Leos may start 2011 on a looooong road trip...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

***I started to respond to Don Miller in another thread, but thought this deserved its own thread***

Don Miller wrote:.We need the win to stay alive and hope for a Winnipeg and or Sask win while we win our remaining two games. Having said that, it may still not be enough this year. Old Empire Field proved to be what it was not a great place to play for the Lions.
Funny you should mention this Don. As Dennis Skulsky waits with bated breath on the completion date of BCP, he's publicly stated he might be willing to have his club play the month of July on the road (presumably exhibition games too) so the team can start fresh in the refurbished dome.

While I share his logistics concerns - seating ticket holders at Empire, then accommodating everyone at BCP isn't easy, I can't help but wonder if he'd be whistling a different tune if the club had say, a 6-2 record at home and packing the place? After all, Montreal does this every year for final game(s) at Olympic Stadium.

For a multitude of reasons, most football fans and casual fans (unlike me) didn't get the warm and fuzzies about a nostalgia-filled trek back to Empire. I would say the club's dismal record (especially at home) is primarily responsible. However, outrageously expensive PNE parking prices and the highest end-zone ticket price in the league set the tone for a huge buzz-kill which saw the club only once manage to sell out the 27,500 seat temporary digs. I really think they overshot the runway with a $35 price point on North End bleacher seats.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

I think it will all depend on when the shiny and new B.C. Place (or whatever it will be called) will actually be ready for the Lions. Speculation ranges anywhere from July to the Grey Cup game in November, so right now, everything is a question mark.

Even if the team does have a loooong road to start the season, you can't play ALL your games on the road to start the season, but no doubt that the Lions will try to maximize their 2011 home dates in their new digs
Hawkballer 14
Champion

David wrote:For a multitude of reasons, most football fans and casual fans (unlike me) didn't get the warm and fuzzies about a nostalgia-filled trek back to Empire. I would say the club's dismal record (especially at home) is primarily responsible.
I think the primary reasons that there were no warm and fuzzies about Empire were due to the location and the size.

Empire is not nearly as accessible as BC Place by public transit, as has been discussed here numerous times. The Lions could always count on the spur-of-the-moment walk-up fans at BC Place, not so much with Empire. Personally, that was a huge part of the thought process; to make the long trek only to be unable to get seats together.

I like the idea of an early extended roadie. Stack up the bulk of your home dates for inside when the weather starts to turn.
airkore
Rookie

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
David wrote:For a multitude of reasons, most football fans and casual fans (unlike me) didn't get the warm and fuzzies about a nostalgia-filled trek back to Empire. I would say the club's dismal record (especially at home) is primarily responsible.
I think the primary reasons that there were no warm and fuzzies about Empire were due to the location and the size.

Empire is not nearly as accessible as BC Place by public transit, as has been discussed here numerous times. The Lions could always count on the spur-of-the-moment walk-up fans at BC Place, not so much with Empire. Personally, that was a huge part of the thought process; to make the long trek only to be unable to get seats together.

I like the idea of an early extended roadie. Stack up the bulk of your home dates for inside when the weather starts to turn.
I worry about the Lions being gone that long and if anybody will care when they return......especially if they have a bad start.
No summer football = recipe for disaster
Section 16
Level 2
Row D
Greatest Lions reciever of all time Mervyn Fernandez
Smooth
All Star

There was an 'exclusive' story on global the other night about the dome's progress, they said they are on time and on budget for a September 2011 completion date. I was under the impression Empire was going to be used for the start of next season as it will still be up for the end of the Whitecaps season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I liked sitting outside for this one season. Having tried both, I prefer football outdoors. Football outdoors with BC PLace facilities, I'm in.

IMO, there is no way the LIons can do the two stadium thing next season. I want my old seats back in my old section. Some of us didn't even bother coming to Empire, I hope they return next year at BC Place. However, they gave up any 'rights' when they didn't get seats this year, so we'll see. Next season is going to be expensive regardless due to the Grey Cup ticket too. I read somewhere (Lowell's blog? or the Sun, I'm guessing) they do know we aren't in the mood for a ticket price increase. I mean we never are but it would be a tough sell after the past couple seasons of home games. This team has looked better playing on the road.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Next season is going to be expensive regardless due to the Grey Cup ticket too. I read somewhere (Lowell's blog? or the Sun, I'm guessing) they do know we aren't in the mood for a ticket price increase.
With the season the Lions has had this year it would be tough to justify an increase.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The common feeling, especially at the Empire Open House, was that they were shooting for a September opening, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions on a mid-August to mid-September road trip, with the first game back at BCP happening sometime in late September, using the last 2.5 months of the season as a tune-up for Grey Cup, when the official re-opening will take place.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

One question that comes to mind if we have to start on the road for 5-6 games.....Would people really want to come to a Lions game for 5 or 6 weekends in a row? And as mentioned previously, especially if they are on an extended losing streak?

It's still pretty pricey for the average Joe or for folks to come from the Island or interior week after week. Parking, grub, drinks, ferries, gas, time. That's a lot to ask a season ticket holder not located in the mainland.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

More to the point, spending half the season on the road would represent a disastrous "out of sight, out of mind" scenario for the Leos. The new media darlings - the Vancouver Whitecaps - will be playing the start of their inaugural MLS season in Empire and spending piles of cash on marketing and sponsorship opportunities, while we toil in media obscurity on the road? No thanks!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar