Lions release two -- Sherko Haji-Rasouli and Steve Williams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions Communications
Starter

Click here for the full story at BCLions.com.

(Title edited to show the names of the players, Mod Staff)
joe kapp22
Legend

The BC Lions Football Club announced today that offensive lineman Sherko Haji-Rasouli and defensive lineman Steve Williams have been released.

Haji-Rasouli, an eight-year CFL veteran, spent six seasons in Black and Orange after signing as a free agent with the club in 2005. One of the club’s longest-serving players, he logged 92 regular season games in a BC uniform and 111 overall.

http://bclions.com/article/lions-releas ... e-williams

Well, perhaps forseeable with the resigning of Jesse Newman.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Combine this with the re-signing of Keron Williams and I'm a little confused. I thought Keron was a disappointment all season but I figured Steve was pretty good in the middle.

Rasouli, I liked him but I also know the oline needs some changes and you can't keep everyone where changes are needed.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I'll give this one a Wow.

Wally does catch us by surprise at times.

But then again, there are lots of reasons involved. Money, as usual. As ed points out, Jesse Newman is now on the roster. He is younger, quicker and cheaper.

Steve Williams would have to be considered a disappointment. Kind of billed as the next Tyrone Williams. Run stopper supreme. It never happened ... IMO. Injuries played a part. But consider that Tyrone always suited up. He was a gamer. Wonder if he is available for D Line coach. I would love that.

Tyrone reminded me of Hall of Fame tackle Big Daddy Lipscomb of the Colts. Someone asked Big Daddy about technique. He said he just kept grabbing guys and throwing them away until he found the guy with the ball.

I recall Barrin Simpson discussing the fine points of tackling with Ron Ockimey. Tyrone happened by. He pounded his chest, and said: "I take them here, and they ain't goin' anywhere." He got that right. He also ate up the interior of the O Line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Money, injuries and depth undoubtedly played a part in both decisions. Sherko was the club's top lineman two seasons ago but wasn't able to play regularly last year. Before he was hurt, Williams was unable to rise up to the standards set by his namesake, Tyrone Williams, who controlled the line of scrimmage from the nose guard position for many years.

Sherko turns 31 this September. Williams is a year behind him. They may still have some football playing time left. I wish them well.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm shocked at Sherko's release. With the problems of the offensive line last season I hope this move doesn't come back and bite the Lions in the ass
joe kapp22
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I'm shocked at Sherko's release. With the problems of the offensive line last season I hope this move doesn't come back and bite the Lions in the ass
Well, could sort of see it coming, especially with Angus coming back and Valle as well as Newman.

Cool guy and releasing him now he can catch on elsewhere if he is healthy, at least make a Camp.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I'm shocked at Sherko's release. With the problems of the offensive line last season I hope this move doesn't come back and bite the Lions in the ass
Like any recent move of a released player has come back to bite the Lions....pfffft. :bang:

Both are players that seem to be a good TC grading at least, but perhaps both fall behind the starting line and thus the payscale isn't at the level Wally wants them to be when placed on the second string.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Bosco
Team Captain

IMO, Sherko's knee problems made him expendable, so this move isn't such a surprise.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Like any recent move of a released player has come back to bite the Lions....pfffft. :bang:
Jason Clermont in overtime.
ik17
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Jason Clermont in overtime.
1TD in two season in SSK. Also a horrible, horrible attempt of a tackle by Hyland on that play.

The only moves that have hurt were J.Johnson and MAYBE Floyd... other than that Wally lets guys go at the right time. Obviously, there will be misses the odd time... but most of the time it's the right move.
Tighthead
Legend

I really liked Sherko - he had a nice edge to his game, and some of your o-line need that.

I understand the move, as it is consistent with Wally's philosophy, but I also don't see the harm in bringing veterans to camp and dumping them then.
David
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I really liked Sherko - he had a nice edge to his game, and some of your o-line need that.

I understand the move, as it is consistent with Wally's philosophy, but I also don't see the harm in bringing veterans to camp and dumping them then.
I agree with this. By O-lineman standards, 31 is not that old. Why not let him come to camp to compete? However, this tells me one of two things have taken place: either a bonus was due to Sherko (and possibly Steve Williams) at the end of the month, and/or the long term prognosis for his knee did not look good. I read the club tried (unsuccessfully) to get Sherko to retire, which usually means they don't think he should continue playing football.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I really liked Sherko - he had a nice edge to his game, and some of your o-line need that.

I agree with this. By O-lineman standards, 31 is not that old. Why not let him come to camp to compete? However, this tells me one of two things have taken place: either a bonus was due to Sherko (and possibly Steve Williams) at the end of the month, and/or the long term prognosis for his knee did not look good. I read the club tried (unsuccessfully) to get Sherko to retire, which usually means they don't think he should continue playing football.

DH
I see it differently than Tighthead and David.

The coaches have decided how things stack up long before TC. It is unlikely that they would change their minds on Sherko (whom I also like very much as a player, and as a person) prior to TC. Why bring a guy back who is extremely unlikely to fit into your plans? He is a dead man walking, due to be cut anyway. IMO it is more considerate to release him early. If there are opportunities for him to continue his career, other teams can contact him.

IMO you don't want anyone at TC who is not in your plans. They have a large book on the player already. They know everything they need to know about the player. They've decided they have better alternatives. I don't think there is anything that Sherko could do to change the evaluations. Even in case of an injury to the projected starter, they have backup plans.

And then of course there is the money involved for a veteran. And in Sherko's case, there is the wear and tear on his legs.

Just my opinion ... and ironically, I agree with Wally, which is not always the case.

And, by the way, best wishes to Sherko. I have great admiration for his character and his contributions to the Lions and to the community. A class guy. A good guy. A gentle giant with his neighbours. :beer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: The coaches have decided how things stack up long before TC. It is unlikely that they would change their minds on Sherko (whom I also like very much as a player, and as a person) prior to TC. Why bring a guy back who is extremely unlikely to fit into your plans? He is a dead man walking, due to be cut anyway. IMO it is more considerate to release him early. If there are opportunities for him to continue his career, other teams can contact him.
With all respect the coaches probably thought they had a pretty good make over offensive line coming out of training camp last year and we know how the experiment turned out.