How To Fix This Mess?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Let me preface this post by stating "without changing the coaches." While almost everyone agrees a purge is needed a) it's unlikely to happen and b) a better mid-season alternative is also unlikely.

* Sign Tad Kornegay and release LB Anton McKenzie to create salary space. Put Kornegay at the corner spot in place of Travis Williams who would go back to the practice roster.

* I am really tempted to replace Phillips at halfback who continues to struggle with tackling and put Banks there who's a lockdown cover man. So the defensive backfield would be Banks and Marsh, Ruffin and Kornegay with Sanchez (for now) at safety.

* Start Yurichuk in McKenzie's vacant MLB spot (with Elimimian on one side and Bighill/Henderson replacing the injured Adam Leonard). I would have made this move 3 weeks ago which would have allowed us to keep Hyland at Safety. I don't quite know what to do with Sanchez. He hasn't recovered from the dislocated elbow from last season and it's really compromised his tackling ability. He seems half a step slower too. He's neither fast enough to start at corner nor experienced/savvy enough at safety (yet). If I am replacing Phillips for Banks, then Phillips could move to safety.

* Jerome Dennis or Anthony Reddick would play Banks's nickel position.

* I am more satified with the offense right now than the defense, so not a lot of personnel changes needed. I like the end around play to Collins but that position - especially an import - has to be a viable downfield option for Lulay and we're simply not getting enough production from our import slots/receivers other than Geroy. When I look at all the options Buck has to throw to in Winnipeg, there's simply no comparison. I think I might look at Black again, or give Moore another shot. Better yet, try to bring more big, fast imports in or trade for one.

* I remain optimistic that Lulay can be a great quarterback, but I don't get why his coaches think he needs to play every down of every game except for short yardage. We have two very competent back-ups in Jackson and Reilly. If Travis struggles - like he did in Edmonton - what's wrong with taking him out for a series or two so he can see from the sidelines what the defense is doing? I think we're forcing his development and heaping too much responsibility on his shoulders. Thank Christ we're starting to run more!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Simplify the playbook and give Lulay a package of plays that he feels comfortable in executing.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

IMHO, Sanchez is the problem with the secondary. He's done.

Reddick at safety. As I have mentioned he has been groomed at Miami as a starting safety, why continually play him at nickel?
Cut Phillips and replace him with Bank as you mentioned previously. Bring in Muamba or Dennis as the nickel.

Leonard and Henderson are both hurt. I would give Mo Lloyd a jingle and see what he's doing. Just not a big fan of Bighill.

On offence, either play Paris Jackson or trade him....he's still valuable either way.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If we took the Alouettes personnel, and kept our coaching staff intact, how long would it take for the team to develop a losing culture? It might take a while, but it would happen IMO.

If we took the Lions personnel and put them with the Alouettes coaching staff, how long would it take for them to develop a winning culture? Not all that long IMO.

Not advocating change of our coaching staff. Just looking at what I see since late 2007.

The Lions are David Braley's toy. At some point he will become discontent. I think. He is incredibly patient. His recent comments, including that the Lions team is not a "complete shipwreck" are the most pointed I have heard him make. It's his call in regard to the staff of the Lions.

I just watch the games with a less emotionally involved perspective. Enjoy the spectacle of a CFL game, without living and dieing emotionally in hopes of winning.

Personnel changes? Scheme changes? The present staff tried changing things in the off season, and even during this season. Just shuffling chairs ...

Could we go on a bit of a winning streak, as we did last year? Possible (There is the positivity). Less probable this year. We don't have Stubler "mentoring" Benevides, sitting behind him up in the booth. (Ooops, back to negativity or realism).

It looks like Jacques has read the writing on the wall, and taken some steps to establish a running game (Positivity). Still can't capitalize on opportunities well enough (Ooops, negativity/realism).

Defence is the bigger problem. IMO Wally has Benevides handcuffed. For all we know, Benevides might be as good a DC as he was a Special Teams coach. But Wally's essential conservatism may be holding Benevides back. Dunno. But the defence is a shambles. Can't tackle. Can't cover consistently. Seems to be second guessing going on about 3 - 4 or 4 - 3. Can't disguise blitzes. Don't overload the LOS effectively. Just a mess ... Dunno how it can be fixed, as it stands now, and working within the parameters of this thread (no coaching changes). :wink:

Oh, by the way, I loved some of the blitzing tactics used by Rich Stubler as the Eskimos defeated the Stampeders today.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think what this team needs most are fewer personnel moves, especially in a short week leading to a game on Thursday. They've shuffled the secondary for two straight weeks. Whether this unit is the long-term answer remains to be seen but they need more experience playing together to eliminate some of the confusion and broken plays we've seen in the seconday this year. I like what Travis Williams brings to the corner athletically. He may be one of the best cover guys on the team. J.R. Ruffin looked solid in his first game despite limited practice time. The two of them should be more comfortable together on the wide side this week. I don't know about the safety position. J.R. LaRose was an intimidating presence when healthy. Sanchez and Phillips have underperformed in that role, and are much less physical.

