's mood.

The native of Brampton said he will cherish becoming only the third Canadian in 47 years to rush for 1,000 yards should he collect just 36 against the Lions.

But he admitted the ejection, which came when he swung at Tad Kornegay in an end-zone altercation as he was surrounded by several ex-teammates, acted as a flashpoint for the anger he held for the way the Lions expelled him.

"I could have done [1,000 yards] over there too," he said. "I was hurt. I played with a lot of those guys and for them to corner me [in the fight] like that, it was a messed up situation where there was a lot of emotion and anger that just came out the way it did."

The incident was one of a couple this year where Eskimos' rookie coach Kavis Reed had to harness Messam in a way Buono could not.

But by taking on the challenge for nothing more than a mid-round 2013 draft pick, Edmonton may have completely shifted the balance of power in the league this year.

Messam has four, 100-yard games and five Canadian player of the week awards so far, prompting talk he will use the option-year window in his contract to explore NFL options in the winter.

Buono said that any football-only assessment of the trade is unfair because of the circumstances which led to his departure from the Lions at training camp, when he was cited for violating club rules. At the time, it was a choice between saving a player or his team.

"The behaviour had to be held accountable," Buono said.

Nonetheless, if Buono made the best trade in the league this year by acquiring Arland Bruce from Hamilton he also may have engineered the worst purely on football terms with Messam.

"I really didn't know what to expect out of him. He's not the most patient running back out there because he's so physical," Edmonton quarterback Ricky Ray said. "But he's taken advantage of his opportunities as the season wore on and he's gotten more comfortable."

A comfortable Messam on Saturday will have him among the best Canuck backs in league history (see chart at right) having accomplished a feat matched by only six other players.

It also may mean he has opened up Edmonton's play-action offence and made life even more miserable for a B.C. defence whose starting nose tackle, Aaron Hunt, accused the Eskimos protection unit of dirty play in their last meeting. Hunt, bothered by a sore heel, is doubtful Saturday.

If the game centres around Messam, the running back says he is no more bothered than when another ex-B.C. regular, Ricky Foley, made his first visit west with Toronto earlier this season and demanded Lions fans to boo him.

Messam said he was misunderstood almost from the moment he joined the Lions last season. It's no different now.

"Fans are probably going to boo me out of the stadium [Saturday]. I don't care. I love a challenge," he said.

"I've had a lot of doubters and a lot of haters in my career. A lot of people told me I was too big to play this position. I was a hoodlum. Nobody really knows Jerome Messam."

All the Lions know is what they may have given away.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

The theme of stopping Jerome Messam as the key to tonite's game continues with an ariticle by Gary Kingston in the Vancouver Sun.

Most interesting is that the Esimos have a 10-1 reccord if Mesam carries the football 9 tiimes or more in a game.

The article is copied below:

Esks' Jerome Messam focused on beating Lions -Eskimos are 10-1 when running back has nine or more carries in a game
By Gary Kingston, Vancouver Sun October 28, 2011

Jerome Messam of the Edmonton Esimos is downplaying his altercation with B.C. Lion Tad Kornegay when the teams played at BC Place on Sept. 30.VANCOUVER — Jerome Messam almost certainly knew what was coming.

So it was hardly a surprise that when the Edmonton Eskimos running back was stopped by a swarm of reporters Friday as he pulled a luggage bag through the bustling lobby of a downtown hotel — not an ideal interview situation to be sure, but in the CFL this is what passes for day-before-the-game media availability — he wasn’t all warm and fuzzy.

It was like he’d been ambushed by a TMZ cameraman.

Messam’s story of redemption, how he has evolved into a dynamic Canadian running back after being jettisoned out of B.C. by Wally Buono when Lion veterans complained about his attitude and flaunting of training camp rules, has, at times, been an overblown melodrama.

And he didn’t help dim the spotlight’s glare when he got tossed from the Edmonton-B.C. game at the newly refurbished BC Place on Sept. 30 for taking a swing at the Lions’ Tad Kornegay during a brouhaha in the end zone.

Messam took a cheap shot from Dante Marsh after scoring a touchdown, pushed back and then was surrounded by several Lions who chirped at him until he swung at Kornegay.

Is he worried, he was asked Friday, that some Lions know just what to say to goad him into a rash act?

“I don’t know why everybody keeps saying they got under my skin,” said a grim-faced Messam. “Nobody got under my skin. I thought Dante hit me late. It wasn’t a premeditated thing like ‘let’s get Jerome ejected.’ So, it’s no big deal.”

Messam has rushed for 964 rushing yards this season and the 10-6 Eskimos are 10-1 when he gets nine or more carries, so Edmonton head coach Kavis Reed certainly hopes it’s no big deal and that his 245-pound battering ram of a back has a short memory and a long fuse.

