Travis Lulay talk and opinions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Irishland
Rookie

I will start and say I think Lulay will be a great QB someday but right now he is making many mistakes, and has a lot to learn. I would think the best thing would be to sit out a couple of games and watch an experienced QB and see where he needs to improve. I am not a fan of WB leaving him in all game. Sooner or later he will start losing confidence. I also think he needs to improve on his throwing accuracy. His running game is excellent and should be utilized more. All the problems I see with him are minor and can be fixed if coached right. I do think he has intangibles though.
May you find peace Ripper
SammyGreene
Team Captain

For starters, way too much pressure put on him the first three games due to brutal imbalanced play calling. I thought he looked better in weeks one and two than he has his last three starts. No doubt the team's record feels like an elephant on his shoulders. He is now 4-11 as a starter in his career.
Dunigan loves the guy but was very critical of his overthrow to Peterson on the Lions 2nd to last series where he ran a wheel route and was wide open down the far sidelines. Says those are throws he just has to make at that juncture of the game. Seems to be having trouble with his touch on the intermediate throw (15-25 yards).

The offence has severely bogged down at times (how about producing a whopping 1 pt in the 3rd quarter of the last 2 games?). Don't understand why they are paying a former No. 1 35-year-old back-up $150,000 when the losses are piling up and the Lions still rather cope with Lulay's growing pains for all 60 minutes??? Why not let him watch a series or two from the sidelines????
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lulay's competitive nature is his own worst enemy during the losing streak. He gets too wound up and, as a result, forces the ball or overthrows receivers at key points in the game, especially in the dying minutes. He needs to relax. It's confidence. He had plenty of it last year and at the start of this year. Losing can suck it out of a player. Every QB goes through this, including Henry Burris and Kevin Glenn this year. Once things start to go right for Lulay, he'll relax and let his instincts take over. He's still on pace for a 5,000-yard season, which the Lions haven't had from a QB for several years. He's not the reason the team has been losing.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I agree with BCFAN's assessment of Travis Lulay.

IMO we would have been in no position to even have a chance at victory in any of the games so far without his performance. And that is as uneven as his performance has been.

I just look at all the plays he has made. He makes plays. He makes plays.

Too much pressure. The running game will help him. I think he has outstanding potential as a quarterback. Will he get there? With this team? Dunno ... (If Jarious Jackson or Mike Reilly were inserted as starter, I would expect it to be a debacle).

I expect our players to come out of their funk eventually. Even if it is by their own devices, despite their coaches. I expect us to win some games.
LFITQ
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Lulay's competitive nature is his own worst enemy during the losing streak. He gets too wound up and, as a result, forces the ball or overthrows receivers at key points in the game, especially in the dying minutes. He needs to relax. It's confidence. He had plenty of it last year and at the start of this year. Losing can suck it out of a player. Every QB goes through this, including Henry Burris and Kevin Glenn this year. Once things start to go right for Lulay, he'll relax and let his instincts take over. He's still on pace for a 5,000-yard season, which the Lions haven't had from a QB for several years. He's not the reason the team has been losing.
Were you reading my tweets during the game last night? I kept saying Lulay needs to calm down. He gets "happy feet" far too often for a leader. For a kid with the world on his shoulder and the hopes of his team and fan base (real or perceived) adding to that burden, he's doing exactly what you would expect. He is not the calm quiet and collected Dave Dickenson, but then I would bet at this point in Dave's career neither was he. Dave's benefit is that he had a few guys in front of him in Calgary to really learn from (Flutie and Garcia).
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Kris75
prospect

I think that Lulay is a good QB. If that receiver (can't remember his name) did not drop 3 first down catches, the game would have been much different.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kris75 wrote:I think that Lulay is a good QB. If that receiver (can't remember his name) did not drop 3 first down catches, the game would have been much different.
That would be Dropson Collins. :wink:

Err I mean Dobson Collins.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Kris75 wrote:I think that Lulay is a good QB. If that receiver (can't remember his name) did not drop 3 first down catches, the game would have been much different.

That is a great moniker for Collins, now please provide the moniker for Gore. :popcorn:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

That is a great moniker for Collins, now please provide the moniker for Gore. :popcorn:
The nick Dropson Collins I got from WCBF. It seems to fit.

Gore will be a top pro in the CFL. IMO

He is already catching many balls per game. He is averaging many yards per game. Of course he is nervous. IMO we erred badly last year in not getting him any reps.

Full Gore.

More Gore.

Roar Gore.

Soar Gore.

War Gore.

I used to teach some Marketing. LOL

Will any of those nicks "sell in Peoria"?
joe kapp22
Legend

One of the problems Travis is having is his Wr's are not bailing him out, and the occasional lame duck throw in crunch time.

Dropson Collins and Shawn "butter" Gore simply are wildly inconsistent and it manifests itself at the worst possible times.

To me, Akeem Foster should be featured more as his #2 option behind Geroy and Collins just used on routes he performs on like crosses and probably out routes.

Imo, our problem is not Travis Lulay's play, his isues, holding the ball to long and maybe not scanning the field quickly enough are typical of a young qb.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
donefron
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Dropsem Collins
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

It's DROPSOME Collins......I have this registered in my previous posts....lol

Gore's name is gonna be difficult, so far only TIPPER come to mind.

Shout out to lion24 for the Rhianna Phillips, that was GOLD
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I like TL. I hope and beleive that he can\will improve a lot. That said, I hope MR is good enough to take the job away from him in a year or two.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
tigerrr22
Starter

Time is on Travis Lulay's side! (At least it should be.) This is a building block season for the next season. Playing a full season, now, says that Lulay will be a better QB for tommorrow. I think it might be wise to get JJ in there to give Lulay a chance to study what a defence is doing in a game. And Mike Reilly would only gain from some more reps in practise as a designated number two for a future game or two. You want your number 2 and 3 QB's ready in the event of an injury to Lulay as well. Part of the problem for the coaches is that every game the Lion's play is close. I'd consider putting Reilly in if a game is out of reach in say a fourth quarter too. JJ can be used for goal line, short yardage and to give Lulay a chance to step back and study a defence during a game. (Early in a second quarter and then maybe again early in the second half to gauge adjustments made by the defence.)

I think the missing link to see Travis Lulay's CFL career development through to Grey Cup victories, of the future, is Dave Dickenson. I think DD would make a great head coach here some day soon. So we watch a young QB become a veteran QB through 2011. We watch Wally coach this team until the end of the season. (Be smart to announce this is his coaching farewell soon and get the city and players motivated to win one for the old gipper!) :beauty:

Lulay is not the problem. The team needs to gel. The team needs to address a couple of key positions with an NFL cut or two. Travis Lulay is well on his way to success. Let's understand that 2011 is about winning one for the old gipper! Finish strong and see if the team is in the playoffs. Argos (1-4) and Riders (1-4) are both within reach.

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
Last edited by tigerrr22 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.