If this unit can't get it done this week, I would look at playing Banks and Phillips at halfback for the following week and leaving Marsh and Williams on the corners, with Reddick or Dennis at nickel.

I said in another thread that the key change on this team has to come from within. Athletically, they have the talent to be winning these games. They just need to make more plays in all three facets of the game. The veterans should be the ones to step up this week and vow to make plays to lead this team to the win column.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I think what this team needs most are fewer personnel moves, especially in a short week leading to a game on Thursday. They've shuffled the secondary for two straight weeks. Whether this unit is the long-term answer remains to be seen but they need more experience playing together to eliminate some of the confusion and broken plays we've seen in the seconday this year. I like what Travis Williams brings to the corner athletically. He may be one of the best cover guys on the team. J.R. Ruffin looked solid in his first game despite limited practice time. The two of them should be more comfortable together on the wide side this week. I don't know about the safety position. J.R. LaRose was an intimidating presence when healthy. Sanchez and Phillips have underperformed in that role, and are much less physical.

If this unit can't get it done this week, I would look at playing Banks and Phillips at halfback for the following week and leaving Marsh and Williams on the corners, with Reddick or Dennis at nickel.
Didn't necessarily say all of my changes have to be shoehorned in by this Thursday, but if we want to start to turn this around, we must address our lack of size and tackling ability in the secondary. Glad you agree about Banks as halfback, but I guess I am not as sold on Williams (yet) at cornerback as you. You like what he brings athletically, but if that's the case, he should have prevented Bruce from coming down with that pass late in the 4th quarter. He should also come up with that gift-wrapped interception on the Ti-Cats' penultimate drive. I also saw some missed tackles.

This is why I said Tad Kornegay would be a better fit on the corner and I'd put Williams back on the practice roster. Banks, Marsh / Ruffin, Kornegay with Sanchez at safety (if they don't release McKenzie and replace him with Yurichuk like I recommend).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:It looks like Jacques has read the writing on the wall, and taken some steps to establish a running game (Positivity). Still can't capitalize on opportunities well enough (Ooops, negativity/realism).

Defence is the bigger problem. IMO Wally has Benevides handcuffed. For all we know, Benevides might be as good a DC as he was a Special Teams coach. But Wally's essential conservatism may be holding Benevides back. Dunno. But the defence is a shambles. Can't tackle. Can't cover consistently. Seems to be second guessing going on about 3 - 4 or 4 - 3. Can't disguise blitzes. Don't overload the LOS effectively. Just a mess ... Dunno how it can be fixed, as it stands now, and working within the parameters of this thread (no coaching changes). :wink:
WCJ, I happen to be in agreement about the coaching staff. We need to clean house and get fresh blood and a new outlook here. But the time to properly put a new staff in place is the off-season. That said, if this streak continues for another 2-3 games, I could see Wally stepping down and putting one of his assistants in charge in an interim basis. Benevides as HC for next year though will prove to be a massive headache for Skulsky, Chayka and the sales staff.

I thought Chapdelaine called a better game. Hard to pin a ball that sailed over the head of a wide open Shawn Gore on him. As Blitz pointed out though, not sure why it took 'til Week 4 to commit to the running game. The fact that it worked effectively makes it more puzzling.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

If Browner doesn't catch on with the Seahawks, is he a free-agent, or do his Canadian rights revert to the Stamps? Assuming the former, I hope that we offer him whatever it will take to get him here. At 6'3" we desperately need his size. Much as I wish him well in the NFL, and suspect that he will make the cut, I'd love to see him in a Lions uni. Same goes with Manny, who I do think will be coming back here.

Signing both players, if they become available, will be critical for Wally: both for the benefit of the team and to send a signal to the fans. Given our concerns in the last several years, I was more than a little frustrated with the Foley fiasco, but even more disappointed that Stevie Baggs & Arland Bruce signed in Hamilton, not here.