“We’re playing a very good football team,” Reed said Friday of the 9-7 Lions. “The margin for error is very slim. We have to execute at a very high level. We need Jerome as a part of our game. If we’re able to keep our cool and play a very intelligent football game, a very physical football game, I think we’ll have a chance.

“Jerome has learned from that experience. He knew he made a mistake in retaliating ... and if he makes the same mistake again, he’ll have two people to answer to.”

Kornegay said Friday that Messam is a hothead who “fell for the bait” four weeks ago and suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if there are more fireworks Saturday.

“I know he’s going to have a lot of edge. I know I’m going to have a lot of edge. I mean, I took a smack last game. I’m not taking one this game, I’ll tell you that. It’s going to be a pretty physical game.”

Messam has never been a choir boy.

The product of a broken home, he pleaded guilty in 2010 to punching a bouncer at a bar in London, Ont., broke Lions receiver Paris Jackson’s jaw in a fight over a woman and missed a curfew this season in Edmonton.

He claims he’s misunderstood, a characterization that even Jackson makes. But he has also conceded that he’s made mistakes he regrets and that he’s a passionate man who won’t be picked on.

On the field, Messam, a Brampton, Ont. native who played at tiny Graceland University in Iowa, is a rare combination of size, power and speed.

Once he gains another 36 yards, he will become just the seventh Canadian running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and the first since Sean Millington gained 1,010 in 2000.

While he has generally praised Buono for affording him a second chance this season by trading him to Edmonton for a fifth-round draft pick in 2013, it would likely mean a lot to Messam if he could do it Saturday against a team that deemed him expendable and against some players who don’t particularly respect him.

“It’s going to mean a lot,” he says of going over the millennium mark, “but it’s not my focus.

“I’m just going to go out there and play hard and get the win.”

And this is, after all, a battle for first in the West and a first-round playoff bye.

“I think the teams realize if the emotion becomes the negative then it’s going to hurt your football club,” says Buono.

“There is way too much at stake for both teams. Hopefully, the players are smart enough to realize that.”

gkingston@vancouversun.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The product of a broken home, he pleaded guilty in 2010 to punching a bouncer at a bar in London, Ont., broke Lions receiver Paris Jackson’s jaw in a fight over a woman and missed a curfew this season in Edmonton. - Gary Kingson, the Vancouver Sun
It seems he is a bit of a powder keg.

Kornegay says he is a hothead.

Punching a bouncer ... not good.

Fighting with veteran Paris Jackson over a woman ... not good, especially since he broke Jackson's jaw.

Having a woman in his room at Training Camp ... not seen as good by his teammates.

Missing a curfew in Edmonton ... not good.

With such an approach to life, a lesser athlete would see his pro career finished, and even never started. But Messam is a rare athlete. Very, very rare. American, Canadian no matter. 245 pounds with speed and agility. Not only that, but he has running back instincts and moves, and that is even more rare for a man his size.

He may just get an NFL look see. He may just seize the opportunity. I would be glad to see him go.

If he then returns to the CFL there could be a bidding war for him.

In any case, it looks like our loss (with the Lions) is someone else's gain on the football field. Off the field I expect he will continue to walk the tightrope of acceptable behaviour.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

First of all I detest this group of cowards that call themselves “the players counsel” who continue to run to Wally-daddy, to get him to do their dirty work from behind closed doors. This group conducts themselves more like a bunch of seven-year-olds, than grown men playing the greatest game in sports.

If you have a problem with a player or situation that is sticking in your craw, have the strength of character and courage of your conviction, to address the problem man-to-man with the party of concern, instead of tattling to teacher all the time.

This is the same group that was responsible for the return of prodigal Chap from Edmonton, the dissolution of our running game, and return to one-dimensional ChapBall for the last three seasons, and that little bit of Lion’s history I just can’t forgive, whoever their names or statures on this team past, or present.

I do not know the reasons behind why Messam felt compelled to break Paris Jackson’s jaw last season, but I do know it must have been something less than an innocent either said or done, as always “It takes two to tango”!

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=379133

With the two incidents this season you mentioned above Blits, this latest bit of trash-talking from Mitchell, and Kornagay, may come back to bite them squarely on their ass, if they don’t put their money where their collective mouths are tonight, and shut up and go out and just play football.

Let scorboard do your talking!!! :bang:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:First of all I detest this group of cowards that call themselves “the players counsel” who continue to run to Wally-daddy, to get him to do their dirty work from behind closed doors. This group conducts themselves more like a bunch of seven-year-olds, than grown men playing the greatest game in sports.

If you have a problem with a player or situation that is sticking in your craw, have the strength of character and courage of your conviction, to address the problem man-to-man with the party of concern, instead of tattling to teacher all the time.

