Lions reflect best of Buono - Ed Willes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Full credit to Wally and his staff ... This must be one of the most amazing season turnarounds in league history.

Wally is a survivor. All those victories over the years are no accident. He wants to win. He knows how to win. Sometimes he has given in to some weaknesses, like staying with the wrong player too long, or not letting the better player off the bench. Or staying with a system that was once state of the art, but got somewhat outdated, and out-innovated, and behind the times. But he eventually made the necessary changes. And lo and behold, it certainly looks like his Xs and Os guys were capable of much more productivity on the field than we had been seeing.

Off the top of my head, some good changes that were made ...

Acquiring Arland Bruce. Fortuitous, but still a solid judgment. In the right environment. It certainly helps having Hall of Fame Geroy Simon here as a pace setter.

Acquiring Tad Kornegay. Also fortuitous. But also solid judgment.

Acquiring Khreem Smith.

Getting Khalif Mitchell into the game.

Moving Aaron Hunt back into the middle.

Dumping the 3-4.

Moving Banks back to DB. Moving Phillips to corner. Bringing in Jerome Dennis.

Giving Cauchy Muamba time at safety.

Getting Solomon Elimimian into the middle of a 4-3.

Turning the athletic instincts of the blitzers loose.

Turning Benevides loose to call an aggressive attack oriented defence.

Getting Jacques to open up the playbook. Making the opposing defence unsure of what is coming. Keeping the defence off balance.

Staying patient with Travis Lulay. Showing him full confidence.

Establishing a much stronger running game presence. Giving Andrew Harris the opportunity to run the ball.

Going with Akeem Foster. Going with Sean Gore. More reps last year would have helped Gore in particular to start this year. Going with Marco Iannuzzi much earlier than has happened for almost all NI rookies.

Getting the pass protection schemes to function. Protecting the health of our QB. Giving our QB time to make plays. Some credit to Kelly Bates and Dan Doroazio. Some credit to the personnel decision to pay for Ben Archibald. Some credit to Jacques for changing the schemes, game plans, and play calling.

Pushing the right buttons, or just leaving him alone ... whatever it has taken to get Paul McCallum to be the Hall of Fame kicker he has become under Wally's watch.

Personnel :thup:

Schemes :thup:

O and D :thup:

At this time, I would have to say Wally has as much or more going for his coaching style as he has ever had.

I believe he had to make changes to get there this year, after 8 and 10, 8 and 10, and the horrid start to this year, but he has certainly done that.

Advantage Hufnagel and Trestman no longer. The league and Wally in particular have caught up. Surpassed? Can't go quite that far yet. Personnel-wise Yes. Schemes-wise at least equal.

The Lions are playing about as fun a game right now as I have ever seen. :thup:
prairielion
Starter

Just got home from being at the game and I believe the lions have turned the corner and a legimate Grey Cup contenders. Total domination today from all sides. This team is for real. Been waiting for a game like this in Regina for many years. Looking forward to next weeks game that could be for a potential share of first place. :cr: Who'd have thunk that five or six weeks ago. :good:
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
joe kapp22
Legend

We'll ee WCJ, a hot streak is nothng new, however let's see how they do when BC place redux opens, Empire was a nightmare for home wins.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Luke
All Star

I'll admit, I'm definitely one of those folks who's eating crow right now. I thought the team was finished after the home loss to Winnipeg on August 13th. Wally deserves credit on all the points mentioned WCJ. Acquiring Arland Bruce may be the the biggest of all because his presence inside with Geroy Simon makes our passing game very difficult to defend. Who do you double team? Do you double anyone? Running the ball more consistently has really helped as well.

I haven't seen a Lions team this confident, and executing at this level in at least three seasons, if not more.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Advantage Hufnagel and Trestman no longer. The league and Wally in particular have caught up.
I wouldn't go that far just yet. It's only 6 games. Let's not plan the parade just yet.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Advantage Hufnagel and Trestman no longer. The league and Wally in particular have caught up.
I wouldn't go that far just yet. It's only 6 games. Let's not plan the parade just yet.
I really have to say that Wally has been lucky, in that the pieces fell into place when other experiments failed. That said, the writing on the wall also put the emphasis on revamping the O and D plans, which have all worked out. Count me in on the believer party now, had some changes been made earlier, the Lions may even be perched on top of the West, just think what one win vs the Stamps would look like today.

When the D is playing the way it has been during the winning streak, and the O showing some signs of life, and the ST is the biggest concern, there is a solid base to work from.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Ain't no one planning the parade. But we have been pounding teams. Calgary ain't no pushover. Neither is Regina.

What encourages me so much is the change I see. Attack oriented defence. Multi-sets offence. Unpredictability. So much less of the mind numbing conservatism we have seen for years.

I like what I see. And I do believe the league has caught up to the advantage Hufnagel and Trestman enjoyed in their early years as Head Coaches in this league. And it seems very evident to me that Wally has his OC and DC fully up to speed also.