Cheers,

James
Good idea, problem in a nutshell is tackling and a lack of cohesion in the secondary and that just leads to big plays game after game after game.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:IMHO, Sanchez is the problem with the secondary. He's done.
No one's level of play has declined more than Sanchez. Goes from arguably our best cover man and, more importantly, tackler a year ago to losing his corner spot in week #3 and looking lost at safety. Too bad as a solid career should not be ending this way.

Two of our highest paid players on defence — Anton McKenzie and Keron Williams — are simply not worth their price tag. McKenzie is worth at least two missed tackles per game and would be the first I would cut loose. Ryan Phillips should also be on the chopping block but a lack of depth in the secondary suggests otherwise. Noticed him playing safety on that late deep ball the Ti-Cats threw against Williams and you could almost see Phillips slow down to avoid contact when the ball arrived. Wonder what Hyland would have done.

Also agree on why are they riding Lulay for all 4 quarters regardless of how he is playing. He should have been pulled at some point of the Edmonton game, especially when we somehow still hanging around. Why is Jarious the most expensive back-up in the league at $150,000? Might as well spend that money on another position.
joe kapp22
Legend

Problem with Davis Sanchez was not the long TD, he was also one of the worst offenders in the "bad tackling effort" category, he was really bad.

That said, LaRose coming back into the lineup would solve a lot of issues, Sanchez could move back to Cb, and settle the secondary down a bit, another problem is all of the inseason changes in the Secondary.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blitz
Team Captain

In fixing this mess, I believe you have to look at both short term and long term solutions.

COACHING

At this stage, it would make sense for Wally to remain HC for the remainder of the season and then hang them up. In the meatime I would do the following:

COACHING

1. Release Chapdelaine and Dorazio from their offensive coaching positions. Travis Moore would become acting offensive coordinator and Kelly Bates would take over from Dorazio. A new offensive coordinator would be hired in the off-season. On defense, remove Benevedes from the defensive coordinator position. If Benevdes would accept the role of Special Teams and Linebacker coach retain him. If not, release him. Promote Barrin Miles to acting defensive coordinator. In the off-season hire a new defensive coordinator and release Mark Washington. Hire a new HC in the off-season and have the new HC be someone with experience from outside the organization.

DEFENSE

Go back to a 4-3 defense with Eliminian at middle linebacker...he's wasted in a 30 defense. Release Anton McKenize and replace him with Yarichuk. Bring back Hyland to play safety. Move Korey Banks to short side halfback. Move Phillips to wideside halfback where he excelled in the past. Release Keron Williams. Use Hunt at tackle to play alongside Taylor. Release Hunt if he doesn't perform and insert Mitchell at tackle. Bring in an NFL cut asap to play defensive end. Release Brent Johnson in the off-season.

OFFENCE

Release Jamal Robertson. He is not the future. Use Harris and Lee at tailback with Brown on occasion. Move Valli back to center. He is the future. Use Newman and Andrew Jones at guard and replace Jones with Hameister Rees in the starting lineup when he returns, moving Newman to right guard.

Alternate Jackson and Peterson at slotback. Alternate Ianuzuzzi and Foster at wideside receiver. Release Dobson Collins. Look at NFL cuts for a tall, fast import receiver with size. Pull Lulay when he is not performing well and insert Jarious Jackson to give Lulay some looks from the sidelines. Lulay needs an effective running attack, misdirection play action, and less pressure on him at this stage of his career.

SCHEME

Change the offensive scheme. All CFL defenses have seen the zone read so much they know how to defend it. Insert more misdirection and occasional trap plays for the running attack. Use Lulay's mobility with more play action, once the running game has been established and move the pocket more often for him.

On defense, bring back Dave Ritchie's style of defense -a more aggressive attack defense with different blitzes and, multiple formations. Run less standard zone and use more combination man/zone defenses to create different looks. We used to lead the league in turnovers and quarterback sacks. We have to get back to playng that sytle of defense again.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good breakdown, Blitz. :thup:

Can't see it happening. If Wally ever made such dramatic moves, it would be very much out of character. He is the ultimate play it safe guy. Conservative all the way. Conservative to the point of constipation.

The only times he gets bold are when he kind of goes into a Russian Roulette routine, goes strongly against the odds, has a brain fart, and it usually fails. Punt on first down. Try a hopeless, desperation 57 yard field goal, without a helping breeze, without any timeouts left, later claiming to be going for the win, rather than try to go for it on 3rd and 5, et cetera. Off the charts and off the wall.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Realistically the only way to fix this mess is to turf out the entire coaching staff. The current team have players playing out of position, predictable playcalling, lack of running game, poor tackling, players not into the game.