This is the same group that was responsible for the return of prodigal Chap from Edmonton, the dissolution of our running game, and return to one-dimensional ChapBall for the last three seasons, and that little bit of Lion’s history I just can’t forgive, whoever their names or statures on this team past, or present.

I do not know the reasons behind why Messam felt compelled to break Paris Jackson’s jaw last season, but I do know it must have been something less than an innocent either said or done, as always “It takes two to tango”!

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=379133

With the two incidents this season you mentioned above Blits, this latest bit of trash-talking from Mitchell, and Kornagay, may come back to bite them squarely on their ass, if they don’t put their money where their collective mouths are tonight, and shut up and go out and just play football.

Let scorboard do your talking!!! :bang:
X2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Key to beating the Eskies tonight is stopping Messam. Good to have Sol E back patrolling the middle.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

PigSkin_53 wrote:First of all I detest this group of cowards that call themselves “the players counsel” who continue to run to Wally-daddy, to get him to do their dirty work from behind closed doors. This group conducts themselves more like a bunch of seven-year-olds, than grown men playing the greatest game in sports.

If you have a problem with a player or situation that is sticking in your craw, have the strength of character and courage of your conviction, to address the problem man-to-man with the party of concern, instead of tattling to teacher all the time:
It doesn't seem like you've considered the very real possibility that the players tried to fix whatever issues they had with Messam in house without success leaving no other option. As fans we only are aware of a limited number of the issues that caused teaam leaders and captains to decide they had to go to management. Calling them cowards is over the top when we have absolutely no clue what all happened behind the scenes in terms of what Messam was doing to cause obviously grave concernin the locker room. Nor do we have a clue what the core leaders did to resolve the issues before they decided to go to management. Players will generally tolerate a lot within their group both on the field and off. To go to management indicates more issues with a team mate than normal. While some might call them cowards for going to management they could just as easily be called cowards for allowing an intolerable and unresolvable situation to fester within the locker room to the point of tearing up the group and dividing the room. Certainly Messam has shown in Edmonton a lot of undisciplined action on the field that at times overshadows his immense pootential. Who knows what is going on off the field. It won't shock me to see him wear out his welcome there in a year or two.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Key to beating the Eskies tonight is stopping Messam. Good to have Sol E back patrolling the middle.
I'm sure happy Sol E is back too...we've had trouble against the run over the past two games with Sol E out and we need him if we hope to minimize Messam.

I really believe Jerome Messam has overcastigated. Granted he's no choir boy but football isn't Sunday school either. Messam's background normally would have resutled in a different and less successful path in life and he overcame a lot to get to the point that he is at today.

Jerome Messam had a fight with Paris Jackson last season in the locker room over a female. Messam brought a girl into his dorm room at training camp this season. Definitely issues of immaturity but overall Messam was not a big problem here nor has he been in Edmonton.

Considering that his own teammates went to the coach to have him removed from the team over an issue that really should have only resulted in discipline such as a fine Messam handled the aftermath with class. Messam did not do anything or say anything over the first 3 games of the season between our Leos and his new team. It was Marsh who gave Messam the late shot in the end zone and from his comments he deliberately did it.

In the end, because our veteran leadership group and Wally did not mentor a young and considerable talent. We also did not look to utilize Messam's talents (we should have gone into this season with a Harris/Messam combination as #1 and #1 a on the depth chart, instead of Jamal Robertson) nor did Wally take Messam under his wing as Reeves has done in Edmonton. Its Edmonton'g huge gain and for those who said that Messam would be a disaster in Edmonton when we traded him..Messam has been named the Canadian Player of the Week 5 times this season, is only the third back over the past 46 years who will rush for over 1000 yards, and Messam will likely be the West candidate for Most Outstanding Canadian.

I wish Jerome Messam was playing for us.. but since he is not...I hope that we can shut him down tonite and with two big defensive tackles in our defensive lineup it might be our best shot to do that. However, our Leos background regarding Jerome Messam is certainly not without fault. It was his own teamates who wanted him gone and those reasons were not enough to get him traded and it was one of our Leos who hit Messam late with a cheap shot in the end zone without provocation. Messam reacted as most players would have.

The key to the game tonight defensively is not allowing Messam to run effectively and also set up play action for Ricky Ray.

Offensively we had better get the running game going. However the defensive game plan by Rich Stubler will be to shut down the pass and he will give up the run at times to do that. Stubler will also attempt to funnel our receives and he knows our offence well and Lulay will have to watch out for Edmonton taking some chances on picks.

Chap needs to call a great game and Lulay needs to make very good reads tonite and get the football out more quickly than his last outing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow... the pre-game talk is making this one look it is going to a game where the Lions D will try to goad the hothead into taking some more bait.

Reed says he does he'll have two people to deal with - different tune than when he defended his response when it happened as Messam admitted his error.