No guarantees of anything. The league is tough. But our personnel is second to none. And now our O and D schemes seem very much improved, near state of the art. As if Wally has decided OK, let's open up the playbooks and keep the opponents off balance. :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good post, WCJ. Glad you came around. :wink:

I still believe coaches get too much blame when teams lose and too much credit when they win, but Wally the GM strengthened the team considerably with his in-season acquisitions, and Wally the coach pulled off the master stroke by shuffling the secondary. The Lions have lost only once with Bruce and Kornegay in the lineup. It's not a coincidence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Good post, WCJ. Glad you came around. :wink:

I still believe coaches get too much blame when teams lose and too much credit when they win, but Wally the GM strengthened the team considerably with his in-season acquisitions, and Wally the coach pulled off the master stroke by shuffling the secondary. The Lions have lost only once with Bruce and Kornegay in the lineup. It's not a coincidence.
Well, thanks, BCFAN. I do believe coaches make a huge difference in football, more than any other sport IMO.

And I don't really think I came around. I'm a fan. Much more of a fair weather fan than some. When things look poor, I will say what I see. When things go well, I will say what I see. Things look very good right now.

I have no animosity towards Wally or Jacques or Mike B. Glad to see them getting results on the field. :thup:

Looking forward to the game at the renovated B.C. Place. :beer:
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, here is the thing WCJ, the only real changes have been:

-Mitchell over Taylor at DT
-Kornegay
-K Smith

Shuffled the Wr corps, got Harris more touches, and Brown, and Newman has been playing more at Guard with JHR out

And the biggest change, which Wally deserves full credit for, stealing Arland Bruce for a 3rd round draft pick, I'd argue no other move has paid as many dividends as adding Bruce and cutting back on Gore's targets.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think there is a lot thats gone right and Buono deserves much of the credit for it. I just don't think one factor (Buono's favourite is 'execution') can be pulled out as the reason why there is success/failure. Give your players the opportunities, schemes, plays and team-mates do succeed, maybe it happens. Out-thinking things is a common problem, IMO, with a lot of coaches in CFL/NFL. Why does the 'back2basics' approach seem to work so well? Anyway, this version of the Lions is fun to watch, IMO.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Hmmm....what ever happened to cash for life??? Remarkable how many ppl flip flop when the team starts winning. Hope not many ppl have sore ankles from all the wagon jumping. When there were rumors we were going after McDaniel, I was so hoping we'd pick up Bruce. When it happened I was overjoyed. Seems it was 50/50 around here. Bruce brought some swagger to this team and theyve run with it. No 1 in sacks, points allowed. Who woulda thunk it at 0-5?
Is it flip flopping? Or is it just seeing and reacting to what happens on the field. IMO the coaching staff needed to be raked over the coals for the two 8 and 10 seasons, and for the horrible start to this year. How on earth could anyone praise the coaching staff for the ultra conservative, ultra boring product we were seeing on the field?

You can call it flip flopping if fans criticize the coaching staff for their bland, vanilla approach throughout that time, if fans now are praising Wally for the changes in schemes, philosophy, and personnel he has made.

Yes, I have been critical of Wally, and Jacques and Mike B. I do not regret that. Now that the team has been put in position to succeed I am happy to give praise for the efforts of our coaches.

Does a boss flip flop when he alternates praise and criticism for an employee? Do fans flip flop, and injure their ankles bandwagon jumping, when they alternate praise and criticism? How strange it would be if fans only said good things about their team. How strange it would be if during losing seasons, all we heard was the sound of silence. That is a Dream World, where only the good is acknowledged.

I will enjoy what I see on the field. And if the staff ever reverts to ultra conservative thinking, I will be critical again.

Fair weather fan? Absolutely, in terms of praise and criticism, and emotional commitment. I am at an age where I will not suffer for a team. And even in bad times, I will follow the team, but to a lesser extent. They did lose me in the Wilderness years. When Bobby Ackles pried Wally out of Calgary, it got me involved again as a fan.

Positive Step One: David Braley buying the team. Positive Step Two: Hiring Bobby Ackles. Positive Step Three: Bringing Wally Buono here away from oblivion with the F-Troop in Calgary.

Some fans are much more ready to criticize or label other fans than they are to criticize coaching efforts.

In the meantime, enjoy.
Luke
All Star

Lets allow the holier-than-folks on other boards to consume themselves with criticizing people who pay good money to watch a *poop* product.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... -time-fans
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

i think theyre just having fun out there right now and i think its great!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
joe kapp22
Legend

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Hmmm....what ever happened to cash for life??? Remarkable how many ppl flip flop when the team starts winning. Hope not many ppl have sore ankles from all the wagon jumping. When there were rumors we were going after McDaniel, I was so hoping we'd pick up Bruce. When it happened I was overjoyed. Seems it was 50/50 around here. Bruce brought some swagger to this team and theyve run with it. No 1 in sacks, points allowed. Who woulda thunk it at 0-5?

The d was just terrible for those first 5 games, I called for Mike B and Jacque C to be canned..after the season, unless Wally B could run the offense that is to say.