BC Lions Energy Drink....who knew??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

So I am in my local Safeway store tonight about to buy some bottled water, when I see a familiar looking logo in the surprisingly large energy drink section.

Now, I consider myself to be quite media aware and, with a degree of modesty, fairly savvy when it comes to marketing and new product launches....especially when it comes to the Lions. However, I never heard that the club was coming out with this product. Russell Brewing BC Lions beer? Yes. But not an energy drink in a can.

Anyone else, or have I just been living under a rock?

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

Good find, I have never seen or heard of that before. I would've bought it had they put out a press release....and you would think David Skulsky is media-savvy.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

David wrote:So I am in my local Safeway store tonight about to buy some bottled water, when I see a familiar looking logo in the surprisingly large energy drink section.

Now, I consider myself to be quite media aware and, with a degree of modesty, fairly savvy when it comes to marketing and new product launches....especially when I comes to the Lions. However, I never heard that the club was coming out with this product. Russell Brewing BC Lions beer? Yes. But not this product.

Anyone else, or have I just been living under a rock?

DH
NICE! thanks bro!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On the topic of Lions-related provisions, and something I can't ever remember seeing discussed on here: anyone ever try those Red Square Bakery flaxseed energy bars/cookies? I see them in IGA, London Drugs, Buy Low Foods and prob a few other places, sold in 8's in clamshell plastic for about $7-8 — a pretty reasonable price IMHO for the amount of food you're getting. They've sponsored the Lions for several years, and put the team logo on their product. There was also this Sun article a few years back (is it just me or does BJ look about 12 in the photo? Yeah, it's a few years old, but still...).

Aside from their connection to the Lions, I couldn't help but notice the incredibly high levels of omega-3, protein, iron and fibre content. They come in several varieties, including the one I've tried that tops out at a whopping 16 grams of fibre in one 100 g bar, with some apple and raisin for flavour. It doesn't actually taste all that bad and I find them rather filling (YMMV). If you're looking for an easy way to boost your fibre intake, you could a lot do worse than this (that gawdawful bran bud crap comes to mind). They hard-sell the health benefits of flaxseed on their website, but if it's good enough for the Lions, well...
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:Good find, I have never seen or heard of that before. I would've bought it had they put out a press release....and you would think David Skulsky is media-savvy.
Generally, the BC Lions and "media-savvy" are mutually exclusive concepts.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Hi David Thnx for the heads up I picked up a couple of cans at 13th and Lonsdale Safeway. Tastes way better than Russells beer. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
LionSuperFan
Rookie

It's been out since beginning of September it's made at the central city brew pub and been on sale in their liquor store for some time been at Safeway for about 2 weeks
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Hi David Thnx for the heads up I picked up a couple of cans at 13th and Lonsdale Safeway. Tastes way better than Russells beer. BB
Please endorse it with a better quip than that Bob, at least I hope you can.
Entertainment value = an all time low
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-la ... ergy-drink

October 28, 2010

The BC Lions Football Club, in association with Central City Brewing Company is pleased to announce the launch of the team’s official energy drink, branded ROAR, which is now available at Lower Mainland IGA, Safeway, and Co-op Gas locations in addition to many of your favourite independent retailers.

ROAR is a non-alcoholic energy drink developed for periods of increased mental and physical exertion. It helps to temporarily restore mental alertness and wakefulness when experiencing fatigue or drowsiness.

“We’re proud and excited to launch our official energy drink,” said Lions president and CEO, Dennis Skulsky. “The strength of the Lions brand combined with the emergence of energy drinks in today’s marketplace makes this a natural fit. We’re extremely proud to be producing our energy drink right here at home.”

Formulated with six medicinal ingredients including caffeine, taurine and four B vitamins (B3, B5, B6 and B12), ROAR also helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

“As a BC-based company, creating an energy drink in association with our province’s most successful and historic sports franchise was an exciting project for Central City Brewing Company,” said owner Darryll Frost.

Central City Brewing Company is a Health Canada approved facility licensed to manufacture, package and label Natural Health products in Canada.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

One of the sportscasters on CTV news was drinking one on the late night local news last night. Sounds like it might be a knockoff of another energy drink (Red Bull?)

helps to temporarily restore mental alertness and wakefulness when experiencing fatigue or drowsiness.

I hear that line in their tv advertisement, IIRC
David
Team Captain

Darn. Cam "Wake" would have been the purrfect product pitch man. :bang:

Unusual how the press release came out after after the product hit store shelves....and this subject was posted on Lionbackers. :popcorn:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

I'm just wondering if the Lions have been drinking it all season. If so I don't think I want to touch it. :wink:
Roar Lions Roar
ik17
Rookie

David wrote:Darn. Cam "Wake" would have been the purrfect product pitch man. :bang:

Unusual how the press release came out after after the product hit store shelves....and this subject was posted on Lionbackers. :popcorn:

DH
From an article in The Province:
“We did some branding and testing around ROAR and the early response has been very positive,” said Skulsky.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... z13m5Z56VQ
Probably wanted to to test the market a bit first before a full launch.
Spud387
Champion

Drinking one now, personally not a fan. Tastes like Full Throttle energy drink.
joe kapp22
Legend

giwiens wrote:I'm just wondering if the Lions have been drinking it all season. If so I don't think I want to touch it. :wink:
Was waiting for that one...:wink:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.