We know Wally is one to spin a few lines for the media and he might not have known the truth but now the parking pass fight as Wally told it turns out be over a woman.

Pigskin is over the top though in criticizing players for dumping the guy. Wally should not have said he does things because of others and lately it has stopped and let's hope it stays that way. In any team espec. the one the size of a football team the good coaches get a better pulse on the team from the experienced players and leadership team. Input is great and should be sought but the coach needs to make the right decision and not say the players told him like Wally has done far too many times.

I believe that Wally should have laid down the rules for Messam early when the first signs of issues cropped up (bar fight denial) - but this is not his style. I doubt Messam would have half these yards in BC so the move had to be good for Messam as he'd be just another Canadian RB with unknown potential working the STs.

As a business exec. I ask for input too but don't later blame others for the input if I base a decision on it. Wally shouldn't have either but listening is not the problem - it is what you do with the input that might be.

Did Messam show his skills in his chances in BC? Some suggest no. One year later he blossoms and of course he must know screwing up more could be no job in football so that might have made a difference.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

10 - 2 with Messam carrying the ball 9 or more times now, and at 1.8 yards per carry, the Lions did take the Messam factor out of the equation for the Esks, now Charles may be the guy for the Esks from here on in.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:

If you have a problem with a player or situation that is sticking in your craw, have the strength of character and courage of your conviction, to address the problem man-to-man with the party of concern, instead of tattling to teacher all the time:
It doesn't seem like you've considered the very real possibility that the players tried to fix whatever issues they had with Messam in house without success leaving no other option. As fans we only are aware of a limited number of the issues that caused teaam leaders and captains to decide they had to go to management. Calling them cowards is over the top when we have absolutely no clue what all happened behind the scenes in terms of what Messam was doing to cause obviously grave concernin the locker room. Nor do we have a clue what the core leaders did to resolve the issues before they decided to go to management. Players will generally tolerate a lot within their group both on the field and off. To go to management indicates more issues with a team mate than normal. While some might call them cowards for going to management they could just as easily be called cowards for allowing an intolerable and unresolvable situation to fester within the locker room to the point of tearing up the group and dividing the room. Certainly Messam has shown in Edmonton a lot of undisciplined action on the field that at times overshadows his immense pootential. Who knows what is going on off the field. It won't shock me to see him wear out his welcome there in a year or two.
X2 as well. Sometimes dealing with a problem mano a mano is fine. Sometimes it is not. When several veteran players have an issue with one individual to the point where they go to the coach, I am pretty comfortable in assuming where the problem lies. What are you advocating players do about a problem teammate if talking hasn't worked? Beat him up? kick him off the team without involving the coach....What? If you were to practise what you preach, maybe you should go to those players who make up the council and tell them in person that you think they are cowards.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions did an outstanding job of controlling Messam. He didn't get the 37 yards to reach 1,000 yards
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/10/30/l ... ge-eskimos
STILL SHORT: Messam, who needed 36 rushing yards to reach 1,000 on the season, was held by his former team to 17 yards on 19 carries.

"It was a tough night," he said. "Their defence played well, they schemed well and they just played better than us (Saturday) night."
Yes. Full marks to Mike Benevides for great personnel adjustments, scheming, game planning, and play calling. Helluva job. :thup:

We held the monster Messam to 17 yards on the ground. Amazing.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

From what I remember, the Jackson/Messam thing was over a poker game in the team locker-room out in Surrey. Now, I wasn't there, its just what I recall being the 'explanation' at the time. Messam may not have gotten much done on the ground last night but he seemed to do his job pass blocking. Missed a few balls. Seemed like Lions line-men where willing to go a little bit harder when they got a chance to put a lick on Messam too! Fun to watch.....
bcbill1
Rookie

Hambone wrote:

It doesn't seem like you've considered the very real possibility that the players tried to fix whatever issues they had with Messam in house without success leaving no other option. As fans we only are aware of a limited number of the issues that caused teaam leaders and captains to decide they had to go to management. Calling them cowards is over the top when we have absolutely no clue what all happened behind the scenes in terms of what Messam was doing to cause obviously grave concernin the locker room. Nor do we have a clue what the core leaders did to resolve the issues before they decided to go to management. Players will generally tolerate a lot within their group both on the field and off. To go to management indicates more issues with a team mate than normal. While some might call them cowards for going to management they could just as easily be called cowards for allowing an intolerable and unresolvable situation to fester within the locker room to the point of tearing up the group and dividing the room. Certainly Messam has shown in Edmonton a lot of undisciplined action on the field that at times overshadows his immense pootential. Who knows what is going on off the field. It won't shock me to see him wear out his welcome there in a year or two

X2 We have no idea what happens inside the players clubhouse/locker room.